GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all.

I appreciate all of the info everyone has submitted to me on Trike info and Web Sites... It has been a pretty good tool for me to make an educated decision.

This is what I have come up with as for a prospective purchase;

2003 Goldwing Champion Trike
Silver
New (33 Miles on odo)
Easy Steer (added 4.5 degree rake)
Hitch installed
No other goodies, chrome, etc. all else is stock
$23,999.00
No Taxes (Military)

If trike remains unsold and I dont get any bad ju-ju info on this trike, I will purchase No Later Than Sat 28 Feb.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Just remember that Champion is one, if not the only one, of those that uses the OEM Shock and keeps it attached to the Crossmember that has problems with Cracks in the Weld and keeps it under load.

Make very sure that the '03 is outside of the SB-14 Recall or that is has has the Recall Performed if it is inside the VIN range prior to it's conversion. Once converted Honda won't help!

Note that Honda has taken a very hard line against Trike and Sidecars related to the 1800's Frame Failures and WILL NOT perform SB-14 on any bike that has been Converted to a Trike or has a Sidecar attached!

As a result of Honda's Hardline some Honda Dealers have also made the assumption that ALL Trikes / Hacks have VOID Warranties on all items. That isn't true but it is very hard to work with Dealers that have that attitude which has been fueled by the Frame Failures and the SB-14 issue. Some won't even do SB-13 on a Trike which has nothing to do with the frame.

Other than the problem with some Dealers and Honda's Denial of Warranty for the Frame Failures on Trikes the Champion is a good unit.

I have to wonder about the price. Is this a used trike with 33 miles on it? If so it is well below the normal price of a new bike with a $10,000 conversion added. The normal new price would be in the $28K to $30K range so it is a good buy if all the above is OK with you.

Good luck and be sure to double verify the Frame issue before saying use.
If it is inside the Recall and needs SB-14 performed E-Mail me for some input on how it can be done without taking the Trike Conversion off.

Jerry

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trike

Jerry,
thanks for the timely response.

This is a new Goldwing, converted to Champion Trike.
The dealer here does their conversions on site.
This Goldwing just hasnt been sold yet.
The Frame Recall isnt applicable to this VIN
The ECN also does not apply.

The price I thought was exceptional as well.

I purchased my 03 GL1800 (Candy Orange) New from them in FEB 03 for 13,999.00 some 4K lower than other dealers in the area.

You mentioned cross member failure... due to incomplete welds (i.e. Frame Recall, or is this a totally seperate weld failure? Due to the added Trike Kit??

Good stuff here, Im learning everyday.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Chard Member
13,055 Posts
Just curious. Isn't Champion one of the cheaper kits? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new '04 Wing of choice, then have it converted? Why not have the one you're riding converted if it doesn't have ABS?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a friend who has an 1800 Champion conversion and she just had her frame mod done by a local Honda Dealer. I think it just depends on the dealer and if they happen to also sell trike conversions. Our chapter has 6 or so Champion conversions and no complaints. Good luck on your purchase I know you will enjoy it...

PS The trike conversion has nothing to do with the frame recall

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red said:
Just curious. Isn't Champion one of the cheaper kits? Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new '04 Wing of choice, then have it converted? Why not have the one you're riding converted if it doesn't have ABS?
Red,
I didnt think it was cheaper to get an '04 and then take her down and have her triked. My calculations were from $2,800 to $6,000 (depending on where I had her triked at) cheaper to go with this deal. Furthermore, purchasing this GW already triked from this and by this dealer should enable me to ease through any needed warranty work.

As far as Champion being one of the cheaper kits.... I am not sure on that. What I do know is that it still has the straight axle. Therefore I am sure that it is not top of the line. Frankly, I cant afford top of the line. However I cant afford to buy junk either..... gotta find that line, You know what I mean?

One gentleman from this board submitted an article to me, in which Champion was placed as top of the line for straight axles.... However there were 3 or 4 other conversions that were better, in his opionion, (in which I value.)

I dont want to have my GL1800 converted because she is MINE! (mine, mine mine) :D :eek:w1: :D

The trike is for my beautiful wife. : :wink:

If I had mine converted, then I would have no problems going with the gusto. I'd have Jesse hook me up... ha ha.

Red, thanks for the input. I appreciate everyones thoughts. I am sure I will make an educated decision, hoping Im right. I'll let you know NLT 1 March.

:D 1 March is T-Day. :D

Can I get an Amen on that?

·
Registered
994 Posts
BrianSC said:
Red said:
Red,
I didnt think it was cheaper to get an '04 and then take her down and have her triked. My calculations were from $2,800 to $6,000 (depending on where I had her triked at) cheaper to go with this deal. Furthermore, purchasing this GW already triked from this and by this dealer should enable me to ease through any needed warranty work.

As far as Champion being one of the cheaper kits.... I am not sure on that. What I do know is that it still has the straight axle. Therefore I am sure that it is not top of the line. Frankly, I cant afford top of the line. However I cant afford to buy junk either..... gotta find that line, You know what I mean?

One gentleman from this board submitted an article to me, in which Champion was placed as top of the line for straight axles.... However there were 3 or 4 other conversions that were better, in his opionion, (in which I value.)

I dont want to have my GL1800 converted because she is MINE! (mine, mine mine) :D :eek:w1: :D

The trike is for my beautiful wife. : :wink:

If I had mine converted, then I would have no problems going with the gusto. I'd have Jesse hook me up... ha ha.

Red, thanks for the input. I appreciate everyones thoughts. I am sure I will make an educated decision, hoping Im right. I'll let you know NLT 1 March.

:D 1 March is T-Day. :D

Can I get an Amen on that?
I disagree about Champion being a "cheaper" kit. It may be in price but not in quality. It does have a straight axle but corners just fine. We took a CSC with independent suspeion out for an extensive ride and felt no difference. It does use the stock shock but backs it up with two other shocks therefore sharing the load. The truck space is huge compared to the CSC with the independent suspension.

All of the other kits we looked at had their own pros and cons. We looked at them all and settled on the Champion because it was done locally and the dealer still honors the warranty.

All in all it sounds like a great buy.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim N Judy

Jim N Judy

Thanks for the advice...... I am beginning to lean more and more to the Champion.......... It is so hard to wait.... But discipline tells me to wait at least until end of month.

Wish us luck.

Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
When I was looking for my latest trike I narrowed it down to the Champion and CSC. I think they are both very good kits, but I liked the independent suspension and went with the CSC. The difference in cost is approximately $700 more for the CSC with similiar options. You should be able to get a new '04 with the Champion kit installed with the 4 1/2 degree triple tree, trailer hitch, carpeting, and fender stone guards for less than $1,000 more than what you are paying for the '03. For that price you would also get the wheel well trim kit on the CSC, not available for the Champion when I got mine last year.

Enjoy the new trike .. Sue

·
Registered
250 Posts
Trikes

I see that CSC and Champion have been mentioned allot here. I also see that price must be some kind of consideration also. In my opinion if cost is the major consideration especially if you are talking hundreds of dollars that maybe a trike kit may not be the way to go. It's expensive for sure but safety and reputation are very important also. My suggestion is to ride as many as you can and then try to make the best decision you can. I do have one question, why has there not been any talk about the most popular trike kit made? I have seen many polls as to what is the most widely purchased kit on the market and the answer is Motor Trike! Brian you may want to check them out and see if what they have to offer is for you.

Usual disclaimers apply, just the view of a very happy Motor Trike owner.

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts