GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I thoroughly enjoy the DCT and bought it due to tendonitis as well as the better option on resale if I chose to.

With that said, there is a strong chance that I would buy the manual transmission if I did it all over again. MY REASON is that I have a difficult time finding the confidence to do the same thing in slow speed, full lock, full lean maneuvers with the DCT that I can do with a clutch lever. This is due to hundreds of hours of training as a Motor Officer. I do enjoy the smoothness of shifting with the DCT and my wife really likes not having the front/back jerkiness of me aggressively accelerating with the manual gear changes.

Either was I would be happy, I have more confidence with the DCT’s slow speed handling but its not the same for me.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Woohoo! I love these threads! :grin2:

By the time we get to page 74 Fluke will have stated confidently that DCTs will become self-aware, and ride around terminating their owners, and then we'll all be sorry. And wvmandingo and I will have swapped at least 30 messages opining about the extent to which manual clutches are an intrinsic part of the riding experience. It's going to be another wild ride! Haha

To answer your question though, I love my DCT and it loves me too (I can tell)!

·
Registered
942 Posts
DCT and will never go back

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wouldnt switch my DCT. If I want to ride with a clutch I take my '08 out :)

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I would NOT go back, I've grown tired of holding in the clutch at stop and go construction and accident scenes.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
No regrets and would not go back.

·
Registered
794 Posts
DCT... Makes it easier to drink from my 32oz coffee mug and I'm less likely to spill my beer should I suddenly need reach for a clutch.

Reactions: gulfrider

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
DCT is what sealed the deal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Having owned both a 2018 Non Tour 6 speed and now a 2018 Tour DCT I can tell you without reservation I would not buy another Goldwing without a DCT.

Beagle

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
301 Posts
Are you serious? After finally escaping Honda's clutches do you think anyone would go back voluntarily?:surprise:

No sir. Not only do I enjoy being retired, I love being shiftless!:grin2:

DCT forever!:wink2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
I liked the DCT on my GoldWing that much that I traded my manual shift CRF1000 Africa Twin also for a DCT version. So obviously I will not go back to manual shift.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Love my DCT, I can wave at other bikers, coming off a stop light.:smile2:
Traffic jams, stop and go, I just relax and crank up the tunes.:grin2:
I waited 17 years for a new wing with DCT and Honda didn't disappoint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In all my years of motorcycling, I don't know how many times I've said, "Shifting is an integral part of the motorcycling experience, blah, blah. Automatic transmission? On a motorcycle? Bah!! And furthermore, blah, blah, blah." Must've been dozens, at least... maybe hundreds.

I don't say that anymore. The DCT is a marvel of engineering and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For me the DCT is the most fun part of this bike. So much so that I sold my S1000XR and hunted down a leftover VFR1200X DCT to replace it. The only bummer is that the Wing's suspension has me so spoiled I'm having to put a ton of dough in this new bike just to get it close.

Marc

·
Registered
376 Posts
How many of you guys bought the DCT and maybe might buy the 6-spd if you had it to do all over again? If you're embarrassed to say so publically then just PM me please.
I'm with the others here. Love the DCT and wouldn't go back. I'd always pick the DCT option from now on.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
If you want to buy me a 6 speed I will let you know....:):):):)

However...I love my DCT....the first week I asked myself the question did I make the right choice....now the answer is Yes.....

1 - 20 of 241 Posts