GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, do any of you own the ambassador, were about to purchase one, i did a lot of research and this model is the one that will work best for us, i know their are a lot of loyal owners of other brands but do any of you actually own a ambassador and could share your thoughts, pros, cons, would you buy it again ? thanks joe ( a plus would be any one in w.pa that would be willing to let us check it out )

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hi kurt, we currently have a older kwik camp, and i like the ambassador because its completely off the ground and the hard roof, your classic was our second choice. after leaks here and there in the roof of our kwik camp we just want as much hard roof as possible. thanks joe

·
Registered
258 Posts
We had the Ambassador until a couple of years ago when we sold it. We went to a motorhome. It was a great little camper. We had the queen bed option and used the other bed for storage. We got a few camping items from Cabella's for storage. I would not hesitate to get another one if we were going back to that style of camping.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Joe,
my brother-in-law and i own an ambassador, we bought it used from a member of this board, and we love it. It worked out for our needs because it has 2 separate beds that he and i can use when we do a yearly cross country trip. Cant seem to get our wives to partake in 8,000 mile rides with us:roll:.

we havent had a problem with the storage area also being the floor of the tent when it is set up. we have so much camping gear that comes out of the camper when we set up camp (chairs, tables, sleeping bags, weber grill, lanterns, etc.), and the bags that we both have for clothes can either set up close to the front in the floor or in the corner of the bed.

on the plus side...... the camper can sleep 2 couples, the hard roof in the center and the heavy duty tent roof over the beds are great, weve been in several downpours and have stayed dry. The storage is incredible, dont forget the two "basements", one holds a spare tire and can also store other small seldom needed items and the other one is empty (we are able to store just about all of our cooking equipment in this one....stove, 5 small propane tanks, pots, pans, and alot more)

on the minus side....difficult to set up by yourself, much easier with two people. it will still take about 10-15 minutes to do even with two people. many of the other campers look like they can be set up in just a few minutes with only one person. With as much storage space as is available, you can very easily get more weighted down than you should be. 500-600 pounds including the trailer is not difficult to do, so you have to be careful, we have pulled it crosscountry probably with much more weight than we should without any problems, but its not adviseable.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey thanks for the input guys, i was camping solo down in w.v. and a guy at the campground had a ambassador and loved his also, he showed me around it and i thought it was great, but the wife wasnt on that trip and you know the saying when shes happy were all happy ;) so i was all set to show her one at the cleveland cycle show but they had to pull out of the show. we have the brochures and were looking at it on the web so i think were going to bite the bullet and just order one for spring delivery. another question did any of you have the electric brakes, i have researching different sites on the web and it seems that the majority feel that their not needed and some said their even dangerous. thanks again joe

·
Registered
258 Posts
We had the electric brakes and really liked them. We have pulled many bigger campers so I am used to them and how to get them set properly. Once they are set they really help stop you under control. We had to make a panic in a small town once and the unit (bike & camper) stop very quickly and in a straight line.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I would be cautious about electric brakes on a MC pull behind trailer. I tow a light camper and see no need for brakes on the trailer. They can get you in trouble expecially on gravel. I suggest you do some research on the brakes before deciding. JMHO

Fred

07 Blue Wing

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the input guys, i have a kaw. voyager that i tow a older kwik camp with and i never had any problems, i know the ambassador is a little more heavy, but the brakes are so much better on the wing. thanks again joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts