GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I just returned last night from a couple weeks out west and ran into rain. My Classic is 8 years old and I have scotch guarded the tenting a few years ago so it is probably due another treatment but my leak is coming in at the head of the bed (small window end) around the corners where the roof runs over the metal tubing at the ceiling corners. It is NO FUN having a wet mattress! I am thinking about using silicone caulk (bath tub sealer) and smearing it into the seams with my finger.

Have any of you had any of these leaking issues and how have you resolved them?

Bryan

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you would, keep us posted on you're successes. I wonder if there might be others out here with the same problem.

I've been plagued with a "leakage" problem on my '09 and have yet to find the right answer. Unfortunately seam sealer didn't help and the camper shouldn't be old enough to be in need of a Scotch Guard treatment.

As a stop-gap fix I had my mattress cut down to a California Queen size which kept the sides dry because now it doesn't touch the side of the tent.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you would, keep us posted on you're successes. I wonder if there might be others out here with the same problem.

I've been plagued with a "leakage" problem on my '09 and have yet to find the right answer. Unfortunately seam sealer didn't help and the camper shouldn't be old enough to be in need of a Scotch Guard treatment.

As a stop-gap fix I had my mattress cut down to a California Queen size which kept the sides dry because now it doesn't touch the side of the tent.
I will post results but it probably won't be this year as our vacation has ended.

You mentioned the sides touching, we also had this problem in 2003, the first year we owned it. We were on a long trip to Maine and in the rain for 4 days in a row and the mattress was wet and miserable. That off season I ordered (on line) a rigid side-walled waterbed liner to fit a California King to go under the mattress and simply cut the end corners that were on the standing area. That way that end folded down so you could get in and out of bed and also get access to the cargo area. That did work great but you always were dealing with the liner. I still have it but this year while cleaning before the trip I took it out and neglected to put it back in before our trip. Mistake! It will go back in next trip but I was hoping we wouldn't need it any more so I am looking for a fix.

The thing that was nice about the liner is the rigid walls were about 6 inches tall and pretty well held up by the mattress keeping and bed clothes and the mattress separated from the wet of the canvass to the outside of the liner. I did leave it under the mattress when I folded the camper up by bending the rigid areas that needed to be bent for folding.

As for scotch guarding, I don't think this tent material was scotch guarded when new which it should have been.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts