GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry. I know this has been beat to death, but no archives.

Now I'm interested :D

We use to go for 3 weeks just riding and camping, never going inside. Now we usually motel at least every three days just to clean up and recharge. Getting tired of setting up, and Lazygirl is getting a little too weak to ride her own bike for days on end. She's tiny and has NO upper body strength. Her 500 lb bike was always a little marginal for her 100 lb body, but as we see 50 receding in our rear view mirror it starts to look foolhardy instead of adventurous for her.

If she starts riding with me we lose my rear seat room and her rear seat and luggage room, so a trailer starts to look like an option. (I swore I'd rather drive a car than do this, but I swore I'd never trust anybody over 30 once too.) :D

I know a cargo trailer would be more versatile, but I'm really getting sick of setting up tents. Does the pop up take as long as a tent? Does it help as far as mud, etc.?

Any of you who have owned or seen a lot of these at motorcycle "events", I'd really appreciate any input.

The two I mentioned seem very similar in design. Since I'm not a social animal, I've never been able to see these side by side, etc.

Thanks in advance, folks.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Aspen Classic or Time out?

we purchased a used Aspen Classic. it was only used once. We like it alot. Towed it all over the place last summer. Spent 6 nights in the rain. Good amount of space, air and dry. Don't worry about being "off the ground". No water gets in and if it rains that much, who wants to camp anyhow? I do recommend getting the brake option. The Classic is a bit heavy. Yes, you can drive slower and try to anticipate everything that might happen, but even with the 'wings great brakes, I sometimes wonder if it's all going to stop. I've been talking with Dexter and will be purchasing brakes to installbefore the next camping season. I believe all the hype about trailer brakes really is about lighter trailers. Anyways, you can set the braking lighter and still have some braking control. Hope this helps. God Bless!

·
Registered
353 Posts
We researched them all, talked to owners of different brands camping at rallies, asked alot of questions on the internet and then we bought a Aspen Classic and had it delivered in May of 2003, we used it 18 night in 2003 and we think it is one of the best campers.

We did the cargo trailer for a couple summers and got tired of setting up the tent and getting up off of the air mattress to get out off bed, getting to old for that.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Lazyboy said:
Sorry. I know this has been beat to death, but no archives.
Now I'm interested :D
If I remember correctly, a guy named Socrates did a lot of studying about camping trailers for the Wing and he chose the Time-Out brand.

So, you probably wouldn't go too far wrong with either of the two you mentioned. Your best bet would be to see them both and pick the one you think is best. I know, that's easier to say than do, but are there any motorcycle rallies near you in the Spring?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I currently have a Bunkhouse and really like it. http://www.bf-specialties.com/ The Aspen looks like a very similar trailer. http://www.trailmasterinc.com/aspclassic/aspclassic.html We have a friend that has a Time-Out and you need to take some time out to put it up. It has a lot of space but it doesn't set up fast like the Bunkhouse and the Aspen and storage is limited. I would go with the Bunkhouse or Aspen Classic

:yw1:

·
Registered
513 Posts
We bought a new Aspen Classic this last summer while on vacation and traveled 4600 miles ond slept in it for about two weeks. I ordered it beforhand and had them send me the plug so I could wire it up before the trip. I also found (on line) a brake controller called the Prodigy. I choose that one because it has no moving parts and its small enough to fit in my right glove box. It also came highly recommended by a friend. Our trip was very nice and we like the camper a lot. The brake controller also worked very well.

The only real trouble that we has was we got caught in 4 days of rain. The floor was always getting muddy from us tracking the rain in. We didn't have a piece of carpet (which is recommended) to put down after we set up. Also the mattress got wet from the water wicking in on the sides whenever our bedding touched it. This spring I am going to try to weather proof those areas and get a piece of carpet.

Out side of all of that, we love it. It tows great, has plenty of storage (25 cubic feet), and we got a lot of positive looks, smiles, and thumbs-up from people on the highways. We did get a lot of other looks like "Look at those crazy people riding in the rain". One nice thing that although I hardly ever had to, I could open the cargo hold even if the camper wasn't set up. Good luck in making your dicision

Bryansong

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Motel for me

I love the great outdoors, sitting around the campfire after a nice dinner, and shooting the bull, but I have decided that motels are the way for me to go. You ride all day and at the end your are dirty and tired. I prefer the Ma/Pa motels with exterior doors where you park in front (less of them every day, but still a lot of them around), have a great shower and a soft bed. Beats the heck out of the ground, even with some of the great air/foam mattresses that are out there today. And, if it rains, well, enough said. I can stay in a lot of motels for the price of the trailer plus the price of campsites. Really depends upon what one wants. One or the other -- depends upon the individual. Some of these guys have great advice on trailers if you want it.

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have a Bunkhouse and wouldn't leave home without it. Lots of room, pulls great and sets up real fast. The Aspen is just about the same, so I'd recommend either one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lazyboy,

Our new Time Out will be delivered tomorrow or Saturday. We took a camping/motel vacation from Seattle to New Orleans last Sept. and ended up camping only once because of set up and tear down. I have no experience with either camper yet but Time Out did send me a video that shows how fast they go up. You can get one from them by calling or I can send you mine if you like. Living in Seattle we decided to get the camper off the ground! We also ordered the electric brake option. I'll let you know how it works out!
U.M. :D

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The Bunkhouse is the way to go. Never get wet from the rain and with the add a room we never track in mud. The newer ones have a small awning that works great. The trick is to set it up on a sunny day and wet the whole camper down then as it dries the thread that holds it together shrinks a little making it water tite. A can of camp dry afterwards and no more water, we have used ours for 5 or 6 years now and would not buy anything else. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts