GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: Does anyone have an Aspen Classic where the front of the tent is starting to sag. The extended support poles just aren't sturdy enough to hold the front up. When it rains I got water inside.

My fix: Went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of PVC to fit over a tent pole and also got a 1" "T" to fit on the top of the PVC. I cut the PVC "T" so it creates a "U" channel.
While inside the tent, I slide the PVC over the tent pole and extend it up so the front support sits insided the "U" channel. I extend the poles (one on each side) to lift up the whole front of the camper tent.

Two benefits --- The roof poles dont fall and the water stays out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It will sag some, also if there is a good wind the bed will fold and the front will collapse. There are a couple of grommets on the side oppposite of the door that are supposed to be to tie it down but I came up with a good solution similar to yours. I got a couple of tent poles that extend and lock that had tips on them that are about 1/4 inch pins. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the aluminum cross bar as close a possible to each of the front corners (only go through 1 layer of the aluminum). I set the poles in the corner of the floor, set the tip in the holes I drilled and then snug them up. Makes it stand up real nice and straight.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Problem: Does anyone have an Aspen Classic where the front of the tent is starting to sag. The extended support poles just aren't sturdy enough to hold the front up. When it rains I got water inside.

My fix: Went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of PVC to fit over a tent pole and also got a 1" "T" to fit on the top of the PVC. I cut the PVC "T" so it creates a "U" channel.
While inside the tent, I slide the PVC over the tent pole and extend it up so the front support sits insided the "U" channel. I extend the poles (one on each side) to lift up the whole front of the camper tent.

Two benefits --- The roof poles dont fall and the water stays out.
It will sag some, also if there is a good wind the bed will fold and the front will collapse. There are a couple of grommets on the side oppposite of the door that are supposed to be to tie it down but I came up with a good solution similar to yours. I got a couple of tent poles that extend and lock that had tips on them that are about 1/4 inch pins. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the aluminum cross bar as close a possible to each of the front corners (only go through 1 layer of the aluminum). I set the poles in the corner of the floor, set the tip in the holes I drilled and then snug them up. Makes it stand up real nice and straight.
Do either of you have pictures of the problem and your solution?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If the bed board legs aren't adjusted so the bed is flat with the trailer top the door end will sag.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Even with the bed board set all the way down it will sag some, using the poles inside makes the front stand up tall and steady.

I don't have pics, but we are going out with it this weekend so if I remember (CRS afflicted) I will try to get some pics up.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Even with the bed board set all the way down it will sag some, using the poles inside makes the front stand up tall and steady.

I don't have pics, but we are going out with it this weekend so if I remember (CRS afflicted) I will try to get some pics up.
Thanks, Hope you remember... I have advanced CRS... oh wait what were we talking about?:confused:

·
Registered
67 Posts
You did good grasshopper

:bow: I too had the same problem from the day I bought it home. Then while camping witha GWRRA group, another camper with an Aspen, showed me the same set up. Works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:
I don't know if Aspen/ Trailmaster is aware of the issue but it appears that several of us have the same problem..
KEEP ON CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!:superman1:

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have had the same problem with the Bunkhouse. I purchased another set of the tent poles(normally used for awning top) and use these extra poles through the grommets attached to the outside top of the door opening. By extending the poles through the grommet can raise the front as much as I need to. I have used a stake/rope to support this pole for further rigidity in high winds. So far seems to work quite well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
tennis balls

One more thing, place a tennis ball on the bottom of your poll. better for the flooring, just X cut the ball and put the bottom of the pole in it. Just another idea passed on from another tenter. :thumbup:
:doorag:

·
Registered
70 Posts
What we do is run string from the bed-end corner grommets to the ground, stake it to the ground and tighten. That pulls and holds the door end up. I love the Aspen, but one thing that bugs me is how the tonneau cover balloons up while traveling. I did unhook the rear windhook and that helps somewhat. Maybe that is what you have to deal with when you have a soft cover.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Hey DGW,
Did you remember??

·
Registered
336 Posts
We got rained on pretty good while there but I did get some pics while drying things out. My modem died and I just got back online tonight.

Without the poles. It doesn't really show but the part below the door is pretty much sitting on the floor when it should be about 5 inches high. Also look at the corner in the right of the pic.

Here the part below the door is sitting upright and the corners are standing up straight.

Here is how I secure the pole in the corner. I have a new idea, I am going to call trailmaster and see if I can get a couple of the plastic clips that go on the ends of the roof bows. I am concerned that if something happened to pop the upper bar off the post that point could do some serious damage to the roof.

I don't know why the pictures did not come out the same, I resized them all the same. Something wierd is going on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts