GL1800Riders Forums banner

Aspen Classic

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Paddygfw 
#1 ·
Hi everyone
I am writing this to inform anyone who is in the market for a trailer what they can expect from an Aspen Classic

I purchased the trailer in May of 08. The tenting material has stretched and the side walls of the tent in the room area fold and when it rains the floor gets flooded. I have since put adjustable poles in the front and this has helped but the problem is still there.
The windows also leak when it rains and the bed gets wet (not a nice thing to wake up in wet blankets). I tried spraying the tent with a water proofing material, it helped but the bed still got wet in a heavy rain. I now cover the bed area with a trap.
I have contacted Aspen about my problems and was told that it not uncommon for the tent to stretch and there is nothing they can do to fix the problem. The only advice they could give me was to buy the poles which I had already done. They tell you when you buy the trailer that it has a years warranty.
Buyer beware

Edit
The owner of the company has contacted me and is standing behind his product 100%....I am fully satisfied with the respect he showed and repairing the problem I had

See less See more
#2 ·
We've had our 2004 Aspen Classic for two year now. We've towed it almost 16,000 miles now and have probably spent between 50 and 60 nights in it in all sorts of weather.

We were in Billings for Wing Ding in 2007 and only had very slight dampness at the edge of the mattress after all that crazy wind & rain.

Yes the sides have stretched a little (I think the weather in Billings was the largest contributor to this) and if it rains hard enough the edges of the mattress occasionally get a little damp. No big deal as far as I’m concerned. If getting a little damp on occasion was a problem I wouldn’t camp.

My wife and I are extremely happy with the trailer and we've found Aspen's customer service to be top notch. They sent us a set of the plastic side & back awning poles that we never got from the previous owner free of charge.

Sorry you're not happy with yours Paddygfw but we love ours and wouldn't hesitate to buy another Aspen. For what they charge I think you get a lot for your money. Just my two cents…..

Cheers,
Steve

#3 ·
We have had our Classic for a couple of years now. Love it!

We weathered a couple of nights of Hurricane Faye last year along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Rained pretty hard with wind. Not a drop in the camper as far as we could tell.

Camped in the wind and rain at Neihaus open house last May. Only complaint, it ain't got any insulation! Heater and blankets were the only option LOL.

I find that if you are not on a pretty level site, the tent can sag or stretch, depending if the door side is higher or lower. On level ground it is really good.

Sorry you have issues, but I am supprised that Aspen won't respond. They have been very helpful to us.

#4 ·
I am only relating the problems I have had and their response to me. Maybe they have changed the material they use ....I don't know .....I just wanted to warn anyone buying a trailer this is what you can expect...wish someone had told me before I bought mine

#5 ·
I know it can be frustrating when you have made a big purchasing only to have trouble. Sorry for your disapointment. I too was frustrated so I set out to make it better. Afterall, it would be too big of a problem to take it back to where I bought it.

The first year my wife and I used the trailer we also got wet, everything got wet. We stayed wet for many days so I know how miserable that can be. As far as our floor goes, it did get wet also but probably not to the degree that you had. I found that if you pull the head of the bed end (from the out of the tent) while setting up that tends to lift the tenting floor a little higher to where it's water resistant bottom sits more like a bowl helping to keep the water out.

Another thing I've learned is to have a bigger tarp that goes under the floor, I think I bought an 8 x 10. I think water runoff direction should be determined while setting up the camper so I look at the grade or slope if any and try to orient the camper where I can have about a foot or so high of tarp leaning against the tire and walls of the camper before opening the tent. That way if water comes running under the trailer it will not only go under the tarp but with the tenting sandwiching the tarp to the wheel and trailer side that help shed water off to the side. Still, keeping the waterproof base of the room up (bowl) and the door opening or bottom of the zipper 3 or 4 inchs off the ground will help.

As far as the bed getting wet, that was the thing I hated the worst because I hate sleeping in a wet bed and once you get it wet it stays wet. My soultion was to buy a California King WaterBed liner with rigid side walls that the bed can lay in. The mattress keeps the rigid wall about 8 inches high up the wall and if any water should make it's way in through the windows or wicks through the walls the water will just go under the liner and we will stay dry. You do have to make sure that none of your bedding touches the tenting and that baby will wick up in a heart beat.
I did have to make cuts at the corners at the foot of the bed so to make it easier to get in and out of bed as well as access to the cargo area. When breaking camp I just fold the liner's sidewalls onto the matress and fold it without taking it from under the mattress. One nice thing about this method is it helps to keep the dirt off the mattress.

We also have a nice piece of indoor / outdoor carpet we keep on the floor and so now that we have taken these steps we are much dryer and enjoy our camping more.
Again, I'm sorry Trailmasters weren't much help to you but, with a little fore though and some modifications you can still enjoy your camper (should you dicide to keep it.) Good luck and God bless you on your nest trip.

One more thing, I also did the same thing that you did when I sprayed the outside with Scotchguard. Every little bit helps.

Bryansong

#6 ·
I know it can be frustrating when you have made a big purchasing only to have trouble. Sorry for your disapointment. I too was frustrated so I set out to make it better. Afterall, it would be too big of a problem to take it back to where I bought it.

The first year my wife and I used the trailer we also got wet, everything got wet. We stayed wet for many days so I know how miserable that can be. As far as our floor goes, it did get wet also but probably not to the degree that you had. I found that if you pull the head of the bed end (from the out of the tent) while setting up that tends to lift the tenting floor a little higher to where it's water resistant bottom sits more like a bowl helping to keep the water out.

Another thing I've learned is to have a bigger tarp that goes under the floor, I think I bought an 8 x 10. I think water runoff direction should be determined while setting up the camper so I look at the grade or slope if any and try to orient the camper where I can have about a foot or so high of tarp leaning against the tire and walls of the camper before opening the tent. That way if water comes running under the trailer it will not only go under the tarp but with the tenting sandwiching the tarp to the wheel and trailer side that help shed water off to the side. Still, keeping the waterproof base of the room up (bowl) and the door opening or bottom of the zipper 3 or 4 inchs off the ground will help.

As far as the bed getting wet, that was the thing I hated the worst because I hate sleeping in a wet bed and once you get it wet it stays wet. My soultion was to buy a California King WaterBed liner with rigid side walls that the bed can lay in. The mattress keeps the rigid wall about 8 inches high up the wall and if any water should make it's way in through the windows or wicks through the walls the water will just go under the liner and we will stay dry. You do have to make sure that none of your bedding touches the tenting and that baby will wick up in a heart beat.
I did have to make cuts at the corners at the foot of the bed so to make it easier to get in and out of bed as well as access to the cargo area. When breaking camp I just fold the liner's sidewalls onto the matress and fold it without taking it from under the mattress. One nice thing about this method is it helps to keep the dirt off the mattress.

We also have a nice piece of indoor / outdoor carpet we keep on the floor and so now that we have taken these steps we are much dryer and enjoy our camping more.
Again, I'm sorry Trailmasters weren't much help to you but, with a little fore though and some modifications you can still enjoy your camper (should you dicide to keep it.) Good luck and God bless you on your nest trip.

One more thing, I also did the same thing that you did when I sprayed the outside with Scotchguard. Every little bit helps.

Bryansong

Thank you very much for the positive reply and the suggestions I will certainly try them.
Thank you again for taking time to reply
Paddy

#8 ·
Patrick -

I just read your web 'alert' at 3pm this afternoon.

Trailmaster Inc has been in the business of trying our best to keep customers happy for over 30 years and when I see a 'BUYER BEWARE comment', I take that very seriously.

You received your camper in May of 2008 and called seven months later (January 2009/middle of winter) about a 'sagging' issue?

YES, you were told that nylon/urethane-backed fabric can 'hold' water which results in 'weight' and may create a sagging effect in the tenting. But when the fabric dries out - tenting returns.

The Aspen Classic pattern/sewing/production/etc has not changed since day-one of production. Again, YES, we will do our best to answer any questions, but all we ask is that you call us direct if there are any issues - rather than putting out a website CUSTOMER ALERT (which in my opinion means product inadequacy).

(Note: you devoted considerable time in your web posting to a leaking issue but never addressed this in your call to our office?)

If there are any issues or questions that you feel we have not addressed, please call.

Gary Cooper
Trailmaster Inc
www.TrailmasterInc.com

#9 ·
Patrick -

Trailmaster Inc has been in the business of trying our best to keep customers happy for over 30 years and when I see a 'BUYER BEWARE comment', I take that very seriously.

You received your camper in May of 2008 and called seven months later (January 2009/middle of winter) about a 'sagging' issue?

YES, you were told that nylon/urethane-backed fabric can 'hold' water which results in 'weight' and may create a sagging effect in the tenting. But when the fabric dries out - tenting returns.

The Aspen Classic pattern/sewing/production/etc has not changed since day-one of production. Again, YES, we will do our best to answer any questions, but all we ask is that you call us direct if there are any issues - rather than putting out a website CUSTOMER ALERT (which in my opinion means product inadequacy).

(Note: you devoted considerable time in your web posting to a leaking issue but never addressed this in your call to our office?)

If there are any issues or questions that you feel we have not addressed, please call.

Gary Cooper
Trailmaster Inc
www.TrailmasterInc.com

Gary,

I've gotta say I bought the Ambassador In Dec. 08. And had it up in the yard for 3 weeks thru May and June to let the fabric weather. In the beginning I got a little water leaking at the seams. But everything sealed up very nicely with no more water now. My son and I camped for three weeks last summer thru July and Aug.(All same trip) In the Badlands in South Dakota we were stuck in the strongest wind I have ever seen 70+ mph, Heavy Hail and Heavy Rain. All coming at the tent section at the right hand side bed. We spent 3/4 of an hour in there jolding up the bar on the inside (and praying). We thought the Trailer was going to blow over. The wind was so bad it blew My wing over but the Ambassador survived without a scratch. I have nothing but excellent things about your product.

CTWing (Scott Warner)

#10 ·
Patrick -

Gary Cooper
Trailmaster Inc
www.TrailmasterInc.com

For those that have PM me and anyone following this thread...I have contacted Gary and he is going to get one of his people to talk to me....I will let you know what happens.

The owner of the company has since contacted me and I am very satisfied with the respect I was shown .There was miscommunication and if more my fault for not explaining myself. When I did my research on trailer I was told that this was a great company and they have proved it to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.