3,349 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
thanks for the links... watching. ;)

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'm watching and listening on CNN! Thanks Dennis. Wish I was There!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Saw something on the news last night that there was only a 30% chance of favorable weather

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Its up up and away at 8 min into the flight at 15,000 mph...4 miles a second now at main engine cut off....now tanks are away.. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
And what a waste of money the space program was I'm glad its over.

·
Banned
1,911 Posts
its clear you don't see the billions of dollars and all the new technology that came about from the existence off NASA

One of my life regrets is not seeing one of these babes when they light the fuse!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am not so sure that the "Space Program" was a total waste of money.

Because of it, we have all benefited from newer and better product materials and technologies!

Bulldog

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Not a waste at all. Just time to move on and develop the tools that can take us further and waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy faster.

prs

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
And what a waste of money the space program was I'm glad its over.
I disagree but not only for the concrete benefits and developments that have spun off from the program. There is, in my opinion, something to be said for the advancement of the boundaries of science for purely the joy of doing so. The investigation of phenomena solely for the sake of that investigation I believe is a worthwhile pursuit of mankind. Much as art, music and philosophy are viewed as useless by some, these things are inherently beneficial to the psyche of man. "Man can not live by bread alone."

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The launch was AWESOME:thumbup:

If not for the "miniaturization" needed to save weight..
we probably wouldn't be typing on these new fangled computers..
.. I'd still be using the old "Underwood"..
:)

And, speaking of "miniature"...
I used my Android phone and a new feature in "Easy Map"
to take "ePost Card" type "snapshots of exactly where I parked..
(the little "Andyroid" icon is my Lat Lon sent from the phone.)
I'll be posting more postcards now that I can...
just click, tap and send.

Here are two of the Postcard zoom levels... (there are 20)

and easy map nexrad helped me avoid most of the rain coming home..

Dennis

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Full circle for me, I saw the first one go up, and now the last one.
Same here. I was stationed on the Coast Guard Cutter STEADFAST (WMEC 623) April 1981 - first shuttle launch. We were down-range off the coast of Florida providing security duty for the solid rocket boosters until the NASA recovery ship arrived to pick them up out of the ocean.

Watching the space shuttle coming over the horizon, and hearing the sonic boom was amazing!

Now - today - this land-locked sailor watched the final shuttle launch. Again - amazing.

For those who think it wasn't worth it - you have your opinion. It's wrong, but it's still just your opinion. The things we take for granted now can be directly related to the space and shuttle programs. (Think medical advancements alone).

Just do a simple GOOGLE search to see some of the inventions based on the U.S. space program(s).

:yes1:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts