GL1800Riders Forums banner

How old were you when you bought a trike? Or triked your Wing?

• 18 - 25

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 26 - 35

• 35 - 45

• 45- 55

• 56- 60

• 60 -70

• 75 and up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 47 with health issues when I bought my trike...was wondering about other folks and if it was age, health, both or what reason...

I recently got a VTX and am happily riding two-wheels also again...love both of them!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought I'd try a trike after riding sidecars for 28 years because of a right leg amp, nothing to do with age. If I could ride a solo, I would.

·
Registered
337 Posts
A couple of leg surgeries and a shoulder replacement made my decision for me at 59. Besides, I've always thought that they (trikes) were sharp and trikesters were a cut above the norm. :D

B

·
0 Posts
62 when I triked.

A little balance trouble. A little heart trouble.

Tina won't ride 2 wheels, but she'll ride 3 and I may need a backup sometime. Of course if my heart quits completely, she'll need help loading me in the trailer. :lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm triking mine this month. :D

I'll be 62 in September, have been riding since I was 16; two up for the past 37 years...and I'm in excellent health and have no ambulatory problems.

I'm just triking it because they look cool 8) and are a blast to drive. Besides, now I can teach my 4'11" wife to drive it. :wink:

However, I WILL be getting another two wheeler. Probably a VTX 1300 if they go with EFI in '08..

Oh...How do you think that Uni-Go's gonna look behind the trike? :roll: Gonna be a real head scratcher for some folks :wink:

TRIKES RULE !!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Got mine at 50, my girlfriend loves to ride but was constantly jawing at me every time we stopped, because she was scared of falling over. (She tipped the bike over one day dismounting and that's what started the fear). We ride every weekend, weather permit, and I wanted her to be comfortable, (plus now it's nice and quiet back there). I enjoy 2 or 3 wheel riding. 3 does have it's advantages.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I triked a year ago at age 54. No reason other than I liked the looks of them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Triked at 48 mainly cause I wanted to. Still ride two wheels and alternate betwen the two Got the best of both worlds :yes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had mine triked 1 year ago next month so that my bride could chauffeur our 37 year old "special son." I still ride my VTX at 72 (almost) years young. As long as the good Lord keeps blessing me with good health I'll stay on 2 wheels. I do ride the trike occasionally.

Gil

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
My age and my health has nothing to do with my owning a trike. I have an '05 Royal Star that I ride on occasional day rides. We do extensive touring by trike and trailer.

We had been doing some extensive touring (103,500 miles in 44 months) on an '01 yellow Wing. I found myself taking curves, with the trailer in tow, a little too hot and the rear bike wheel did some exciting things. Additionally I felt as though I was watching the white lines while Dean got to enjoy the view.

We traded the '01 yellow wing (w/103,500 Miles) on an '05 Grey Wing and triked CSC. We toured the west all over again on the trike, and I found the ride to be totally different.

I could now look around in curves on mountain sides, and enjoy the ride as well as the wife did. Trike touring while towing a trailer is both dependable and predictable.

Oppss...!!!! I'm 59

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok guys - I voted for me. But I guess it won't let me cast a vote for my hubby. He's 57 and I'm younger!!!! :lol:

We're rookie trikers as of October.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wife and I are having our new 2006 Wing triked (CSC) in February. Had a bad deer/Goldwing colllision in June 2006, and the wife is afraid to get back on two wheels, but thinks a trike would be perfect. I can certainly live with being on 3 wheels as opposed to not biking at all. Besides, I think trikes are really "cool" and set us aside from the rest of the biker phase that is sweeping the country. I look forward to joining the rest of you on the road on three wheels. :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Whoops! Forgot to give you our ages. We are both 55, and in relatively good shape, except for still recovering from the June incident. Have a good one. :)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
45. First bike I ever rode. Only wish now that I had gotten into this long before I did.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bought my trike on 29 Dec 06, turned 60 on 12 Dec 06. Had to go to a trike after being overdosed on a very strong antibiotic in August. Damaged my inner ears, causing real problems with balance. Tried a voyager on my ST 1300, but was not at all comfortable with the ride. Love the motor trike. Ride every chance we get. Wife, Linda, retired on the 1st of this month, so we are chomping at the bit for spring to get here. We take short rides, 3 to 4 hours now, but are ready for some long days.

Ride to Live, Live to Ride :lol:

·
Registered
172 Posts
bought first one when i was a bout 17. there were several companies in ca. making kits in the early seventies out of V.W. s I thought they were cool. had several over the years since.I still ride a 2 wheeler. the wife likes 3 better than 2. so if that what it takes to get her out riding. so be it. as long as she goes.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
First time when I was 52, now 55 and doing it again..... :lol:

I don't think I was ready the first time around, missed the two wheels too much, plus, I didn't get the rake kit on the first one and the install wasn't up to snuff....I didn't like the first one at all.....

This time I'm ready for the trike, the wing is a heavy bike and pulling a trailer we sometime got into/onto some uneven ground and it was a little dicey, so it's time to trike or go to a lighter bike without all the goodies I've become customed to, naw I llike all the added stuff, so "trike time"....

I would like to get a "me" bike to fool around on....alaways love the Harley FXLR, had two of them and wouldn't mind another someday....light and handled great....

She's got her own trike now too, we had her Silverwing triked and she likes it real fine....has her own trailer too.....

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WOW...diverse group with a several things in common: all great people who wish we did it sooner!!! LOL! When I could no longer ride my horse I was a bit depressed...I was at a traffic light (in my cage) and a Gold Wing trike pulled up next to me...my spirits were instantly lifted and, of course, they were the nicest people!! I said, "I can do that!!" I am the happiest on my trike. It is therapy and real Life and living! Riding around, waving at the other riders, meeting wonderful people, traveling in the open...what a Life!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Age 50 - triked a Silverwing Scooter after dumping it right after I purchased it. Nice first steps before going for the "big Daddy".

The "I can do that" - and not give my husband a heart attack each time we went for a ride!

As others have said - I wish I had done so sooner.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts