GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age did it get to be so difficult to get down on the floor and back up again when "detailing" the wing including polishing the wheels? Whatever age that is I have certainnly passed it. Took a day out from riding to give the wing a good spring cleaning and detailing. Wash, wax, wheel polish, "conditioning" of all the vinyl and plastic parts, etc. Try to do this about once a year but it sure is getting to seem like more work each time I have to get down on the floor to work on the wheels and such. Oh well, at least I can still manage to get down and do it, shouldn't complain. Worth the effort though when I stand back and look at it. Now, have to take it out and ride tomorrow, get it dirty again.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I have no trouble getting to the floor. Its the getting back up part that I find difficult. That's why I take extra cigarettes, some beer and maybe a sandwich or two with me.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Time for a table lift:lol::lol:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
First it was the stool. Then it was the creeper stool. Now it is the pillow for the creeper stool. What next? The scooter creeper with the built-in medicine closet and raise-you-up-to-stand seat?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with most of you. Make it a point to take all the rags, polish, other required implements, and at least a cold drink with me before I get down on the floor. Sometimes forget something, look around and see it on the other side of the garage and have a serious pause before mustering the wherewithal to get up and get it.

Hmmm. may be time to considerder a lift pretty soon.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I'm with most of you. Make it a point to take all the rags, polish, other required implements, and at least a cold drink with me before I get down on the floor. Sometimes forget something, look around and see it on the other side of the garage and have a serious pause before mustering the wherewithal to get up and get it.
:agree:

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

That was funny and oh so true.. I will be 71 in June.. In the mornings I have to hold on to things as I try to walk to the bathroom.. Then hold on to things as I make it over to the desk when I have meds.

Step 1 .. pee
Step 2 .. Take pain pills
Step 3 .. wait until they kick in ..

Last year was not near as bad. I could wash and clean the bike. this year I can only use the wand at the car wash..

Last year I could change the oil by myself, This year I need somebody near by to help me back up off the floor.

I am putting together, a small radio tower for a antenna. I need to drill 24 holes and install bolts. So far I have averaged one bolt per day. Just hurts to bad to bend over and drill... Even have a new bit !

Getting old is NOT FOR SISSIES ! You gotta be tough to smile when every joint hurts like hell ! I smoked cigs and now paying the price with COPD... So not only is there pain, but I run out of air instantly, walk fifty feet, sit down, huff and puff !! That is MY FAULT !

Anyway .. That is the way it is over here.... As long as I can swing a leg over the Wing, Guess I will be OK... But here lately, been thinking about something smaller and easier to get on and off of..

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can appreciate what you say KA7W. I too suffer from the dread COPD as well as having survived 2 heart attacks and about 9 or so stents in the arteries (lost count somehwere about number 6). The good thing is, once I get the leg over the Wing and get it moving all I have to do is sit comfortably and enjoy the ride. May only be able to do that for another 50 years or so (I'm an optimist) so better enjoy while we can.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the perfect solutiong. My co-rider (wife) cleans the bike and i look after it mechanically. A sharing of the work makes it less onerous for both.

Try suggesting it. What can you lose if you are doing everything by yourself already.

Good luck

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

In my case, I do not have a wife to share with, No women could put up with me any more LOL

JMHO :cool:

2,732 Posts
Polecat

So Polecat, I'm curious, if you don't eat the sandwich while you are down there (see his post:lol:), do you save it for another day or eat it anyway :joke:. You crack me up!!!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the same problem plus the thought of running any more just hurts. When I cross a street on foot any more and see a big truck coming I have to weigh the hurt of running to get out of it's way or just letting it hit me. Oh yha the vision isn't as good as it once was so I don't see the truck near as soon as I use too. Getting old just plain sucks But it is still better than the alternative.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can still polish the wing but my golf game is starting to suffer. I can always find somebody (grandson) to help wash the bike, what do you do when you can only hit the ball 220 yards down the fairway?

·
Registered
129 Posts
See, now that's what kids are for. I am not afraid of losing my flexibility or agility, my fear is losing my voice. Then I can't yell "Zack, can you get me the phillips head" or "Nick, another beer please".

I have 8 more years of indentured servants before I have to start thinking of a lift. In fact, come to think of it this may be the summer the boys graduate from washing the truck to washing the bike. Hehe, I think I'm onto something here.:excited:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just lay down on a creeper, roll around doing what I gotta do. When it's time to get up. I just shift my weight toward my can. The creeper flips upwards and gives me enough momentum to bounce off the ground. :roll:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts