GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Some really good post from the pro ATGATT folks. IMMHO,I believe if any man thinks he is so skillful in his riding and dosen't think he will ever crash because their skill will always get them out of it is going to make their widow a rich woman some day after they cash in the life insurance policy.
Don't just dress for the ride, dress for the crash.
Road rash is not fun. Those that have experienced it will tell you it's one of the worse injuries there is, and it doesn't have to happen.
Purchase the best apparel that you can get. That includes helmet, jacket, pants( over pants), boots and gloves.
Believe me, you will be so very greatful after you stand up, and walk away from a crash. And so will your loved ones.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have tourmaster gear, a flex II jacket and caliber pants. balistic textile and armor will save you a$$ for sure.

On a side note , we lost a local rider this morning. He took a corner on a bridge too fast and sideswiped the concrete rail . This crushed his right leg completely from the hip down. It then yanked him off the bike to lay in the middle of the freeway while his bike rode the wall to the end of the bridge. This happened sometime before 3 am . When someone came along to find him laying in the road. When ems got there he wa responsive and trying to sit up. He coded on the way to the ER and was DOA.

Be careful out there people. It's not always someone elses fault.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
How people can have such an obsession for wearing the proper ATGATT gear and then wear a helmet with only a DOT sticker is beyond me. :(

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Another vote for Motorcyclegear.com formally NewEnough company. Good service from them.

Sizing and fitment is a tough one over the internet till you ''know'' a company brand and their process in sizing.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Gear

I very strongly belive it is impossible to do better than Motoport kevlar Mesh. Expensive and worth what you pay. What does a skin graft cost. It goes without saying a that a full face, gloves and boots are already part of the package. You never know. It is not if, it is when. Give yourself a chance, buy Motoport.

This is all you will ever need to know about high quality protective riding clothing that actually does what it advertises and does not melt into in a get off.
www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I am using Aerostich Darin jacket and pants. Love um. If I don't crash (fingers crossed) they should last many years. I tried Motoport, and could not get comfortable. Many of the hardcore LD riders use Aerostich Roadcrafter or Darin. I got mine off the auction site for a great price and I would not go back to anything else. YMMV

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I'll add another :yes1: for Olympia gear. I recommend trying Olympia clothes on at a dealer as the jacket I bought runs small. The dealer I bought from only wanted $20 or so more than internet prices which is worth it IMO.

BTW, there's as lot to be said for buying good quality, comfortable gear the first time. My favorite riding jacket is the first leather jacket I bought many years ago.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Take a gander at the Competition Accessories web page. They carry a decent amount of year end close out appearl. Some at half price or lower.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :agree:

I have been riding with the Sliders brand for over two years now. I like the mesh jacket and pants, we wear them all the time.

Have not had to tests the kevlar but the gear is well made for the price.

Jacket
http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-All-Season-2-Kevlar-Mesh-Jackets

Pants.
http://www.compacc.com/p/Sliders-Kevlar-All-Season-2-Pants

Lee

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I'm a total fan of Olympia technical riding gear. However, there are many, many choices. The internet is a great place to explore gear...Competition Accessories and many others have great online retail sites. I try to buy local whenever possible but sometimes it is hard to find a good selection. For me a ride to Chaparral Motorsports in So. California is usually the best choice...700 mile roundtrip day ride.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If you have a CycleGear store near you, you can actually try and buy. On the other hand, fit isn't as important in a jacket as it is in a helmet. I bought mine on the Internet.

I have a very comfortable Fieldsheer brand mesh jacket that was only about $125 on sale. CE certified armor in elbows, shoulders and back. Adjustment straps for waist and arms allow me to wear a t-shirt of sweater and still get a good fit. Zip in rain liner makes the mesh into a sort-of textile jacket, if you like that sort of thing when crossing Death Valley, or for making the jacket warmer in cool weather, or even for rain.

I wear mine all year. In the summer, I wear a long sleeve jersey and wet the sleeves. Good into the 90s easy. In the winter, I often add a Gerbing liner. That combo is good down into the 40s.

These are pretty typical features for the new mesh MC riding jackets.

PS
IMHO you do not necessarily need the utmost protection from abrasion as you do the armor. You can dump your bike at the gas station and bust your knee or elbow all to crap. A friend fell out of a golf cart and broke his upper arm bone in 5 places. On the other hand, if you crash at 45 versus 90, you REALLY will not slide that far. The faster you ride, the more abrasion resistance you need.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Start with Cyclegear products first to see what you like. The MC gear is reasonably priced for what you get and Cyclegear has a good warranty.

Eventually, you may want to go to better constructed gear when you figure out what you want.

Check out this link about gear & road rash. It will make you think. http://rideapart.com/2012/10/why-wearing-jeans-on-a-motorcycle-is-a-really-bad-idea/

Always dress for the crash, not the ride!

Sometimes going down is beyond your control as there are a lot of other factors out there that can cause a crash no matter how well skilled you are.

Minor injuries like serious road rash hurts more than broken bones.

On a recent group trip in February, two GWs went off the road (one Saturday & one on Sunday) totaling both MCs. Both riders were wearing full quality riding gear which saved them from serious injuries. Both were beat up but the gear saved them from immediate hospital rides, which in remote areas means helicopters and a lot of $$$ (most medical insurance either caps or doesn't pay for airlifts). So their expensive riding gear saved them a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Motoport is top of the line gear & the kevlar mesh or stretch kevlar would provide excellent protection in the event of a get off. I upgraded mine to Quad armor which is supposed to be half again as good as the regular armor. With the waterproof liner & a gerbings jacket liner I can wear mine year round unless there is snow on the road. They have you take a number of measurments & the suit is made to fit you, I was a bit hesitant doing this as I live in Michigan & they are in California but it fit great when I got it. Go to their website & read the testimonials as well as the ones on the ADV forum. Many stories of people crashing at 70+ & walking away with no road rash or broken bones. Learned a long time ago you pretty much get what you pay for in most things & Motoport isn't cheap but compared to medical bills after a long slide on asphalt will be a real bargain.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=category&layout=detail&cid=27&Itemid=15

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_redshop&view=category&layout=detail&cid=28&Itemid=15
PLUS 2 I have their Kevlar Street Jeans and Air mesh Kevlar jacket, with Gerbing heated jacket, I have ridden in 118F down to 36F .

·
Registered
848 Posts
Tourmaster! The model closest to what I have had for years is the Saber Series 4

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Let me also give you another idea. From time to time, there are some decent deals on the for sale areas of many moto forums. Get an idea of what you're looking for & put out the word.

Luck to ya on your search!
+1 on that statement alone. I myself wanted to upgrade from Olympia and Alpinestar tech touring jackets and pants. Great products. I wanted to try motoport, after sizing myself up I went online and found basically a 4 month old stretch kevlar summer jacket w pants AND later on a fall/ winter Kevlar jacket and pants, both with rain and wind liner for the price of ONE motoport jacket new. So, if you keep an open mind, you can get fantastic deals on forums. My motoports are practically brand new, so I was very happy.
See what you want and put it out there as previously stated. Now I have 2 jackets and Olympia air glide overpants for sale.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I noticing a lot of used Aerostich being bought and sold on Ebay. I have a Tourmaster Mesh, an Olympia and now a Klim. The Tourmaster was better than the reviews I read. 2 solid seasons using it and its a good jacket at a lower price. Just right for starting out or if your on a bit of a budget. Has liners and armor. The Olympia is a nice jacket but its a bit snug so I haven't been wearing it. I got it half priced and one thing I didn't know is that Olympia can run slightly small. So I'm hoping I lose some weight and fit in it someday! The Klim is awesome but it also had an awesome price meaning its pricey. So far I love it and I am hoping to get some good mileage out of it.

One thing I didn't expect is I'm finding I need 1 set of gear for summer too hot weather and another set for cold weather. There is some crossover in spring and fall where you can mix and match but for me I have to have one for each. And I still dont have pants. :surprise:

If your a patient shopper you can find some bargains when they do closeouts. Mileage will vary but you can get stuff up to 50% off at times (just got a Gerbings heated jacket liner for that). And sometimes they stuff they are discontinueing is nicer than the new stuff they are replacing it with. A few times I've gone to buy something on closeout and its already gone but the new stuff doesn't seem as good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I started riding in April 2008 I decided at the beginning to be an ATGATT rider. Past experience with other forms of insanity, notably skydiving, helped here. I bought Olympia GT Air transitions jacket and pants, and Alpinestars Ridge boots and have been very happy. It has held up for nearly 8 years and about 90,000 miles of riding. I definitely recommend trying on various suits and buying what fits from the store.

That said, I have lately been "jonesing" for a new suit and am leaning toward a two piece Aerostich Roadcrafter City. This is a lighter weight version of the Roadcrafter. I am thinking it may be a little more versatile for here in SE TX. I like the look plus the idea that is water proof without having to add liners or cover it up with a rain suit. Rain suits get brutally hot here very quickly in the summer and it seems to be "summer" nine months of the year here.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
When it gets winter-cold I wear leather. Many years ago I bought a leather jacket at a bike-night. The price was right, it fits, and it's very warm. It was a no-name jacket but it's been working well for me. I remember paying around $80 for it.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts