GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Chuck, I live a little north of you, and wore a Roadcrafter. The regular onsie. Now I'm not a onsie guy per say and given the choice, I would have had the 2 piece, but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Anyway, the Sticth was good from triple digits to about the 50's. I don't normally ride in heavy traffic, so YMMV on this. I don't have electrics so went to the Sliders after that.
I was wearing the Stich when I went down in July and although I had some crushed ribs, a broken leg, and shoulder, there were nothing but superficial scratches and the only real bruises were from the apparent high side. I was on the ground far enough to wear holes in the helmet shell, and can't say how well the suit survived because it went with the bike to the insurance impound. I survived it though.

There are lots of decent to very good products. None would have prevented my injuries any better than what I had on. I picked up the Roadcrafter in new condition (worn for a 2 day trip) for $400. Check out the sizing for them and anything you buy then get what is good.

Hope this is some help on a 3 year old thread.

Reactions: Happytrails

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I really like my First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket. Excellent venting for warmer weather, electric jacket liner fits under for cold weather and it came with a liner for not so cold days. It is also waterproof which eliminates the need for a rain top. I chose the HyViz to be seen and it really works.

Many online suppliers can get First Gear products. Most dealers will not carry as they are a little more expensive than some others.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Texrealtor, your comments help a lot. I hope your recovery is going well. I do plan to keep the insulated liners from the Olympia for use when it gets cold. Generally my lower limit on Temperature is 35.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Interesting thread revived. As most everyone says YMMV. I have tried Tourmaster products and found all to fail in some form or another fairly quickly. The price is great and I really liked some of the features, but not so much on the quality. And while the Tourmaster riding pants were advertised as being waterproof, they in fact where not. Just riding to work and get in a good down pour and they soaked through the crotch. I get to work and looked like I pee'd my pants. -- My FirstGear riding pants have never done that. Not once. -- I am currently using a pair of Tourmaster boots, and in a little over 1 year the rubber soles are separating from the boot in the heel area. Like the boots, comfortable, bla bla bla, but barely 1 year old and coming apart.

I have not tried all the brands, but for me I stick with FirstGear now days. I have had good luck with the quality and lasting for years and years. Middle of the road for price. Not the cheapest and not the most expensive either. Probably go back to Alpinestar boots. My Alpinestar's lasted for years without any problems.

And yes, Really!! Jacket, Pants, Boots, Gloves, Full Helmet. IMO just a jacket and boots is not ATGATT.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thanks Texrealtor, your comments help a lot. I hope your recovery is going well. I do plan to keep the insulated liners from the Olympia for use when it gets cold. Generally my lower limit on Temperature is 35.
Olympia is one of the better brands out. Just to get you looking, check out the Sliders brand from http://www.compacc.com/sliders .
Good stuff, but stay away from the "breathable waterproof" liner. Oh it is what they say, but it is HOT. Great winter gear, nothing much gets through. LOL

Happy Shopping

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Breathable waterproof

Olympia is one of the better brands out. Just to get you looking, check out the Sliders brand from http://www.compacc.com/sliders .
Good stuff, but stay away from the "breathable waterproof" liner. Oh it is what they say, but it is HOT. Great winter gear, nothing much gets through. LOL

Happy Shopping
The Olympia Horizon rain gear is supposed to be "breathable" too. It is so "breathable" I use the pants for winter overpants. No air gets through those pants.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Check out Revzilla.com. They have lots of products and they do offer returns.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I use Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. Good protection, plenty of vents and totally waterproof.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just received my second set of new Motoport Kevlar jacket and pants. The newer set has the quad armor. Now it will take a while to get used to the stiff feel and weight of them, but once you are riding you tend to forget about the feel. Now the amour in the pants are a bit tight but if you are plan on riding for years they just get better.

This Sat I went riding with with some HD guys and their wifes , and it seemed they just wore what was fashionable to stop and have lunch in. I have my Motoport gear and full face Arai helmet, and sit to have lunch and they pickup up my jacket and were shock at the armor and weight. I don't think one of their jackets or pants had armor, but they did have Harley signs all over them which is good as armor!! LOL So as we are riding together and some big ass bug hits my helmet as hard as a 1" rock hits me in the head and then I notice the ladies are riding high in the back and the guys are wearing Harley Bullet and bomb proof sunglasses covered with the skull topper helmets and I couldn't get over the thought of what price do you pay to be fashionable? I have been down 5 times, in fact I had a close call in a corner on that very ride and could have gone down at about 30mph, I was just nice to know that I had full gear on.

GO with soft armor not hard armor, most of the hurt comes from impacts and hard armor just transfers the force to your body. Before you buy read all the reviews at Motoport and the crash studies they have done, this will give you some info to make a good decision. Motoport is now using Poron DX foam layer on top of their Tri Armor which makes it the new Quad Armor. Look up Poron foam and you will seen what is so cool about it. Armor should absorb the force of the impact, hard armor transmits the impact to your body. I have watched 100's of videos of crash to learn what they did wrong and what they did right. I hope this helps?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I hope Helite, the air vest mfg, will make pants one day, that would inflate to protect your legs,hips. I worry about that area the most now. My upper body is well protected.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro. It is a great 3 season jacket. Those seasons being fall, winter, and spring. It is pretty warm to wear when the temps climb above 80. By next summer I will have a mesh jacket for those hot days. That said, riding without gear is IMHO foolish. I am well protected when I ride. My next purchase will be Bohn adventure pants.

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
When I went down last year, ALL of my ATGATT was destroyed, but it saved me. I ended up getting replacement helmet, Sena headset, Joe Rocket GoldWing jacket, and back protector at the Honda dealership at prices as good or better than web pricing. I had to order the Olympia pants and Tourmaster boots because they didn't carry them. All of the replacement pieces were immediately comfortable and well-fitting.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Might be a dupe ... www.bohnarmor.com

For me. ATGATT ... I was using Tourmaster Flex III jacket and pants ... but they are phasing them out.

Single solution for all four seasons. there is an outer panel on both pants and jacket that zip out to reveal mesh. Ofcourse armored.

THe bohn armor stuff .. is good because it keeps the armor in place.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I recently picked up a Pilot Elipsol Air jacket. Bought it off Amazon for $65 less than seen elsewhere. pilotmotorsport.com for a look at their products. This jacket has elbow, shoulder, and back protectors and includes a rain liner and a thermal liner. Was $195 at the time. I was close to getting an Olympia jacket as I've read many favorable comments about the products and the service/support. But, the Elipsol caught my eye and the price was really good. Bought a 2XL as I am not a small person. Fits great. After wearing the jacket a couple times, it might be a bit heavy for summer wear in the South even though it has a mesh chest and arms. I wore it the other day in 40-50 degree weather and it was comfy and I only had on a t-shirt underneath. Legs were a tad cold as I only had jeans on that time. I'm still looking for some pants and have considered REV'IT and Olympia. I have seen a few GW riders in the area wearing Klim which is also good stuff though it can be pricey. Have to also say I will eventually be buying Motoport, probably next year. If you've ever gone down in a slide (I have), you know you want outstanding abrasion protection and Motoport delivers on that. If you're a fashion hound, Motoport may not be your first choice (my opinion only). Good luck and the best advice I might offer is to not go too cheap - you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Go to the GWRRA on line store and check out the jackets they carry. I have been well pleased with the combination jacket they sell for both winter and summer and the price is reasonable. Sizing is accurate but if needed, they have a liberal return policy.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts