GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my brief visit to the Sturgis, SD area yesterday. I was having breakfast at a restaurant next to a busy intersection on the way to Devils Tower. As I watched traffic, I saw dozens of 2-up bikes go by and eventually, I realized that the most under-dressed riders of all were Gold Wing riders. In fact, shorts, t-shirt and sandals were the apparent most popular gear of the day with a lot of Wingers. :shock: Fortunately, ATGATT seems to be going over better with the HD group. :shrug:

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
I have both a trike and a airbag wing. when I am going into town on the side roads I will NOT wear my "battle" gear. one sitting at the local cafe may see me and say to himself " wow look at that guy no helmet, shorts and no boots" While I know the importance of riding gear I do not feel it necessary to get geared up for a short ride into town. IF I were at Sturgis and at my hotel I most likely would "cruise" down the main drag without ATGATT.

but that's just me

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Don't you know most accident happen on short trips close to home? I agree though... To each his own.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
We live in east-central Indiana ... we see very few helmets on any riders ... almost none on cruiser style bikes ... maybe 5% of all ... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'd say 2/3 of the bikers I see are not ATGATT and many with out helmet or any gear at all. Which makes me wonder how there are so many gear manufacturers and seems like more brands available now than ever before. Tons of helmets, gloves, jackets, pants and boots available but I see so few people wearing it. And the gear really lasts a long time, its not like the ATGATT crowd buys new stuff every year, at least mine seems to really last. So how do these mfg keep turning it out?

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
I find it humorous to read messages like this one as they remind me of the rider in Pennsylvania that recently was protesting the State's helmet law by not wearing his helmet on the protest ride. He crashed and died from head injuries. It's your noggin and your choice! Me? I wear a ff helmet all the time, even in States that require no helmet use.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
That is why I haul the bike 100 miles or so then start riding. :joke:
Well, when I first heard that most accidents happen within a mile of where you live, I moved. :p

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
On my brief visit to the Sturgis, SD area yesterday. I was having breakfast at a restaurant next to a busy intersection on the way to Devils Tower. As I watched traffic, I saw dozens of 2-up bikes go by and eventually, I realized that the most under-dressed riders of all were Gold Wing riders. In fact, shorts, t-shirt and sandals were the apparent most popular gear of the day with a lot of Wingers. :shock: Fortunately, ATGATT seems to be going over better with the HD group. :shrug:
Ummm...So what is the point.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
From what was given as fact by the NHTSB who is pushing states to enact mandatory helmet laws, according to the 2008 statistics, 42% of the deaths in 2008 (motorcycle) the rider/s did not have helmets on.

With this evidence being said, I guess that 58% of the deaths HAD helmets on. Guess I have a better chance of living by NOT wearing a helmet. At least according to the statistics.

flame suit on :)

Reactions: noviwinger

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
From what was given as fact by the NHTSB who is pushing states to enact mandatory helmet laws, according to the 2008 statistics, 42% of the deaths in 2008 (motorcycle) the rider/s did not have helmets on.

With this evidence being said, I guess that 58% of the deaths HAD helmets on. Guess I have a better chance of living by NOT wearing a helmet. At least according to the statistics.

flame suit on :)
And everyone who has drank milk has died

MILK KILLS!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I can believe all but the sandals. I have tried that only once and it does not work.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
I have heard it said that the only difference a helmet makes is whether or not it's an open or closed casket. YMMV

Reactions: redliner100

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ummm...So what is the point.
If there's a "point" it's that Wingers have always had the reputation of being some of the more safety conscious riders out there but maybe that's not the case any more. Oh sure, I saw lots of HD folks and others who weren't properly protected but the level of disdain for safe riding clothes among Wingers shocked me. This was not a hot day, it was going to be 80 degrees and mind you this was about 9:00 AM when I saw all these Wingers dressed more appropriately for the beach than a motorcycle ride.

Have you ever noticed HD's emphasis on safety? If you go into any HD store you'll not only see slinky leather vests for the girls but you'll also see rack after rack of quality protective gear that a lot of HD riders seem to have embraced.

Meanwhile, Wingers are wearing flip-flops. THAT is my point!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have both a trike and a airbag wing. when I am going into town on the side roads I will NOT wear my "battle" gear. one sitting at the local cafe may see me and say to himself " wow look at that guy no helmet, shorts and no boots" While I know the importance of riding gear I do not feel it necessary to get geared up for a short ride into town. IF I were at Sturgis and at my hotel I most likely would "cruise" down the main drag without ATGATT.

but that's just me

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:
My goodness. I have to agree with you on this one.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts