GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my last thread http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291021 I wrote about flying to Alaska because the kids had a motorcycle accident up there and a number of people asked as to how they are and what happened. So more of the story. My wifes' daughter and her husband were on their 'trip of a life time' riding their Harleys to Alaska. The step-daugther has a Harley Road Glide, which has a fixed front fairing like our Goldwings, and the son-in-law has a Harley Road King, which has the front fairing attacted to the forks. They had a great time and saw & took pictures of the many wonders of Alaska. They had 5 weeks for this trip so they were not under any pressure keep moving. They had reached Fairbanks, AL and decided to make the trip up the Dalton Hwy so they could get their pictures of them and their bikes taken in front of the ARCTIC CIRCLE sign. The Dalton Hwy is a road that takes its toll each year in damaged bikes and cars to the point that most rental places will not cover you insurance wise if you should drive the Dalton Hwy. I should mention at this time that they had left their pop-up camper back in Fairbanks. The kids made it to the Arctic Circle, got their pictures, and decided to continue north to Coldfoot, AK. The road is sometimes hard surface sometimes gravel this section was hard surface. The following is put together from fragments of what they remember but neither one of them can remember much. Beth was in front and Ron was following a short distance behind. As Beth crested a small hill she started to slow down to look at something that caught her attention. The road was narrow at this point and as Ron crested the hill and saw his wife he got on both brakes hard and tried to steer around her. The rear wheel locked up and the back end started to come around. The rear of his bike hit Beth's bike and sent her flying. This is last that they remember. From what can be reconstructed from the scene Beth hit the pavement on her right side and began to roll while Ron landed on his left shoulder. Beth's bike continued down the road far enough that when people arrived a few minutes later they figured that she was a passenger on Ron's bike because hers' was nowhere in sight they had to search and finally found it about 50 feet off the side of the road down a block or two. Ron's bike flipped a couple of times before it came to rest nearby. Both of them had on their helmets, leather jackets, Levis, leather chaps, leather boots, and gloves. Thank GOD ! Ron suffered a dislocated left shoulder and Beth had a 2" X 4" patch of road rash on the top of her right forearm because she had her jacket sleeve unzipped. They were both banged & bruised but nothing compared to what could have been. I give much credit to GOD being with them and the fact they did have all their gear on. The accident was just that 'an accident'. It could just as easily been a moose standing in the road. To me it sounds like a standard rear wheel lockup on a non ABS bike and down they went. You can bet that they have a better understanding of ATGATT and are strongly considering some form of bike to bike communications. I can not stress strong enough that I Thank God that he protected them that day !
Ken

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Glad they are recovering from what could have been far more tragic. Hopefully they'll live to ride another day and will look back on this trip with fond memories.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I'm really glad they came out OK. Best wishes for you and your family. BTW... it does not sound like they were traveling very fast... which turned out to be a good thing.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Glad to hear they are fairly ok! If it had been worse, I'm sure there would be a ton of guilt on one or the others' part to deal with for the rest of their life. Here's hoping it fades into an "adventure story" over time.

Hopefully another lesson learned is to assume that around every blind corner, over every hill, there is something to hit...maybe a fallen boulder, maybe a stalled car, or maybe a fellow motorcyclist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts