GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ouch! What a story! I've never heard of someone being blown off the back of a bike before. But it definitely gives cause for thought anytime someone is jumping on their bike in jeans and a tee shirt.

My wife and I were riding through Shasta a couple of years ago and stopped at a Black Bear Diner for lunch. Outside was a good looking custom cruiser that had quite a few scrapes on one side that looked like they were a few weeks or months old.

When we were eating inside I noticed a guy walk up to the cashier in his chaps and leather vest. His left arm was half scabs and half pink scar tissue. A couple of minutes later his girlfriend stood at his side. She was wearing jeans and a leather bikini top. She would have been mighty fine looking except she had some serious scabs and oozing wounds down the left side of her body, her shoulders, left arm, and back.

They walked outside and got on their HD after donning their half helmets. It was a warm day and she was sticking with the jeans and leather bra. He stuck with his chaps and vest. They looked like a Halloween couple dressed in "After the Accident" makeup and costumes.

You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think.

·
Registered
552 Posts
IronButt said:
If you don't know the acronym in the title, I hope you learn it before you need it.

All The Gear, All The Time
Do not under any circumstances mention wearing the proper riding gear on this board again. Do you understand me? :evil:

I think I speak for almost everybody on this board and can tell you that we have had enough of this preaching about wearing riding gear! :evil:

We like wearing our tennis shoes, sandals and shorts when we ride our gold wings and damn sure don't need anybody preaching too us about WTF we need to wear!

Do you understand me hombre? :evil:

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
We like wearing our tennis shoes, sandals and shorts when we ride our gold wings
I ride in this type of gear, have for years, but I do recommend good gear for my passengers as I dont wish to be responsible for something like this happening to them. I see young gals every day on the backs of race rockets wearing almost nothing and no hemut. I often wonder what their Dad would say if he saw them.

Do you understand me hombre?
Well do you? Amigo?

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
I guess we all accept a degree of risk if we ride. If I was that concerned with the risk, I wouldn't ride. If I had to dress like Ricky Space Ranger to ride a bike, I wouldn't ride.

I also have an expression I live by. Ride your own ride!

Maybe we should start working on a cure for STUPID first. That causes the accidents doesn't it?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bozone (n.) The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I SPY said:
Bozone (n.) The substance surrounding stupid people that stops
bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.
That made me laugh.

I personally don't mind these posts, I find them interesting. I liked Mike's story too. But I wear ATGATT so the stories don't offend me. They shouldn't really offend anyone, perhaps just encourage some thought. I often wonder if this type of post accomplishes anything, though. Perhaps it reinforces my decisions, but does it sway those that don't wear ATGATT? From the responses so far it seems not. Could make for an interesting discussion if it didn't make people so defensive.

Chris

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
azblackbird said:
IronButt said:
If you don't know the acronym in the title, I hope you learn it before you need it.

All The Gear, All The Time
Do not under any circumstances mention wearing the proper riding gear on this board again. Do you understand me? :evil:

I think I speak for almost everybody on this board and can tell you that we have had enough of this preaching about wearing riding gear! :evil:

We like wearing our tennis shoes, sandals and shorts when we ride our gold wings and damn sure don't need anybody preaching too us about WTF we need to wear!

Do you understand me hombre? :evil:
In other words, you are entitled to express your opinion as long as it agrees with mine.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
In other words, you are entitled to express your opinion as long as it agrees with mine.
I agree :) loved the lemonade and steaks. The wife and I have a friend in AL and may ride down next summer to visit. ... I would like to meet up with you guys again and share a meal and some fine conversation. I promise to agree with at least one statement you make :) long as I get my spam and velvetta....

·
Registered
871 Posts
As Red said, Life is full of choices.

I believe there is a bell curve for just about any subject; Radicals on either end and most of us in the middle. IE: Some people wear full leathers on a July afternoon in Florida, and some ride practically naked...

I have a HD riding friend who has crashed before, has pins/plates/etc and still rides in shorts, t-shirt and tennie runners. I have just about as much chance of changing his mind as I do completing YW's 1000ss... :lol: :lol:

There are people afraid to get out of bed and there are base jumpers. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

I have no problem with anyone posting anything they like. I will read it, or not. But there is a difference between bringing something to my attention and preaching to me about it.

In my opinion, Ironbutt did not reach the "Preachy" threshold. He simply presented a link...

Stay safe,

Lance

·
Registered
403 Posts
While there may be some unexplained issues with Darwinism, in this case it probably fits. I fully believe in the right of riders to choose what and how they will ride, as long as it doesn't negatively impact others. However, in applying Darwinism to this discussion, its just another example of the gene pool getting a dose of chlorine every now and then....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
markj said:
We like wearing our tennis shoes, sandals and shorts when we ride our gold wings
I ride in this type of gear, have for years, but I do recommend good gear for my passengers as I dont wish to be responsible for something like this happening to them. I see young gals every day on the backs of race rockets wearing almost nothing and no hemut. I often wonder what their Dad would say if he saw them.

[quote:2r73y8ll]Do you understand me hombre?
Well do you? Amigo?[/quote:2r73y8ll]

I'm just guessing but I think AZBlackbird was trying to be funny with sarcasm.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Found out today one of the guys at work was involved in a accident where he t-boned a blazer in the front fender and went over the hood.He was lucky with only a little asphalt rash on the back of his shoulder and a few cuts and bruises.I showed him my air mesh jacket that I wear and he seemed interested in maybe getting one of his own.I know that I feel safer wearing it and also stay cooler in the summer :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I c ertainly hope I wasn't being preachy!

I hate it when people preach at me, and I sure try not to preach at others.

But I do try to get people to think. That gal was wearing what a lot of us would consider reasonable riding gear - jeans, sweatshirt, helmet.

And look what happened to her. :(

If she'd been wearing any "real" riding gear, it would likely have been a minor accident.

I'm not scared to get out of bed in the morning. But I also don't walk in front of busses on a dark and foggy night. I used to ride in cowboy boots, jeans, t-shirt and 3/4 helmet. Then I got involved in LD competetions (lots of 24 hour IB-type events, theree IBRs, LOTS of long (1000+ mile) rides for dinner, etc - and I started wearing the gear that would protect me in case stupid (on my part, or a random cagers part) happened.

Will my gear keep me from all harm in all types of incidents? Hell no!
Does it significantly decrease the odds of me suffering massive quantities of pain? Hell yes!

Everybody gets to make their own choices. Please, just make sure it's an INFORMED choice. Think about what can happen, and how simply a lot of it can be prevented.

Roy

·
Registered
403 Posts
My final thoughts on the issue:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Iron Butt THANKS for the post! I enjoyed reading it and yes IT DOES MAKE ME THINK IN A MORE POSITIVE MANNER.

Thanks again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts