GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still moving in to my new-to-me used bike. I'm confused on this pretty darn basic thing.

There is an eye bolt down underneath where the hitch pin drops down to secure the ball mount. But there is only one of them, offset a little to the right. It doesn't look like there is a spot where there is a missing bolt.

So how are two safety chains supposed to cross and hook up on a single eye bolt? Or what else am I missing?

The bike is a 2006, I think the hitch is probably late 200X.

The pics attached are looking from the ground up at the bottom of the hitch. Front of the bike is at the bottom on both of them. First one is tire is to the bottom, and mudflap to the top just forward of the receiver part of the hitch. Second one is muflap to the bottom and inside of the fender to the top. There are no chain attachment points on the ball mount. I was looking for a spot to rig a chain necklace to attach to, or attach the safety chains to the rails, but the mudflap is in the way.
CORRECTION -- the pics flipped when posted. It looks like you may be seeing them the opposite of what I described, so front of bike to the top.

I searched Rivco's site. Didn't find much. I'll give them a call next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
Aloha Big_Bird,

On my 2013 & 2016 with Rivco hitches, I had a chain bar that mounted on the hitch receiver under the hitch ball.

It had eyes to attach the chain on each side of the ball, the whole unit was about 6 - 8 inches wide.

I ordered it from a guy that custom made them along with a ball that was longer/taller in the neck area so
the hitch wouldn't bind when leaned over too far.

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the company I purchased it from, I will continue to look for it.
Maybe other members who know will chime in.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yep, similar to mine.
I drilled holes and put in 2 eyebolts to attach my chains.
IMG_4108.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
I could be wrong (happens frequently) but the forum member who made them made a one time run and once they sold that was it.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, folks. Good info.

This seems sort of a basic thing to be improvising. Hello, Rivco.

It looks like I've got another mod to do. I think I'll go the @1potter1 route and drill my second hole. @hawnwinger, I've got an under ball plate mount for a Kury hitch rack I use a bit. Plus the chain to receiver rather than chain to ball mount is a bit more secure.
@CAWing, any idea what you had for lunch yesterday? Me neither! ;)

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Thanks, folks. Good info.

This seems sort of a basic thing to be improvising. Hello, Rivco.

It looks like I've got another mod to do. I think I'll go the @1potter1 route and drill my second hole. @hawnwinger , I've got an under ball plate mount for a Kury hitch rack I use a bit. Plus the chain to receiver rather than chain to ball mount is a bit more secure.

@CAWing , any idea what you had for lunch yesterday? Me neither! ;)
It's worse than that. I can't remember what I had for breakfast at lunchtime. :crying: Like my buddy use to tell me......It ain't he!! getting old, just darn inconvenient. :grin2:

Reactions: Big_Bird

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
On my RIVCO hitch, a friend cut out a piece of 1/8" steel measuring roughly 8"x3".

On his CNC machine, two holes were cut about 1/4" from the outside edges, where the chain hooks would be fastened.

As I provided my hitch bar, he was able to make two 90 degree bends to the outside edges, so it fit precisely over the hitch bar, with enough of the ends to allow the hooks to attach. Smoothed down the edges, several coats of a marine grade primer and flat black paint, and it looks good. I have yet to take the hitch bar off the bike, opting to just keep it attached.

Also, I got rid of that horrible excuse of a hitch ball and got a solid all steel ball. The one which came with the unit has the hitch ball screwing down onto the threaded shaft. The assembly came apart in downtown Minneapolis and I watched helplessly as the trailer rolled away from me on I-35. Luckily, the trailer drifted over to the right shoulder without causing any accident or damage.

When I can find the pic, I'll attach so you can see what I have done.

Thus far, I have trailered my Aluma MCT without any issue for about 5000 miles...and counting.

- David

·
Registered
166 Posts
Aloha Big_Bird,

On my 2013 & 2016 with Rivco hitches, I had a chain bar that mounted on the hitch receiver under the hitch ball.

It had eyes to attach the chain on each side of the ball, the whole unit was about 6 - 8 inches wide.

I ordered it from a guy that custom made them along with a ball that was longer/taller in the neck area so
the hitch wouldn't bind when leaned over too far.

I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the company I purchased it from, I will continue to look for it.
Maybe other members who know will chime in.

Zackybilly1.....Poplarville,MS

·
Registered
24 Posts
They must have changed the design. I installed a Rivco hitch on my 2012 Goldwing about five years ago and there were two holes in the rear of the hitch, under the bike where I hooked my chains.

·
Registered
515 Posts
They must have changed the design. I installed a Rivco hitch on my 2012 Goldwing about five years ago and there were two holes in the rear of the hitch, under the bike where I hooked my chains.

I think I used those holes to attach my mud flap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
My Rivco had the two holes mentioned above. The problem is they are too far forward to do any good. See my post and pics here I ended up doing something like the zackybilly spreader mentioned above.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the ideas and commentary.

I got under there and got a better look. Surprise, there is a second hole I couldn't see because some of the mud flap rubber was in the way. If I get another eye hook, I can have two eyes without drilling steel. I just need to drill through some rubber.

I'm warming to the under-ball mount idea. I've got to see what the art of the possible is for my Fri AM get-away.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used one of these. Hitchstep Drilled a hole in each side for eyebolts and then ran a chain forward to the hitch from each. Then I attach the trailer chains to the same eyebolts. If the receiver pin falls out the chain to the hitch prevents the receiver from sliding out. If the trailer becomes unhitched it falls into the "X" the chains make behind the ball.
Pretty much premade.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. Done.

I was surprised at how not available the Chain Mate (thanks, @Big_Bear) or similar things are with speedy cheap shipping or my local trailer shop. And I need to upgrade my friends to be able to roll like @david vaughn.

I got another eye hook and some nuts and washers. All good now. The chains were a hair short initially (not pictured in the chain pic) so I wound up adding another link (not pictured in the eye hook pic) and they're OK (pictured).

First tow with the new-to-me bike coming up this weekend. WV here I come. Me and Mrs. Big_Bird, her first ride in a while. With the cold mornings and some rain likely on one day, she'll need to wear her red Roadcrafter. If I can manage to not call her Mrs. Claus, I may still be happily married on Monday. I will think it. At least there will be room in the trailer for me to sleep if I say it out loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
@big_bird Looked at your picture, saw you had two chains from your trailer - which is good. Don't know about your state , in our state you are required to have two chains between trailer and towing vehicle.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well you are hooked up and able to ride "Legally". Now do the safety test. Unhook the hitch and take it off the ball. In a real case it would then drop but no sense in that for a test. Lower it down and see if it lands in the "X" of the chains. My guess is it will go straight down to the ground. Which would then result in the tongue of the trailer digging in and you and Mrs. Claus having a very bad day.

Add some sort of spreader bar attachment point at the ball.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@schlep1967, I think like that, too. I already did that. It lands in the X. And the X lands on the ground. But unless the ball goes with the ball mount on the trailer tongue, the thing that hits the ground is the dip in the draw bar below the pivot point in the suspension. Even more likely than the leading to slide not dig, avoiding a catastrophe. But not impossible.

So plan A -- don't be an idiot and be sure the hitch is closed, ball secure, etc. Plan B -- pop out, drag, but slide rather than dig and come to a hasty but not instant stop.

I think I'll add a spreader bar in the future. Chains need to be real short to prevent it hitting the ground, and need to watch they don't impede turning. Pics if you've got them, please. I saw another thread where one of the sage old dudes here (can't remember who) had tandem chains -- trailer to ball mount spreader, then ball mount spreader to frame/hitch (in case it's the ball that separates). The latter is a risk to the rider but a public service.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts