GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from the LD Riders list. Might not be a whole lot of use to us on the GL1800, as I have tried lane splitting on it, and it isn't easy... lol :lol:

Crossposted from LDRiders list:

Forwarded from the VFRNW list
On January 29, Representative Jeff Morris (biker) presented a bill that would allow lane splitting in Washington State. As soon as I find out the
Bill # and text I will post it along with Jeff's addy and urge any listers
to support it with email to legislature and send it to other lists.
It's real...and available to read...
HB 3159 Allowing motorcycles between lanes during congestion.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/wsladm/billinfo/dspBillSummary.cfm?billnumber=3159

If you live or ride though Washington state, please take the time to write
to the state legislators to ask for support for this to become law.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Mike, that sure is a can of worms being opened. I like the idea in theory, but in practicality, it's just another excuse for cagers to get pissed at bike riders some more. Those cagers can find some nasty ways of 'fixen' us!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I lived in California which is a state that allows lane spliting. I traveled to work for many years on the freeways. The traffic there is always bumper to bumper during rush hour. If traffic is moving 15 to 20 MPH you stay put but if not you split the lane. Sure, there were times when it was a little tighter than I would have liked. People there except it and I never had a problem. The CHP there use motorcycles on the freeways and we would always try to get behind one when possible. It was funny to see how, when lane splitting, the space open up WIDE when a CHP officer was spliting the lane. You just have to use common sence. For those of us out in the rural areas of the heartland this is most often not necessary. I guess you just have to live in a large metropolitan area to appreciate the ability to use lane spliting. Mike believe me I understand. I hope it works out for you. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure it p-o's the cagers... but they just don't realize how bad stop & go traffic SUCKS on a bike!! :x
Put in gear, throttle & pick feet up, feather the clutch and work the throttle until the last second, weaving the bike back & forth to get that extra couple feet in. Brake & pull in clutch, put feet down. Decide if the wait is going to be long enough to take out of gear and release clutch. Take bike out of gear and release clutch after a couple minutes. Traffic starts moving and you repeat it all again for 20'. Did that for an hour & a half one time in an accident back up in Colorado when it was 104°. Man that sucked!!!

During my 100CC my buddy (on an FJR) and I came up on some construction in one of the southern states and rode the shoulder for about 15 miles. Most cars didn't think anything about it, but some tried to pull out & cut us off. When we got to the point where we almost reached the front of the line some guy in a big rig blocked our path, we tried to go to the inside and he cut us off again. My buddy asked him on the CB why he was being such an A-hole, and he said "because it isn't fair." WAAAA, I figured out life wasn't fair in kindergarden!! Get over it!!

There were a couple of cars pulled off the shoulder, either broken down or just waiting out the line. It was a tight squeeze between some of them and the cars in the right lane. A couple of times I think I just closed my eyes and threaded the needle... lol
The wing is definitely no fun to lane split on!! :?

Just another time where common sense comes in to play. Don't abuse it and use it as an excuse to be an a$$ in traffic.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
The only thing I have against it.

It seems that in states where a cycle can lane split, the cagers also believe they can pass you. Here on I-4 one time some van with CA tags tried that and nearly took me out. Luckily the other biker I was riding with was an FHP and he quickly took care of the situation. Man I take up the whole lane now and do everything in my power to make the cagers think I'm taking both lanes!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lane Splitting

I lived in Calif. for many years and always had a motorcycle... Usually a Goldwing... I have ridden LA traffic many times and never had a problem while splitting lanes.... Just use caution ..... I have lived in Washington 12 years and although I don't get to Seattle area much ,I think its a great idea... I will E-mail My congressman and hope for the best......
Ron :p

·
Registered
605 Posts
Lane splitting as I knew it in California involved riding between two lanes of cars. For the most part you were on the white line. Although you were supposed to be in one lane or the other, nothing was ever said. I never attempted to ride in the same lane along side of another car. That would be a death wish. You never went between the cars if there was not another car in the apposite lane and your speed was never more that 10 MPH over the traffic flow. If traffic was moving reasonably well you just stayed put. My typical trip to work in a cage would average 25 MPH for 45 miles. It's like Ron said if you just use caution and are not being an ass.... all goes well.

2,732 Posts
Too bad it not common practice like Italy

Lane splitting in Italy (and Europe) is a common practice. Just follow a car's left tail light and they automatically move over to allow you to pass, even if there is oncoming traffic. We split more lanes than I could describe to you last August while in Europe and it moves motorcycle traffic along rapidly...probably one reason 20% of the traffic (more or less) is motorcyles and motorbikes in Europe. Another reason is that Europe encourages gas savings with motorbikes and provides parking for motorbikes in the center of most cities but excludes cars. It would be nice if the U.S. would figure things like this out and encourage vehicles that use less fuel and take less space instead of holding a grudge against motorcyclists because we can move faster and quicker than they can (the cars). Okay, I'm getting off of my soapbox now!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Too bad it not common practice like Italy

Canyon Dancer in Colorado said:
It would be nice if the U.S. would figure things like this out and encourage vehicles that use less fuel and take less space instead of holding a grudge against motorcyclists because we can move faster and quicker than they can (the cars). Okay, I'm getting off of my soapbox now!
AMEN! Wouldn't it be nice!!

Sounds like a great trip y'all had!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts