GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found an electrical attenuator with the correct male 2.5 mm and female 3.5 mm plugs to allow plugging an older Garmin Streetpilot III into the Goldwing. The attenuator is needed because the Garmin output is amplified to power the Garmin speaker which is built into the cigatette plug for power.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
You don't mention where you want to plug the GPS into,(AUX, Intercom, Headset Only),I am assuming the AUX input. You may want to take a look at what Kennedy offers for possible solutions...

http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

J&M http://www.jmcorp.com sells their CFRG-GL18 to interface a GPS, Radar Detector and a Cell phone into your helmet headset only. Expensive solution but works well when needing all three functions. Does not involve the AUX input or the Honda intercom at all.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Try Radio Shack or Fry's Electronice or any electronics store. Will be cheeper than online.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The older Garmin units use a 'bridge-tied load' audio amplifier that needs to be electrically isolated from any grounded audio input system to prevent ground-loop damage. Without it, all you'll hear is a hum when the unit speaks a command (at least until the amplifier gives out).

You'll need a ground loop isolator to do this correctly - the output of the GPS is a 2.5mm mono jack which will need to be fed to the isolator which will then need to be connected to one of the channels of the AUX input (unless you use a center-tapped output transformer which can provide the audio to both channels). (I blew the audio amplifier out of my SPIII while trying to do this 'cheaply' five years ago - curiously enough, Garmin doesn't warranty this type of failure. That's when I discovered the Kennedy product line.)

Of course, you realize that when connected to the AUX input, you will have no bike audio available until the GPS speaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts