GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've all seen it. Very mixed opinions on all the chat boards.

I've been asking for a V-Twin-based Tourer from Honda for years. I've owned a VTX18C, Rune, and 1800 Goldwing. All are teriffic bikes, but I want a combination of V-Twin power, Touring class, and leading edge style.

Bottom line: It isn't a 40-year old H-D, It isn't a leg room-killing flat 6 Goldwing, it isn't a $22k+ BMW, and is a forward looking styling.

If the engine size bumps up from the 1632cc; getting closer to the 1832cc GW and the 1795cc VTX, along with the already available 6-speed tranny, the roumored Linked Brakes with optional ABS, optional powered windshield, removable Tour Pack, onboard stereo & intercom, roumored NAV, satellite radio, MP3 interface HOW CAN THIS NOT BE A WINNER for people that want a V-Twin Tourer?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_P ... 1034573113

·
Registered
76 Posts
>HOW CAN THIS NOT BE A WINNER for people that want a V-Twin Tourer?

Many people, excluding myself, think this bike is just plain FUGLY. That is one way it wouldn't be a winner. Victory has been kind of pricey. Any word on what this will MSRP at? I haven't seen a firm number. However, I would hazard a guess of a loaded Tourer going for $22K~$25K.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A lot of "if's and rumors" in your post. If they would do a little upgrading to the Goldwing then what? Have to wait and see. Interesting bike though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
>but I want a combination of V-Twin power, Touring class, and leading edge style.

V-Twin power......
AFAIK, the only V-Twin that will run away from a Wing is Kaw's VN2K two-litre V-Twin.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
If I wanted a V-Twin..It would be a Harley. :D

The Polaris is UGLY :!: :!:

later..Randy

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Second the ugly, if I wanted and ugly bike I would have purchased a Rune.

If you like it go for it.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think there are lots of reasons this bike won't be a winner. Most of them have been mentioned on this board already.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I will throw in the third on ugly. I mean if that is what you want, then buy it. But please just don't park it by me.

F

·
0 Posts
I want the next Goldwing to have a transverse mounted V8. Ive always loved motorcycles with more than two sparkplugs. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't be surprised if you see a new touring rig from HD soon using the Vrod platform :wink:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Before you give up your wing, take a look at the victory service end of it. We have a victory dealer next door and 70% of the work is on victorys. Newer company, new bike, you tell me. let us know if it makes 10 hr days in 100degree heat. A v-twin is a great motor, but how many have you seen with 100k on them????

P.S. and just for the record, it looks loke someone hit it with an ugly stick a few too many times for me, but thats just me :eek:4:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Go back to 1988. Remember that ugly GL1500? They were so ugly then I bought a Kawasaki Voyager. Times change, tastes change. You think they are ugly, you won't buy one. But I am willing to bet there are a BUNCH sold, because some will think they are beautiful.

We ride Hondas. Some ride Beemers. Others, Harleys. Whose to judge?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The part you see while riding looks good:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
DavidS said:
<snip>
HOW CAN THIS NOT BE A WINNER for people that want a V-Twin Tourer?
<snip>
Sorry to disagree but I guess that being a V-twin is at the crux of my problem with this bike. I have never figured out why anyone would want a 'V-Twin" in any bike because that design will inherently shake like a paint mixer. They may put in giant counter-balancing shafts, rubber mount the engine, put in rubber vibration isolators in the controls that connect you body to the bike, or design them with dual pin crankshaft, but they still shake. Those that are designed not to shake very much, don't seem to sell very well (older Honda Shadow with dual pin crankshafts). Vibration introduces fatigue over the long haul and in my opinion, anything that increases fatigue has no place in a bike designed for touring.

Now when you mention "power" as one of the advantages of a V-twin, pardon my skeptacism, but what have you been smoking? I thought only the H-D V-Rod has more power out the door than a GL-1800? Most H-D hardly get off the showroom floor before the owner is back in there having a kit installed to pump up their miserly horsepower. They may sound mean and knarly, but they are mostly wimps in the power category. Yes, many of the V-twins may have tons of torque, but so does the GL-1800.

Unlike many of the other replies, I don't necessarily dislike the look of this bike and in some ways, I think it is refreshing to see a production bike come out that advances thinking in the design department. Each to their own so I will not bad mouth the way the bike looks. But as to it being a practical touring bike...not for me, no way, no how. It doesn't come close to a Wing in having what it takes to get me on it for a long ride.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think the Harley Ultra is a beautiful Bike. The BMW is also an attractive touring bike. The Goldwing 1800 looks like an overgrown sport bike, but it's still a good looking machine. No.............I have to agree, that VICTORY is a little :crew:

F

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure how I feel about this look yet. Kinda felt the same way about the Dodge Ram when it was restyled back in '94. The Victory has a nice looking dash, I just can't get used to the rear styling.

There's something about the highlighted leading edge of the fairing that looks like a fish jaw swallowing up the front forks and wheel...there's a round nose and headlights for eyes. Seems like there's a Saturday morning cartoon my son watches with a character who looks like the front of this bike. :?

Too futuristic to have an "old technology" air-cooled engine...

·
Registered
812 Posts
Not my cup of tea. But if you are looking for a bike that will grab everyones attention this is it!! Not unlike walking into Wal*Mart with a 2 headed dog.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts