GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about a way to add more storage to the bike without towing a trailer because I want to take the wife on a real trip and want her to be as comfortable as possible without a hotel room. I've looked at the rivco hitch racks and I think I want more storage than that for chairs and such. Seems like the rivco's are really just for small coolers.

After much searching and thinking, I think I've found the solution. I'm thinking about building a hitch rack that will hold an ATV bag. I think that will give me more storage, won't be too big that it adds too much weight, and the bags have the weather resistance that I need. It also allows me to easily remove the bag and bring it into the hotel on the occasions when we do that. It would end up being about 30" wide and about 10-12" deep and approximately the same height as well. I think that width will still allow me to lean the bike all the way without scraping(I'll have to test more to verify). I would be careful to pack it with lightweight items (sleeping pads, bags, chairs, etc) that would only add a few pounds back there and crank up the preload to help compensate. I would also build the rack to hug the back of the bike as much as possible. Seems like the net effect would be about the same as a 25# weight capacity of a rivco, other than the weight is spread wider.

I'm interested in your comments on the idea. Everything from "so and so already makes one" to "you're an idiot, you'll completely jack up the handling characteristics". Hopefully, most will say something like "great idea" or "do such and such to make it do such and such".

Lay it on me. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Bass Pro shop has the bright yellow waterproof duffel bags, 12x12x24 fits on a hitch rack pretty easily. They have lots of d rings to tie it on. About $30.

Also a 12x12x30, and a 14x14x36 in the same design

·
Registered
957 Posts
Just watch covering up tail an brake lights on backend .

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Try a Rubbermaid Action Packer,black with gray lid. Waterproof,doesn't block the lites and is light weight. I also use a alum. diamond plate tool box that I put lites on. The Packer is slightly bigger and lighter.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Potential solution

After much debating, I think I've found the solution: Cabela's Boundary Waters II Backpack. Tall enough to fit my 36" camp chair, narrow enough to fit between the rear lights, waterproof and easy to carry.
[h=1][/h]

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a Pak it Rak, it works great and it doesn't block the lights, exhaust or plate. I lay out everything were going to need for a trip, then cut it in half and double the money I think we will need. We don't need a trailer....

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Be very careful about how much weight you put on the rack and how close the bag is to the exhaust.

On a trip using a Cabella's waterproof duffel bag the ends overhung the rack and drooped down to the exhaust, which melted the bag. The bag was still waterproof, but, a pair of socks got welded to the bottom.

Once home, I discovered the arm holding the rack was slightly bent and the weld at the vertical post was breaking. The weight (40 lbs) and the bouncing on rough roads was too much for the arm holding the rack.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest issue I'm having in finding a solution is that I'm trying to bring camp chairs, tripod and other long things. My camp chair is 36". Won't fit horizontally between the lights(as I originally thought using ATV bag -Thanks Deerhunter61:thumbup:), so it has to go vertical. The bottom footprint of the Cabela's large (36") backpack is 11 x 18. If I make the rack exactly that big, the rack (and pack) fits perfectly between the lights and won't hang down at all. Also, it's easy to remove along with my (trunk) rack bag for overnights just like 07wing.

I'm pretty sure this is my solution, but additional comments are always welcome just in case.

·
Registered
863 Posts
i bought a "childs" camp chair. it's made exactly like the other $10 camp chairs i have, just small and without arms. i can sit in it fine!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts