GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 48" X 32" ATV Cargo Hauler at Harbor Freight. Anyone mounted one of these on your trike? Wondering about the payload. I am looking at a 46" X 18" box to mount on it. Carry light items such as clothing. Maybe a small cooler for drinks/snaks. Whatchayall think?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I'm not familiar with the carrier you have and you didn't say what kind of kit you have but I'll share my experiences with you in case it helps. I have used several home made racks and the problems always come down to how strong the receiver is, how strong the bar coming out of the receiver is that supports the weight, and how far it is to the weight.
My current rack is on a MT Adventure kit. MT says the receiver was designed to support 100 pounds, which I have no reason to doubt. The problem, however, is the receiver is so far back under the body that the fulcrum effect multiplies the weight by the time it gets to the receiver. Second problem was the rack was built very strong but no thought was given to its weight and it comes in at 45 pounds. In theory, I should be able to carry 55 pounds. However, it would not support that much weight safely. Receiver would twist somehow and sag. MT wasn't interested in helping, so I had a new receiver designed with more support points. Now, I feel that it will support any reasonable weight. So, based on my experience, it's not so much how much weight can you carry as how much weight will your receiver and bar support.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts