GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was washing my bike yesterday and after washing the audio just turned off by itself. After searching for about 15 mins i found that the fuse to the batteries broke and not the fuse to the audio/acc. Why is that? My 2nd question is wheather the audio dash board is 100% waterproof. Are we suppose to avoid direct water spray to the dash? Thank you

·
Vendor
22,510 Posts
The control circuit card in the radio unit is sperated from the rest of the electronics in the audio unit. The control circuit card is also protected with a rubber tray that has two water drain holes in the lowest corners of the top unit and routes the water out two dispersion gutters down away from the unit. I think you would have to work pretty hard to get water inside the audio unit.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I only use a bucket and sponge to wash my bike and haven't had any problems. I've heard that using high pressure water can cause water to get places it shouldn't.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not wanting Fred to have all the fun, I took my radio apart last night. I had a bit of dust/dirt under some of the buttons and one had gotten stuck in the pushed position, so I decided a cleaning was needed.

I was surprised at how dirty the isolation membrane and the buttons themselves had gotten.

I can see this as being a normal part of my "annual winter deep cleaning" now, but agree that it seems like it would take a lot of work to get the radio itself wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts