GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to check and see if what is happening for me is common or unusual. I have 3.6K on my bike since August and since new it has had a little quirk. I have an XM subscription and listen to that exclusively. Not always, but sometimes, after I shut the bike off, when I turn it back on the audio comes back on on FM. I have to manually change it back to XM. It's not a big deal but merely an annoyance. If it did it every time, I would think is part of the design but the fact that it's intermittent tells me that it's not. I just got the bike back from a month in the shop for a warranty replacement of the LH handlebar pod for a different issue and it was fine the first dozen or so times I started it and I was hoping that had cured my ghost but then, after a gas stop, it did it again. Is anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
336 Posts
There have been many reports of XM switching to FM or AM by itself while riding but I haven't heard about it happening at startup. Mine switches to FM occasionally.

Marc

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mine switches back to FM after turning bike off. Maybe every other week it will switch from XM to FM/AM while riding. Hopefully the January update will fix it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Happens to mine. I'll turn it off with XM still on and when I start it the next time, it will come on at one of the other sources - sometimes AM, sometimes FM, sometimes Aux. On occasion when riding the radio will switch off XM to AM though this happens less often these days. It's a minor annoyance and certainly at a level below that of the shortcomings of the current GPS (In my opinion).

·
Registered
794 Posts
I believe the reason for the switching is that, for what ever reason the receiver looses it signal for a short time & switch to where there is a signal. Mine does it when I remove my flash drive that has the music I always listen to. :serious: :surprise:

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do not have XM service on my 2018 DCT Tour, but I listen to music on my phone (Android) a lot. I have noticed that sometimes when I turn the bike on initially, the setting will change back to FM when I had it set to listen to music on my phone.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I believe the reason for the switching is that, for what ever reason the receiver looses it signal for a short time & switch to where there is a signal. Mine does it when I remove my flash drive that has the music I always listen to. :serious: :surprise:
The update seems to have cured it! Haven't had it occur since I did it. How about you guys?
Less sensitivity to low signal before changing from XM is one of the benefits listed for the Jan 2019 update.

GOLD WING NAVIGATION / SOFTWARE JANUARY 2019 UPDATE

Keeping your Gold Wing’s navigation system updated with the latest maps and directions helps you get the most out of one of your bike’s most useful features. This latest version, designed for 2018 and newer Gold Wings, offers the following improvements:

-Add up to 99 waypoints per route-

-Increased XM source hold in low-signal areas

-Improved iPhone XS, XS Max and XR compatibility

We’ll walk you through the installation, step by step. It’s easy to do, but if you run into any difficulties you can always contact your Honda dealer. Ready to get started? Let’s go.

Want to know if you already have the latest version? Just click here.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I currently have the latest version, but mine is always switching out of my USB music chip. It usually happens when crossing over a road bump. Really annoying on bumpy roads.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Mine always starts up on FM no matter where it was when I shut down.
Not mine.

I mostly listen to usb.
When bike turned back on it continues playing from the same place in the same song where it left off.

(I don't remove the usb from the bike -- and don't know if that makes a difference)
No XM on '18 Cdn bikes, and I don't listen to AM.

Android user, so no CP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not mine.

I mostly listen to usb.
When bike turned back on it continues playing from the same place in the same song where it left off.

(I don't remove the usb from the bike -- and don't know if that makes a difference)
No XM on '18 Cdn bikes, and I don't listen to AM.

Android user, so no CP.
Same with me. USB stays the same place.

Only plays song in order. If you want to switch you have to do it manually.

For the guy with the USB problem, I would say it's the connection. Need to buy a better USB.

I use to be in the memory business and allot of those USB sticks are crap.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I don't use the usb for music. Does it shuffle like an iPod/iPhone or just play the songs in order?
From a usb, they can be played in shuffle or in order, depending on your selections on the bike.

My beef / pet peeve is that 'in order' means alphabetical order, not album order.
The previous generation could play from a usb in album order (or a least in the order that the files were saved in a f folder)
Lots of users seem to prefer shuffle -- but I prefer to listen by the album -- so have one album in each folder, with the files in the same order as the album. Lots of albums are a better listened to in the intended order.

I think, that playing from an ipod it will play them in album order.(there are a couple things that it does different when playing from idevice rather than usb)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Easy fix. Create folder on USB, example 'Boston" Then put album in there.

You want multiple Albums from Boston? Then, make a folder for each Boston Album and put it in there.

Select Boston from menu and there you go.

I have a few albums set up for this.
Boston
Boston
Don't Look Back
Third Stage

Now you can select Boston and it will play all albums from start to finish
OR
You can shuffle between albums

1 - 20 of 23 Posts