GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am confused.

I have read many posts here and on other forums and have shopped everywhere that I know of and have seen many references to mic mutes, intercom noise filters, push-to-talk buttons to the point that I have no idea what I need to do . . . so

I have CB installed, will use it in conjuction with the intercom alot and want to run a Cell Phone, an MP3 player, and a sat. radio through the sound system. First, what do I need to run the extra sources through the radio system and, second, do I need to do something extra so that sound is clear without interference from intercom noise, and, third, what do I need to do so that passenger has audio control?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
There are several solutions to your problem, but before you can decide what you will need to interface everything you need to be more specific in what devices you are going to use as this will determine what you will need to bring it all together.

Information about what area your reside, (So we can tell you if there is anyone near you can go to for help). Year make and model of motorcycle are also helpful to know.

You said you will have a MP3 Player, XM radio and a cell phone. What brands and models? Maybe you want to use a GPS that has both the MP3 and XM built in as well as a bluetooth interface for you cell phone?

After you know in general what equipment you want to use I recommend contacting Jon at http://www.goldwinggadgets.com to figure out what you will need to connect everything electronically and how to mount them mechanically.

Going through the selections of interface equipment and mounts can be a little daunting for the first timer and there is no one single "Best Solution". That is where Jon comes in. Jon has a lot of experience with a lot of different configurations and can be a huge benefit for you.

Mic-Mutes will be beneficial no matter what equipment you end up with, (or none at all). They simply give you and your passenger the ability to turn your microphones off, eliminating any road noise the microphones will pick up normally as the mics are always "Hot" from the factory (and picking up noise) whenever your Intercom is turned on.

In order for your passenger to control the Mic-Mutes (and use the CB radio) you will need to add a PTT (Push To Talk) switch to the passenger area. The switch is normally used in conjunction with the CB in order for the passenger to transmit on the CB, but is also used by the passenger for Mic-Mutes to toggle the microphones on and off. (You already have a PTT switch mounted on your left handlebar from the factory for your use).

There are lots of Passenger PTT switches available, some come with a volume control for your passenger to adjust their headset volume to some degree. You will need to look at what is available and decide for yourself what works best for your passenger.

I did all my interface work myself, but only after asking lots of advice from many different folks on this and several other motorcycle forums. It really cut down on making mistakes.

This is my "cockpit":

It includes all the items you want to use plus a Radar Detector, Ham radio and a GPS with MP3/XM capabilities. I also have a separate iPod Mp3 that has more capacity than the GPS MP3 player.

If I can be any further help, I'd be glad to, but I think Jon should be your first stop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pshivers:

Thanks for the input. I'll do as you suggest. Just in case it helps anyone come up with suggestsons: Bike is a 2007 abs model. Hooking up Garmin Quest (as I have two already and don't want to switch at this point); xm myfi sat. radio, and Creative Zen mp3 player. CB is OEM.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts