GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Input welcomed... I’m looking to extend audio jack from left glove box. I’ve got an iPhone 8+ that doesn’t fit in glove box. I can plug thunder port adapter into audio jack and play music through aux source no problem. I have a X-mount mount on left reservoir. Would like to run longer audio cable to outside glove box. Looks like I can remove com cable (which I never use) and run through handle bar channel up to RAM mount. Anyone done anything similar?

I’d also consider using USB in trunk but that only seems to charge phone. Not sure how to run audio through USB in trunk. I’ve researched but can’t seem to find a clean solution.

Input welcomed.

·
IronMan
17,635 Posts
I use long cord for my phone use it with magnet to be able to grab it for pictures i have regular cord with a connector to plug in longer cord i notch the lid of cubby for power cord n acc take a nail / rod / small screw driver and heat it an melt the lip on door instead of drilling or grinding. I HAVE 2014 REG WING AND USE THE CENTER BOX TO PUT PHONE IN IR RAINING OR TOO HOT FOR PHONE ON MOUNT

·
Registered
773 Posts
So, I have also filed some notches in the lip of that side cubby so I can run cables out. It has a foam seal and has not shown any leakage.

What I did though, once I placed the Garmin on the bars, I pulled the AUX cable out of the left cubby and drilled a hole out thru the side of the fairing into the tunnel near the handlebars. The material there is light pliable plastic and I actually was able to turn a drill bit only by hand. I used a grommet around the cable and as stated ran up thru the bars to the clutch side. I also ran the Garmin power cord.

I also have one of the Hollsco unit that injects audio into the intercom system. I ran that audio plug into the left cubby. https://goldwingdocs.com/Store/Goldwing-GPS-Audio-Input.asp This along with 12v and USB power in the left cubby still gives options for other devices without disrupting the Garmin install.

Your trunk USB connection will play IPOD as well as provide power. Plug your phone into the USB jack (make sure you have a good iPhone cable). Go ahead and start the iTunes APP. Push the AUX button and if your display shows "AUX" push it again and it should show "IPOD" it should also show the little universal pitchfork USB icon. You may have to adjust the volume on your phone. Properly connected, it should display the song info and you should be able to use the channel up/down buttons to skip songs or replay a song.

The AUX button toggles between these two inputs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just saw this is the F6B board. If you have a aftermarket truck with USB in, it probably is power only. Sorry for confusing you if that's the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts