GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Gl1800 and I want to hook up the audio output from a scanner and have it override the audio from the AUX input (mp3 player) whenever there is radio traffic. I use the speakers (don't have a headset) to listen when I am riding.

What I would like to do is make the power and audio connectors pigtails in the trunk (in the cb cavity) and throw the scanner back there when I am riding. Whenever there is radio traffic, it would overlay or just cut out the audio from the MP3 player.

I have looked a little at the Kennedy stuff - but my thought was to wire the audio output from the scanner into the CB. Doesn't it override the audio? Or is my best bet to put both devices on the AUX? I was hoping to be able to turn off the scanner from the CB controls, volume, etc.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Kennedy has this:
http://www.cellset.com/auxset2.html

Many years ago I did a similar thing for my GL1000. I had a Cyclesound unit with a Radio Shack stereo tape player. The project started with a handlebar volume control. It worked using a momentary toggle switch to control a digital circuit that ramped the volume up-down / MUTE. I used preamplifed audio, brought out of the radio and then back in after the attenuator.

I later wanted to add a CB that worked just like the new GL1200 integrated sytem did. I added a Radio Shack CB and tapped into it's squelch transitor logic to control an automatic audio selector switch ahead of the attenuator that I already had for the stereo.

I also brought out the CB's RX audio and fed that to the stereo power amp (via the attenuator) making it better to hear the CB on the bike rather than relying on the CB's small internal speaker. The pre amp audio switched between CB and stereo when the CB squelch was broken. The handlebar controlled attenuator would then effect both CB and stereo audio levels.

This system worked great for many years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts