GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my wifes 2003 trike out from winter storage yesterday and she noticed a audio problem
Radio quits when clutch is let out and in gear. It works fine in neutral or clutch pulled in.
Cleaning and tightening both battery terminals.
Measured and tested both switches on the clutch.
Where do I start to search for this problem?
Appreciate all your help.

Bjorn

·
Registered
102 Posts
Only thing that quickly comes to mind is that if you have it in reverse and punch the start switch to move back it will cut off the radio. May be somethings going on with this curcuit?

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
What do you mean by the "radio quits"?

Does the whole audio unit loose power, or does the audio just mute and go quiet?

First things that come to mind for me are:

CB installed and has a PTT switch issue
G1 ground problem
Stray voltage on the mute line from the starter switch (mice chewing wires?)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Audio mutes. It very weak in the headset when the clutch is let out and in gear. It works fine in neutral or clutch pulled in.
An update. I remove the taillight relay and then it looks to be normal.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
My best guess is that you have a short somewhere in the left control switches on the left handlebar, or in the wires going up the handlebar stalk. There is a line that controls the mute function coming from the mute switch, and you may have something shorting voltage onto that line. I'd probably start by removing the cover on the bottom of the left handlebar stalk and seeing if any wires are pinched or shorted on the sharp edges of the cover plate. If that isn't it, I'd probably start digging into the left control pod and doing some troubleshooting on the wires going to the mute switch.

The tail relay feeds voltage to the turn signal controls in the left switch. Since the problem goes away when you remove the tail relay, I'd check for a short between the wires for the turn signal controls and the mute switch wires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. It was a bad ground to the led lightbar.
Can not quite understand how that could affect the sound.......

Bjorn

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Problem solved. It was a bad ground to the led lightbar.
Can not quite understand how that could affect the sound.......

Bjorn
Interesting. Where was power picked off from for the lightbar, and do the LEDs have a flashing function?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plus voltage is applied from the left taillight. No flashing function,just tail and brakelight.
Ground was connected to the trailer hitch.

Bjorn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts