GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding using a usb thumb drive the sound goes out. Sometimes it quits all at once and today all quit but the right rear speaker. The usb drive is continues playing (the time counter continues and it even moves to the next song. The only way to get sound back is to turn the bike off and back on, sound returns immediately Am I looking at an amp going bad. Also when I bought the bike AM/FM didn't work and showed nothing on the display. Any thoughts.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
While riding using a usb thumb drive the sound goes out. Sometimes it quits all at once and today all quit but the right rear speaker. The usb drive is continues playing (the time counter continues and it even moves to the next song. The only way to get sound back is to turn the bike off and back on, sound returns immediately Am I looking at an amp going bad. Also when I bought the bike AM/FM didn't work and showed nothing on the display. Any thoughts.
My first instinct would be to check the left trunk hinge harness for breaking wires.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Might also check other audio sources (FM radio, Aux input) and see if the symptoms are identical on how the sound drops out.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I would check all the connector plugs in the audio system. Sounds like something is not hooked up tight when the bike was taken apart to be worked on. Did you unhook the battery to do a reset? On my 03 I had one of them players in place of the cd player. When it would act up on hot days, the unit would not see it even if the light was on on the player. I had to unplug it and then plug it back in to get it to work. That's what makes me think something not hooked up right.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
What year bike are we talking about - 2012 and up?

EDIT: Does this bike have a CB?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year bike are we talking about - 2012 and up?

EDIT: Does this bike have a CB?
It is a 2012 with no CB. I took the seat of looking bare wire dirty connectors and found that the one to the wouldn't lock, because the rubber seal was loose. See photo. I zip tied it together we'll see if that was the problem

Attachments

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Okay, so the radio stuff - all of it - lives in the cubby in the trunk. Pull the cover off, and there's a space which is where the CB lives. Under the bracket is where the AM/FM radio lives, along with the connections that tie it to the amplifier...and to your control 'head', which lives in the left side of the shelter.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
It is a 2012 with no CB. I took the seat of looking bare wire dirty connectors and found that the one to the wouldn't lock, because the rubber seal was loose. See photo. I zip tied it together we'll see if that was the problem
That is C43 and it is the control wires from the audio switch unit to the trunk unit. A bad connection with it could kill all or part of your audio system. It doesn’t look right, does it completely connect when pushed together?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Did you try and push the gasket back in place? It looks like you may be able to do that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is C43 and it is the control wires from the audio switch unit to the trunk unit. A bad connection with it could kill all or part of your audio system. It doesn’t look right, does it completely connect when pushed together?

No it doesn't lock, so I used a zip tie to hold it together. Went on a short ride yesterday and had no problems. I will probably try to RTV the seal back in place. I'm willing to bet Honda doesn't sell it.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
No it doesn't lock, so I used a zip tie to hold it together. Went on a short ride yesterday and had no problems. I will probably try to RTV the seal back in place. I'm willing to bet Honda doesn't sell it.
No, it won’t be available without replacing the whole harness. I would not fight with the damaged gasket, I would wrap it really good with electrical tape and tuck it back into the rubber boot near it. Did all of the audio system work on your test ride? Radio too?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it won’t be available without replacing the whole harness. I would not fight with the damaged gasket, I would wrap it really good with electrical tape and tuck it back into the rubber boot near it. Did all of the audio system work on your test ride? Radio too?
If getting the seal turns into a pain that was my next thought. No the radio still doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You may be able to purchase just the connector and either swap out the seal or the entire plastic housing. Check at www.cycleterminals he generally has everything you need.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
If getting the seal turns into a pain that was my next thought. No the radio still doesn't work.
So a little clarity would be helpful right now; I see a discrepancy.

To the question by rrscott about pushing the gasket back into place, you're use of a zip tie means the gasket could still be interfering with connections of one or more pins within that connector.

Your first response...I'll infer the bike is running okay, but that the audio problem still exists.

The gasket really needs to be put back in shape - and forcing it to be connected using the zip tie is doing nothing but munging that gasket further.

You need to detach that, then inspect (use light and magnification if needed...) all of the pins/contacts on both sides of that connector for pin damage induced by that gasket being out of place.

Now, it might be able to be put back into shape using a pair of small tweezers. Since it's under the seat, that gasket is the weatherproofing for that connector. It's intended to be a tight fit against the mating connector with the gasket in the proper spot.

If you're having to try and force it together, I'm thinking you still don't have one or more pins in that connector fully in contact with the mate(s) on the other side.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So a little clarity would be helpful right now; I see a discrepancy.

To the question by rrscott about pushing the gasket back into place, you're use of a zip tie means the gasket could still be interfering with connections of one or more pins within that connector.

Your first response...I'll infer the bike is running okay, but that the audio problem still exists.

The gasket really needs to be put back in shape - and forcing it to be connected using the zip tie is doing nothing but munging that gasket further.

You need to detach that, then inspect (use light and magnification if needed...) all of the pins/contacts on both sides of that connector for pin damage induced by that gasket being out of place.

Now, it might be able to be put back into shape using a pair of small tweezers. Since it's under the seat, that gasket is the weatherproofing for that connector. It's intended to be a tight fit against the mating connector with the gasket in the proper spot.

If you're having to try and force it together, I'm thinking you still don't have one or more pins in that connector fully in contact with the mate(s) on the other side.
The audio now works as before. The seal is stretched and the tab that holds it in place is broken, so the seal falls to the bottom of the connector not allowing it to completely close. All the pins are intact and straight. The next time I have the seat off I will remove the seal and use self adhesive tape to keep out water. Also the only way to get the seal is to get the entire main wire harness.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I would not recommend RTV. Rescue Tape will seal it and the tape will volcanize together. Simply cut the tape with a razor blade to remove later.
When traveling, I always carry a small roll of Rescue Tape on the bike. That and a small tube of Goop adhesive!!!:biker:

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would not recommend RTV. Rescue Tape will seal it and the tape will volcanize together. Simply cut the tape with a razor blade to remove later.
When traveling, I always carry a small roll of Rescue Tape on the bike. That and a small tube of Goop adhesive!!!:biker:

Corventure Dave
I was going to only use RTV to reattach the original seal in the connector.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
For an excellent clear hard rubber adhesive... I use Goop adhesive. It's weatherproof and flexible, and the bond is really strong.

Corventure Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts