GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, somebody clear up some things for me... is it not possible to turn the radio system off? The dealer said to just mute it or "source" the AUX. This cant be right there has to be a way to turn the system off. I'm finding it really confusing flipping around between the NAv, radio, and my Ipod. Sometimes I would just like the NAV working.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
There is no off for this system. Have you tried muting the radio or Ipad and then switching to NAV?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mute the system how will you hear the NAV?? This new system is way over complicated, maybe I need a 12 year old to figure it out for me... The other day I was riding and went to the store, parked, shut the bike down went in and when I came back out the bike was playing music even though it was shut off? Still don't know what was up with that??

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If you mute the system how will you hear the NAV?? This new system is way over complicated, maybe I need a 12 year old to figure it out for me... The other day I was riding and went to the store, parked, shut the bike down went in and when I came back out the bike was playing music even though it was shut off? Still don't know what was up with that??
I think each system has it own volume settings. When I shut down my bike I make sure that the splash screen come on to be sure it it off. I have read where others have simply quickly flicked the knob thinking the bike was off but it was not.

·
Registered
409 Posts
The other day I was riding and went to the store, parked, shut the bike down went in and when I came back out the bike was playing music even though it was shut off? Still don't know what was up with that??

If the bike is moving/rolling even a little itty bitty bit it won't shut the electronics off. It takes some getting used to. I always check and or set brake. It's been discussed many times before.

You can't turn the radio off. Just turn the radio volume all the way down. The nav volume is separate.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I haven't tried yet but I was curious about this too. Can you press and hold the audio out button for a couple seconds and turn it off? The one that switches from speakers to headset?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I haven't tried yet but I was curious about this too. Can you press and hold the audio out button for a couple seconds and turn it off? The one that switches from speakers to headset?
I think switching to headset doesn't turn off the sound unless you don't have bluetooth turned on and then you would not be able to hear the NAV.

Reactions: Kanjo

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
bars all the way to the left and rotate the knob CCW till the yellow lock is displayed on the screen. itll also beep

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I had never noticed there was no way to turn any of the audio sound OFF for anything.... I would love to turn the NAV sound off, but all I can do is set its volume to 0 and just deal with the music drastically dropping volume for no good reason while the NAV is trying to speak. On my 2010, I would use the bike NAV just to show route distances to a state line while my Zumo is doing the real navigation. I would have its sound off, because I do not care what it is doing for turns. I cannot do that sort of thing on the 2018 because it will be annoying trying to speak when I do not want it to. Another extremely stupid item about the audio..... Everything headset or everything speakers, there is no possible way to have Nav on headset, OEM CB (if you have one) on headset, and music (of any source) on speakers. At least Harley Davidson and prior GL's knew that you may not want music in the headset but NEED the Nav in the headset to be useful.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You turned the dial to the right instead of the left! That leaves it in accessory mode! Music plays but everything else is off! :grin2:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I had never noticed there was no way to turn any of the audio sound OFF for anything.... I would love to turn the NAV sound off, but all I can do is set its volume to 0 and just deal with the music drastically dropping volume for no good reason while the NAV is trying to speak. On my 2010, I would use the bike NAV just to show route distances to a state line while my Zumo is doing the real navigation. I would have its sound off, because I do not care what it is doing for turns. I cannot do that sort of thing on the 2018 because it will be annoying trying to speak when I do not want it to. Another extremely stupid item about the audio..... Everything headset or everything speakers, there is no possible way to have Nav on headset, OEM CB (if you have one) on headset, and music (of any source) on speakers. At least Harley Davidson and prior GL's knew that you may not want music in the headset but NEED the Nav in the headset to be useful.
Wow. I was happy but I'm even happier now that I chose a 2017 instead. That's exactly how I run mine, with the CB through the headset and music through the bike speakers. I'd really hate not being able to do that.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've toyed with trying to use the radio feature on this bike ... but, typically, I don't ride listening to anything but the weird stuff rattling around in my head.
Hearing a poor quality radio speaker from a bike, or in my ear, is less than what I want when riding with all the idiots in cages zooming around me. And, I haven't figured out how to use it anyway .... ?

But, that's just me.

Altho, I like many things about this "NEW WING" ... there are many things that are less than user friendly to me about it. Such as the NAV system (which in my estimation is crap compared with cheap Garmin units), the whole electronic control module, and how the 'screen' works, I hate the fuel door opening procedure, and the stupid FOB. Plus, the TPS is overly sensitive, too. Heat control on your legs is less than ideal compared with the larger faring previous Wing ...

I do enjoy riding this bike. Just wish that after over 10 years Honda would have made it more user friendly for us older riders. But, that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree. That's fine. And, who needs a radio anyway? :)

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Wow. I was happy but I'm even happier now that I chose a 2017 instead. That's exactly how I run mine, with the CB through the headset and music through the bike speakers. I'd really hate not being able to do that.

There may be a few other reasons making a 2017 the better choice.....

Here I sit in Albuquerque instead of Grants New Mexico sort of wishing I was on this trip with my 2010 instead of my 2018 having to call it a day because of comfort issues instead of "getting late". Starting to type this.... I remembered that I started to do this very thing half way between Prescott, Arizona and Galena, Kansas; but erased it thinking too early to complain about comfort issues......

I really hope I can avoid having to change an answer on another post on one of the other boards adding a regretted bike purchase...... This bike is in no way a "Tour" bike and it may never see Alabama again as my 2010 will be used for such a trip...... 700-1000 mile days for consecutive days on the 2010 is no problem; the 2018 with two 600 miles days next to each other and I am hoping I can make it home for work on Monday having another two 600 mile days ahead of me.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts

Here I sit in Albuquerque instead of Grants New Mexico sort of wishing I was on this trip with my 2010 instead of my 2018 having to call it a day because of comfort issues instead of "getting late". Starting to type this.... I remembered that I started to do this very thing half way between Prescott, Arizona and Galena, Kansas; but erased it thinking too early to complain about comfort issues......

I really hope I can avoid having to change an answer on another post on one of the other boards adding a regretted bike purchase...... This bike is in no way a "Tour" bike and it may never see Alabama again as my 2010 will be used for such a trip...... 700-1000 mile days for consecutive days on the 2010 is no problem; the 2018 with two 600 miles days next to each other and I am hoping I can make it home for work on Monday having another two 600 mile days ahead of me.
Sorry to hear that. Well, I think most comfort issues can be rectified. But I am glad I held out - I think I made the better choice. Definitely the better choice for me. But I'll be getting a new seat and highway pegs to increase my comfort and I believe I would have had the same issues with the 2018+.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts

what comfort issues?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts