GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my phone plugged into the aux to listen to my music files and there was a low volume whine under the music.

How do I get rid of that whine?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What year is your bike?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Is this a recent occurrence? Have you used the phone for this purpose before?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Has anyone come up with a way to shield the Stereo Jack Wiring to the Radio ? If a gounded shield were present, noise from RF/Magnetic fields inside bike might be blocked. IO know it's straight wire from Honda it seems on my 04.

Too bad there is no direct connect bluetooth device we could connect at Radio AUX input at Radio connectors.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was there last time I used it 2 years ago. I only use my phone as a MP3 player on long rides out of town where there is no radio reception, like Death Valley area.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had my phone plugged into the aux to listen to my music files and there was a low volume whine under the music.

How do I get rid of that whine?
Is the phone being recharged by being plugged into a power port at the same time? Does the frequency of the whine change with engine rpm?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, I have the charging cord in as I played music. I don't think the whine changed with the throttle...
Play some music and listen to what happens when you pull the phone's charge plug out. Noise should go away.

Source of the noise is the bike's alternator, voltage regulator, and other parts of the power supply circuits, plus some noise from the ground loop created by currents in the phone's ground and the audio system's ground being at two different potentials.

To get rid of or minimize the noise you'll need a ground loop isolator and maybe even a power supply filter. Both are readily available at Sierra Electronics and other places that cater to motorcycle electrical needs. Or, don't charge the phone while you're listening to the music from it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The age of the bike makes it sound like you're starting to have problems with grounds.

There are two main grounding points on the bike. The main one is underneath the gas tank. The steel bolt is coated with an antioxidant that wears away over time. Corrosion between the steel bolt and aluminum frame impedes the ground.

There is an excellent thread (by LarryM I believe) on how to restore this ground. The results of such a simple repair are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If I don't charge the phone, it will go dead when I go on 6+ hour rides.

I'll check out the filters...Thx
I've not used my phone much for audio; been used to using the MP3 player - with partial success.

fox2kill's fault isolation mentioned in post#10 is good - one more step I'd add is - with the phone's charge plug out and the bike running - see if you detect noise (make sure it's not electrically coupling in thru the audio circuitry)

Mine is clean, though the +5V USB converter I use in the $12V cigar lighter connector in the left pocket is probably a source of noise as well.

I use my phone for tracking purposes; it has to be on the charger to keep the GPS receiver alive.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If, over time, the symptoms change in intensity or appear to be triggered by another electrical device (brake lights, turn signals, etc,) but gets progressively worse then corroding grounds would most likely be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts