GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this with their Garmin connection to their Goldwing? It is a direct link to the antenna and to your fm radio channels (Garmin audio out required). It is claimed to eliminate the need to change fm channels because of interference caused by similar frequency radio stations in the area your passing through. Cost about $30.00, a bargain if it works.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Has anyone tried this with their Garmin connection to their Goldwing?
Used other FM modulators when I used to have a GL1500. What I did not like was the fact I could not listen to music when using the GPS input.

If you have not tied up your Aux input on your GL1800, you have what you are looking for already if this is your cup of tea without spending a penny. A Kennedy AuxSet is cheaper and deals with the situation where your Auxiliary input is tied up.

My GPS has been connected in as an audio interrupt using both the Kennedy AuxSet (override music source while on Aux) and GPSset(?) (feed only available if I am using a headset) and is now on the GPS input on my GL2way (Interrupts anything, headset or no, any source). Kennedy++ as above or GL2way is somewhat more expensive options, but properly situates the GPS as an interrupting audio source. At least the GL2way deals with CB, FRS/GMRS, HamRadio and GPS all at the same time, all for cheaper than the CB, so the bonus value of the GPS input pays off.

NB: I switched to the GL2way because when my transmission was done under warrantee, the Honda Dealer severed or lost all the add-in electronics, and some of the integrated electronics of my bike to the tune of $800 in damages and delivered my bike dysfunctional requiring considerable reconstitution of the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My aux input if free, but if I connect my garmin 755t to it I only get jibberish sounds from the speakers while the garmin is speaking, can't understand it. Works fine through the garmins internal fm modulator other than the constant fm interference from radio stations. Maybe something is wrong with my garmin??

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
<throwing himself on the fire>

I do not believe that you have a problem with your Garmin, but rather a ground loop problem if you Garmin is taking power from the bike. What you may need is a 1:1 isolation transformer or other isolator device. Garbled audio confuses me, I expect noise and overarching hums for an isolator to resolve though. Another possibility is how your connected the output signal to the AUX input, it has a ground and a left and right. If the connection you are using messes up and connects left to ground, ground to right or something else similarly sinister then perhaps that is the source of the garbled audio.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
My aux input if free, but if I connect my garmin 755t to it I only get jibberish sounds from the speakers while the garmin is speaking, can't understand it. Works fine through the garmins internal fm modulator other than the constant fm interference from radio stations. Maybe something is wrong with my garmin??
Check the ground on your AUX

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking maybe it's a compatability issue between the garmin and the goldwing. Is their anyone that is actually using the wings left pocket audio in directly from their Nuvi 755 or 765 units audio out? I've tried this on both my 07 and now my 09 wing with the same results both times. I've tried using just the Nuvi's internal battery to eliminate the possibility of a ground issue, no difference. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the input.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
I think Salyzyn is correct you may need a an isolator in the circuit I get some odd stuff with my 550 and that fixed it right up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts