GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We didn't get much riding accomplished during July. The weather got kind of hot so we mostly stayed home. August may be no different, but it is starting out really nice. The next few days are forecasted to be in the 80s. Hope that holds true.

·
Registered
268 Posts
108 here in Ontario Ca today

·
Registered
531 Posts
Left Springfield Illinois Wednesday morning. Took interstate 64 from St Louis East to Huntington West Virginia. Thursday morning left Huntington took interstate 79 Northeast, like doing the Twisties at 70 miles an hour. Jumped on route 50 East beautiful winding ride. Continued North on 220 to Altoona PA. About 95 degrees each day, not too bad.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We decided to do what I call a Chicken Run today. Left the house at 6:45am and got back this evening at 7:15pm. Got in 553 miles of mostly curvy roads. Still can't believe the weather we experienced. Usually in August our temps run mid 90s and up with humidity around 50% and up. Today was a beautiful day with the highest temp we saw at 82 degrees. On top of that there was lots of cloud cover .... still can't believe we were this lucky.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
No pics... (?)

how many bikes? Sure wish it woulda been one more!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No pics... (?)

how many bikes? Sure wish it woulda been one more!
It was just me and Larry ... one more bike would always be welcome!! (y)

I realized on the way back that I had not taken a single picture. That happens some times, it was the first time in a long time where I was so engrossed in the moment that taking a picture never entered my mine. Running North with temps in the mid 60s then getting to the 70s when we stopped for lunch. I just don't have the words to describe how wonderful a day it was!!

Just looked at the weather, looks like things will be returning to normal very soon. :(

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Still can't believe it is August!!! Our first stop ... 72 degrees ...

On the way back home we made the usual stop at the Rotary Ann Overlook on highway 7, temp was 78 degrees.

After 329 miles on a nice August day it was good to get back home. Now it is time to ride the Lawnmower!!

Looks like one more day of riding for me before the heat starts returning!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yup, supposed to be down in the 60* again in the morning. Lets do another August ride while we can!!!

Today was a great ride for sure. Here we turned on hwy 16 onto new smooth asphalt. 16 is a very good ride all the way to hwy 23!!!

Wasn't much traffic in the Ozarks today, and the ones that was out was kind enough to let us around.😊

Looking forward to a ride to Push Mt tomorrow and maybe an 'ugly cake' from Heidi's 😁

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Those pics sure look more inviting than what I gotta look at all day!

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm hoping Larry got some pics, because a failed miserable. :(

But had a real nice ride 339 miles. The high points were highway 74, Push Mountain and highway 58 coming out of Melbourne. And highway 27 north to Marshall wasn't bad either.

The nice weather will be at an end before I can ride again. Hopefully, I can get my air filter changed and a new front tire before then.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Got in a little ride today myself. Sorry I have missed you guys but it's mostly been too hot for me. Went up over Mt.Magazine and Ozark intending to go on up 23 to 16 across to 21 or 7 but didn't get there. Got hungry and decided to take 215 to Oark and have a bite to eat, bad idea. They are chip sealing 215, the smooth part, not the old part. Then Oark general store was closed. Back down 103 to Clarksville to feed my face then just went back over Magazine and back home. 344 miles anyway.
Pic from on top of Mt. Magazine.
IMG_0102.JPEG

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are chip sealing 215, the smooth part, not the old part.
I'm glad we missed the chip and seal on 215. They are getting ready to do the same thing to highway 21/16 where they run together from Fallsville north. It is the section they put new pavement on last year.:(

I can't handle the heat any more either. Our next ride together may be sometime this Fall after it cools off. Looking forward to temps in the 50s and 60s again!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The temp this morning was certainly not like August!!!! This was on hwy 27 up in the morning. 😎

And speaking of chip/seal and hwy 27...this was nice smooth asphalt last we were on it..hwy 27 south of Marshal has now been coated with the tire grinding material..(n)😟

Maybe by the time cooler weather is here for good all these roads will be in good shape.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well...we are getting our August temps this week.....nothing like last week's fall like weather.😤

So while its too hot to ride now, here is a couple more pics from our ride to Heidi's last week...

Here is the Lake Norfork dam, we do not ride this way often, but I enjoyed the route on this day.

You can tell I'm getting bored...posting an old news ride report...hope this heat doesn't last long!!!!🤣😂😆

Reactions: Monk

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well Larry, what are we to do right now but watch the HOT sun rise and set. :(

I really need to schedule a trip up to Kenny to get my air filter changed and a new front tire mounted. The trip up to Northeast Arkansas will be pretty nice at sunrise, but that trip back home will probably be brutal. It doesn't seem right to be wishing for rain!!:cool:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We just had your rain. Big storm came threw temp dropped from 93 to 67. It over I hope sun don't come back out today if it does it will be really bad.
That is the kind of rain I need when I start back from my visit with Kenny!! Most of the year, I try to dodge the rain clouds, August is a good time to find one. Makes for a nice cool ride! (y) (y)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts