GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I asked about leaning with an auto tie on the rear of the Goldwing. My question (really only curiosity rather than concern) was met with assurance that it was no problem.

I know that a number of board members run auto tires on their bikes, and presumably have had no serious problems. Nonetheless, I thought I should share the warnings from an article in the January issue of WingWorld. I know that much of it is engendered by a CYA attitude as a result of our highly litigous society. Nonetheless, it seemed worth sharing, especially for those that might be following another's example without knowing all the facts.

I haven't the time, and it may not be appropriate for me, to repeat the entire article here, so I'll just note a few salient points. If you want to read the whole article, it's the editor's column in the January issue WingWorld. The main point is that the auto tires weren't built to fit motorcycles (a question mostly of the bead/rim fit), nor to withstand the heat and other stresses of leaning in turns (a questioon of materials and construction). The result is the tire can slip on the rim, flex in a manner they are not built for, etc., all resulting in possible catastrophic failure.

I did not post this to start an argument with anyone, but rather to make anyone considering the use of an auto tire aware of these serious concerns, because I had not previously seen any discussion of these concerns on this forum.

Informed comments will be interesting!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
because I had not previously seen any discussion of these concerns on this forum.
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!

You are just starting another 'the sky will fall' thread by someone with no experience. There are more than enough of those responses on the threads that already exist!

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Daver...lighten up! The guy is just posting what he read in WW. He didn't even point a finger at you.

Go play with your car tire!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have noticed that if you post on this site,,,you better have researched every post ever posted or be chastised severly if you don't know that it was discussed in a previous post.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
JMATANDEM, Thanks for the post. Any info on a safety issue is welcomed in my opinion and it does not matter how many times it has been posted. If one person is saved by reading it for the first time then wonderful. The car tire issue is a personal opinion just like ATGATT. Some do some don't, but nothing wrong with putting the information out there and letting people decide for themselves. MHO as always.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Car Tires on a Motorcycle

I personally would not at this time mount a car tire on either of my bikes (especially the FJR), but that's not saying I would rule it out.

OTOH, have there been any posts regarding failures of or crashes attributed to the use of car tires on a bike? I haven't seen any, but then, I'm an occasional visitor, so I don't see or am interested in each and every post.

Here's a bit of trivia though. Doesn't prove anything, one way or another, but way back in 1932, Robert Fulton (I think the 3rd - his Grand or Great Grand Daddy invented the steam ship and his Dad ran Mack trucks, according to his book) got out of college in England and a young lass at a dinner party asked him what his plans were. On a lark he responded that he was going to ride around the world on a motorcycle, returning to his home in the United States. Ironically, there was a fellow guest who's father owned a motorcycle factory in England and said that he would be happy to supply the motorcycle. So Robert Fulton was stuck. Being the person he was, he gamely went to the factory and picked up his brand new motorcycle that was outfitted with what? If you guessed CAR TIRES, you would be correct. Bob Fulton then went on his way to complete the trip with no tire failures. I won't give away any more of the story, except that those same tires were on the bike in the 90's when Bob Fulton restored the bike. Or so the story goes, according to him.

Does this prove anything at all. Nope, just a bit of trivia and a really good read. The book is available at Whitehorse Press and the title is "One Man Caravan". I give it 5 stars...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
daver said:
because I had not previously seen any discussion of these concerns on this forum.
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!

You are just starting another 'the sky will fall' thread by someone with no experience. There are more than enough of those responses on the threads that already exist!
The only car I know of that runs on the sidewall like a motorcycle does, was the one driven by Joey Chitwood when he would go up a ramp and get on 2 wheels. Car tires are flat on the bottom because that gives them the best contact patch since the cars don't lean over like bikes do. I hope you enjoy your Car Tire, and I hope you never have a failure with one. I just can't convience myself that saving a few bucks is worth the potenial pain and suffering later on. I wear a helmet and ride gear because I want to give myself the best chance possible, but I still want to ride. I WILL NOT be putting a car tire on my TiWing because I'm worth the extra $$ to put on a tire that was actually designed for it.

To each his own.. Although the way you reacted to his post about the article (which I read when my copy was delivered), I would have to conclude that maybe you're not so sure of your convictions regarding how safe a car tire is.

Just my 2 Cents,

Matt Caswell

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Jef,

First let me appologize for coming off so harsh, I meant my reply mainly in jest. But after seeing everyones response to my reply I realized It may have come out wrong in print.

But to all those who are jumping on me let me say this... I was reacting to the following parts of the original post:

Several weeks ago I asked about leaning with an auto tie on the rear of the Goldwing. ... I know that a number of board members run auto tires on their bikes,
Obviously Jeff has read postings on this issue...

And yet he stated....

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
IMHO $20,000.00 for the bike and 60 bucks for a car tire, hell you might as well get refried oil and some 3 dollar filters at the dollar store too. Like Daddy always said "If your gonna be dumb, ya better be tough "

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My remark about not having seen these concerns previously was accurate. Although I had read some of the previous posts, I hadn't seen the pecific issues raised in the article discussed on the forum. I didn't say they had never been discussed, I just hadn't seen them. And, as one responder above noted, it never hurts to occasionally review safety issues.

Thanks to those that came to my defense, and apologies and explanations accepted from those that may have appeared to jump on my case. I've got a reasonably thick skin. You know, what someone else thinks about you or your ideas only matters if you care! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
103 Posts
Has anyone done a study on how many people have been killed by a car tire failure vs how many killed by mc tire failure ??

I may have missed an accident or two, but I have never heard of any one getting killed from a car tire failure. But have read many reports of mc tires blowing up, delaminating, coming off the rim, etc etc, and dead folks everywhere :cry:

I just sold my wing, had 244, 000 miles on it.. Had 3 blow outs, two delamns, two front tires bubbled up, one so bad it would not turn past the fender. Had one delaminate while running triple digits with a BMW in Colorado... sure got bumpy in a hurry LOL .. Some of the mc tires only made 5000 miles and the longest was 7000 miles, Then I switched to car tire... first tire I rode 26,000 miles and changed it out even though it was still very good.. just wanted to change to a run flat.. I ran about 177,000 miles on the car tires and picked up one nail and ran to town on a RF with zero air pressure.. Had no blow out, or any problems with the car tire. Although the side would wear out first and I would buy a new tire, averaged about 25k per tire...

I could corner very very well, think it was because the flat bottomed tire would lift the rear of the bike up in the curves and allow a faster turn prior to dragging to much hard stuff.. Plus the traction seemed much much better..

Do not think the car tire changed my riding any, it only felt different for a very few miles, then it would feel funny to ride a bike with motorcycle tires all around LOL ,,,

I always felt safe and secure on the car tire.. always was on my toes when hot rodding with a MC tire..

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am glad the bead seating for the car tire isn't right for the rim.

After all, the car tire on my back motorcycle rim doesn't leak like the front motorcycle tire does losing air WHEN it is seated properly and made for that rim. The only reason I check the air in the car tire is to make it lose some so I can finally put some more back in. Not the case with the moto tire though.
I sure am glad articles in magazines give all the true perspectives of non-conforming parts used on a motorcycle.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
"new" thread from 2006!! resurrected!! I do love my car tire, though!! Reading through the posts was funny! I, for one, will never have those POS MC tires on the rear of my wing ever again!!
And I too have seen that the car tire on the back never loses pressure, but the front tire sure does.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
"new" thread from 2006!! resurrected!! I do love my car tire, though!! Reading through the posts was funny! I, for one, will never have those POS MC tires on the rear of my wing ever again!!
And I too have seen that the car tire on the back never loses pressure, but the front tire sure does.
I agree. It is also humorous how many folks think that everyone that goes to a CT does so to save $$$. I can say without a doubt my overall tire costs have doubled since starting to use a CT.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I think that MOST riders will see a cost saving when they switch to a car tire. And while the prospect of lower per tire cost was a factor in my decision, it was BY FAR the least important factor. And, depending on which tire you choose to use, you may not even see ANY savings on your tire purchases.
I don't think anyone on a goldwing rides it in an effort to save money. A decent economy car is FAR cheaper to keep on the road than these big touring bikes! (But not as much FUN!)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Several weeks ago I asked about leaning with an auto tie on the rear of the Goldwing. My question (really only curiosity rather than concern) was met with assurance that it was no problem.

I know that a number of board members run auto tires on their bikes, and presumably have had no serious problems. Nonetheless, I thought I should share the warnings from an article in the January issue of WingWorld. I know that much of it is engendered by a CYA attitude as a result of our highly litigous society. Nonetheless, it seemed worth sharing, especially for those that might be following another's example without knowing all the facts.

I haven't the time, and it may not be appropriate for me, to repeat the entire article here, so I'll just note a few salient points. If you want to read the whole article, it's the editor's column in the January issue WingWorld. The main point is that the auto tires weren't built to fit motorcycles (a question mostly of the bead/rim fit), nor to withstand the heat and other stresses of leaning in turns (a questioon of materials and construction). The result is the tire can slip on the rim, flex in a manner they are not built for, etc., all resulting in possible catastrophic failure.

I did not post this to start an argument with anyone, but rather to make anyone considering the use of an auto tire aware of these serious concerns, because I had not previously seen any discussion of these concerns on this forum.

Informed comments will be interesting!
Well lazy day, raining, holiday lot of idiots on the road, so I will explain a bit.
Having run a CT for a good seven years I can say there is misinformation on both sides of the fence. The naysayers such as the recent GWRRA articles are wrong and also some of the things the Darkside promotes is wrong. There are lemmings on both sides, those that will blindly follow.
The main thing with the Darkside Board is the attack, Lol! If you do not believe or do or accept, they will hold you down and pour it down your throat. How dare you say one word against a CT, if you do you will be burned at the stake. :lol:

Wing World , GWRRA, and others speak from no experience, and from a general hearsay and biased outlook. None of them have ever used a C.T. or they would not make such statements. Because all the statements they make are false. It is all hearsay, opinion and not a bit of truth in it.

The first thing is to separate the big touring bikes and the Valk from the rest of motorcycles. These bikes do not lean as much as sport bikes and other bikes, their factory rims fit exactly to a C.T. There are no fitment problems and no slipping on the rim and no popping off the rim and no running on the sidewalls of the tires. The rollover tread on a C.T is plenty adequate to keep good tread and traction on the road at all times. And the GL1800 is simply a unique bike, it is ideally suited for the use of a C.T. on it.

A ROF CT will hold up the bike even with holes cut into it with a two inch hole saw. It is a safe tire, and the best solution out there to touring and or riding two up. It prevents things like this. Troopers: Motorcyclist dies after tire deflates on I-77 - WIS News 10 - Columbia, South Carolina |

Heat build up on a motorcycle tire causes them to blow sometimes. Death and injury are the result. A ROF CT will never blow on a motorcycle, it runs cooler and has better traction than any other. The stiff sidewalls take the place of the round tire construction and do provide the stability to keep the tread on the road and maintain traction and stability.

Now ya always have the lemmings too. The darkside is intent on self destruction. They do not make a lot of progress because of the ole looky at me , macho man I ride faster than you , looky at me I can ride the sidewalls of my tire and wear them out in 3000 miles. I am an idiot and ride my tire at 95 mph with no hands with no air and .....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
I am not interested in safety , I am macho man, looky at me........and hey my tire would not fit so I ground off the swing arm. I mean it is a safe tire right, what would it hurt to do a little grinding.........yea they do themselves in.

Along came the money saving deal......I can buy a flimsy ole regular CT for 80 bucks and use this. Hey a ROF costs me just almost as much as a round tire, but I can use this other tire it costs much less......and there the lemmings go. They promote it, and use it and ignore the fact that in a deal like I posted on this post, instant deflation be it a round tire or a flimsy regular C.T will throw you on your head.

So there is bad information on both sides.

The bottom line is ..........

A Run On Flat Car Tire, has no issues on the Wing. It is a very, very safe tire, it has more traction than a round tire, it has superior traction in the wet, it will not blow out, and will not slip on the rim. It is the best option known for touring, two up and for safety. And that is the facts and truth as I know it.

Some of the other stuff......it is what it is. It is what people do. And the Darkside board is not about facts and truth. It is about I can ride faster than you, I can wear out my tire faster than you, and if ya do not conform to the religion, to hell with you. They do themselves in with their attitude.

As for the recent GWRRA articles.......well ya know......they talk a good game but I did notice when I as a member of that social club, I was the only one that wore full protection gear, the only one that could ride the cones and play, and their main intent was to have meetings, sell tickets, inform me that if I used Amsoil I would improve gas milage and their group rides were simply accidents waiting to happen.

So they need to clean up their house before they talk about Car Tires.

The darkside needs to promote safety, and touring and general use. The average rider is interested in safety, and A ROF tire provides that. There was a post about a bubble in the Khumo, so??? Cut the bubble out and ride it to the store for a new one, that is what can be done with that tire.
Getting past the nonsense, is quite the challenge. Too many race track riders wearing out those tires , so the promotion of safety has taken a back seat . So the naysayer now have new ammo, looks like they have used it well. :bow::bow::bow:

You just have to sort it all out. I will speak of facts and truth ,as I am for sure not a Lemming, I will not blindly follow. Now watch the attack on this one.....Ha........gonna wear my Sig today.....

Kit

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Wow Kit, a lot of generalizations. At any rate, consider this when it comes to the run-flat versus non run-flat debate.

A moto tire that has a rapid deflation is not any more stable than some (not all) of the non run-flat tires out there. So, I don't see an safety being diminished if the proper non run-flat is used. Clearly the run-flat is more stable when rapid loss of air occurs, however, the run-flats are heavy tires due to their thicker sidewalls.

As I see it some have gone the non run-flat route to get a lighter tire (less unsprung weight, 'eh?), and, if they choose the proper tire, are not any less safe than a moto tire.

To me the price of the tire don't matter so I won't even go there.

Oh, and by the way, I think you have done your share of spirited riding on both a moto tire and a CT.;)

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
Well thank goodness it's not raining here and I know like a million miles of back roads to avoid holiday drivers . This is going to get good AGAIN I tag out to go riding to look at motorcycle camper. Tata

1 - 20 of 23 Posts