GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 with the remote trunk release and I can hear it click when I press the button, but it does not pop the trunk open. What should I check to get this working? Not the end of the world of course, but nice non the less.

Thanks,

Marc
Sunny California

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Does the latch release?? Pull up on the trunk does it open??

Maybe the weather strip has lost its spring. Try spraying it with a silicone lube and you can also put some tubing in the weather gasket, that will help it too.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the manual latch works fine.
When I bought the bike back in April, the electronic release worked.
I don't hear anything when I use the manual release, meaning the sound of the insulation being pealed apart as it opens.

Sorry, re-read after sending, no the latch does not release the lid, just hear the clicking noise.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well take the back cover off, the one inside the trunk to the rear and see if one of the rods has come off. You will have to see it and watch it work to figure it out. Something has simply come undone.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would the "back cover" refer to where the nav system mounts?

I will play with it tomorrow.

Thanks for your knowledge and your time for sharing on this board.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No not that one, the one to the very rear of the trunk, like you walk up to the trunk and open it look down right against the very rear of the bike and trunk, that panel covers the latch assembly.

Could still be a bad motor, or bad wire, you could be hearing the actuator and the latch is not working, but you have to see it to know.

·
Registered
812 Posts
5 screws to remove the cover. 3 machine screws on the "center" section. 2 sheet metal (their plastic body screws, but sheet metal screw are close to the correct thread description) screws over the lights on the "ends" of the panel.

Putting it back in put the bottom in first and tip it up and closed.

Some one of the many bits in the mess of cables, arms and cams, just as Kit indicated, has likely come lose.

Be careful not to lock yourself out of the trunk as you work on this. I was relplacing a saddlebag last weekend and managed to lock myself out for a while. 0 fun telling yourself how dumb what you just did was as you try to open up the lid you just closed:) .

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just was inspecting behind the plate and do not see any kind of movement when I press the button. I hear the actuator probably, from up under the seat. What is my next diagnostic step oh gurus of the beast?

M

·
0 Posts
Do you have a trunk rack? The weight of the rack might be too heavy for the trunk to actually open.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well I am not there so I am just guessing.

The way I understand it the trunk locks and unlock fine with the key?? But will not unlock with the hand held transmitter.

The lock control unit is under the top inner trunk cover lid. Nothing is under the seat. It is up in the top of the trunk.

There is a 18 pin or so connector that plugs into it and I think.......depends on year of bike....the black wire sends the signal to the actual trunk lock unit to unlock. You have to check that wire for continuity. One meter lead on the pin of the correct wire(whichever one it is for year of bike) to ground. See if it is broken at the hinge area or something. Not uncommon for a wire to break where that engineering marvel of wiring is in the trunk corners.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Is it still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not the lock/ unlock function that is not working.
It is the remote opener that does not work.
Unfortunately I am the second owner and original owner did not
Get the extended warranty. There is no rack on the trunk so it is not a weight issue.
I do appreciate all the helpful tips I glean from this forum.
Thanks to all how continue to share their knowledge
Marc

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still looking for some guidance on the remote trunk release. I hear a click from under the seat, but the trunk does not release. All manual controls work fine. Electric lock/unlock work fine too.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have an '06 bought new. Remote stopped opening the trunk but still flashed the lights when pressed to open. Post on this site said it could be broken wires on right side of trunk by hinge. I cut the shield on the wiring by the right hinge. Sure enough, 2 broken wires. Soldered back together and all started to work. No problems since then about 3 months ago.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Fuel for thought!!

I was installing a back-off modulator for a friend for his rear wing light of his trike and I found the control box for the trunk release was unplugged. It had been that way for years, since he had the rear wing installed. He said he never used that function so he never saw it as a problem. Anyway, I plugged it back in and it all started working right-away! (That's the box above the trunk inside liner).

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,478 Posts
If you are not hearing anything from the latching assembly under that rear panel, you probably have a broken blue wire in the right trunk hinge area. This is a common issue with all years of the 1800... broken wires in that harness. Here's the schematic for reference.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
jerrieric Thanks, I will check that area out tonight.
One more thought, when I exposed the wires in the harness they were broken including insulation which was great. But someone asked if the insulation was also broken which sparked a thought, if the wires are not physicallty broken to the eye be sure to check them somehow to ensure the insulation is not in tact but the wires are broken. I am looking for my post that says which color wires they are. Get back to you. Hope that is the fix. I sure did not want to spend $$$ and time taking it to a dealer.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Found it "Same here, 2 broken wires. Needed to unwrap to check and found a broken red and green with black stripe." All is working after I soldered them back together" let us know how you make out. This is why I line this board if you can get by all the egoes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts