GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me about 6 hours to install my Autocom Pro-7 in the GL over the weekend. About 4 hours of that was getting up enough intestinal fortitude to follow Fred's suggestion and install it in the lower well of the trunk. The fortitude was required to drill a 1" hole in the trunk of my brand new bike to pass the hard wired headset disconnects through to the underseat area. Anyway, I did it and it looks great and works just as well as it did on the Beemer.
Thanks Fred!!!
DanP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An Autocom is a communications system that supports rider/passenger intercom, hands free cell phone operations, has inputs for voice commands from GPS, has stereo radio, MP3 or Ipod inputs, and has the ability to handle FRS radio operations for bike-to-bike communications. Its versatility is impressive, and it's audio clarity and unmatched noise cancelling technology make it the ideal choice for motorcycle communications. NOT CHEAP, but as in anything else, you get what you pay for.

Dan

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just took my Autocom off a Concours and put it one my wing, these things just plain work. 80, 90 mph and the intercom is as good as driving around town.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I put my Autocom unit under the seat as once it's set up for vox and volume you can forget it. I also have bike to bike by way of Kenwood walkie talkie fed through the Autocom and what a chore it was to feed the leads from under the seat up to the handlebar area with the Autocom moulded plugs on one end and a press to talk control switch on the other. :roll: I'm very pleased with the final install though, just wish I could post a pic.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Does the Autocom interface with the wings system or is it stand alone? How does it compare to the DualAuxSet (not sure if this is the exact spelling) that Kennedy or EC sells? Anyone have experience with both?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Autocom can easily interface with the Wing's system. There is an adaptor from Autocom that replaces the Wing's rear headset pigtail and routes all of the Wing's audio output functions that would normally come through that onboard headset to the Autocom's music input. No wires are cut or spliced as the adaptor's harness plug is identical to the normal pigtail plug. I can't answer the other questions since my experience has only been with Autocom. There is another system called Starcom (like Autocom, it is a UK product) that rivals Autocom's versatility, but their noise cancelling properties is not as good as Autocom's. In addition, the Autocom's cabling and disconnects are much more robust to take repeaded connect/disconnect cycling without causing any issues.
Dan

·
Vendor
22,239 Posts
Glad it worked out. Don't worry too much about the hole, you can easily plug it if you ever want to remove it.

But you may need to gather your strength up, cause you probably need to drill another hole. The bottom of the CD changer cavity has no drain in it, and if you ever spill anything in the trunk (like a leaky water bottle etc) all the fluid will collect in that cavity and form a swimming pool, and it could ruin your expensive Autocom. I solved the problem by drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the cavity and adding a drain hose so the water wouldn't drain onto the top of my ABS brain box. You can see the photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/autocomproavi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts