GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. After today's ride I've finally decided I AM going to move to the Autocom Super Pro AVI.

My problem is: The Autocom site no longer has its "configurator" set up, their site is slow and their information really isn't great.

According to the UK site the kit comes with :

1006 1) Base
1155 2) 2 Headsets
1149 3)1 background noise sensor
1179 4)2 Rider/passenger extension sensors
1238 5) Standard phone lead
1307 6) Standard music lead
1528 7) Bike fitting kit

What else do I need for the GL1800?

1) SML-GW18 - lead connecting the gl1800 stereo to the autocom??

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You are going to like the Autocom. I have the Active Plus on our bikes and I am very pleased with them. There intercom is superior in that it is Vox and always on so you don't hear any wind noise when you are not receiving voice and there is zero clipping. The headset quality is extremely good but the install is different than what you are used to, if you use a full face helmet (or just want to see an install) check out detailed photos here: http://goldwingusa.com/autocom

You will also have the option of connecting your cell phone and GMRS radios (which are way better than CB radio). I hope you enjoy it.

Bob

·
Registered
598 Posts
I would suggest a call to Autocom America at 1-800-851-4327, great people to deal with. There is a sale on right now according to an ad on the back cover of the January issue of Rider magazine. Mention Promo Code AC0024 and get special pricing.

You will want to purchase the last cable you mentioned to connect to the GL1800 audio system.

I have the Super Pro AVi and really like it.

Wayne

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all - I know what to get now.

I'm also getting the earphone connector for mine. My wife likes speakers and has a 3/4 helmet. I prefer half-helmets and earphones so I usually have to do some surgery to get headsets to work.

I saw they are having a sale. So it looks like a Christmas present is in the works.

Cheers.

G

·
Autocom

Assuming you are not using the CB.

Also assuming you do not want to buy the very expensive GL interface adaptor.

Another configuration you may want to consider is to pump the GL radio etc into the autocom by getting hold of the audio out adaptor that converts the stock front 5 pin headset lead to left and right audio mini female jack. By useing a male to male stereo patch cable (6" from Rat shack) connect from the audio adaptor to one of the audio in's on the autocom. That way you can keep the radio/aux/weather channel if needed.

I have used Autocom for 10 years, moving it from a Interstate to a ST1100 to an 02 Wing, then upgraded to the newest model for the 06 navi model.

The only noise I have yet to completely filter out is some noise caused by the HID ballast. The HID is only used in the canyons at night of course and listining to tunes at that time is not high priority.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Fred H. said:
The only thing you need is the interface that connects the passenger headset harness to the Autocom. It is the last item you listed (SML-GW-1800)

That is what I bought. What I discovered is you have to be a bit careful about routing the wiring to avoid alternator whine pickup. Oh, and follow Fred's installation tips on his web site!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chiefxs said:
Ok. After today's ride I've finally decided I AM going to move to the Autocom Super Pro AVI.
I did buy the Autocom unit and have two rides worth of testing. To be honest, I thought you guys were pulling a fast one on me. Even with the VOX set to the highest level the passenger mic was continuously cutting in. She has a full face/flip and a 3/4 with a shield. Both behaved the same.

Today while on the road, I created a wind sock for the mic out of a thin foam can cozy. That did the trick.

The kit doesn't come with windsocks, but I did recognize I might need them and ordered some a couple of days after I ordered the unit. They haven't arrived yet. Apparently, these are necessary even for full face rigs.

Basically, all I did was install the unit in the LH passenger pocket, connect the power to the EC ground block and power block I have, and plugged in the GL1800 adapter. I had XM and Lowrance hooked up previously so now everything goes through the music connector on the Autocom.

It works just like it did previously but now there is no alternator whine, no noise and with the wind sock, very little wind noise. Some cross winds set of the unit, but they have to be just the right position and speed to be a problem.

So, my suggestion is to buy the GL1800 stereo adapter and the wind socks when you buy this unit. This will give you the basic setup. If you mount the unit ANYWHERE behind the centerline of the bike, get the extensions you will need. I can't see how anyone mounts this under the seat of the GW and manages to get it set right.

Cheers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts