GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd love to find a way to thumb control, or finger control the shifting of the GL1800.

As much as the my trike is easy to ride, it would be great to be able to have full leg extension as I ride and forward controls. I've never seen that on a wing so my next thought would be the ability to ship up and down through the gears without having to move my foot back to shift.

Has anyone come across anything like this in your travels?

·
Registered
871 Posts
automating shifting

I'd love to find a way to thumb control, or finger control the shifting of the GL1800.

As much as the my trike is easy to ride, it would be great to be able to have full leg extension as I ride and forward controls. I've never seen that on a wing so my next thought would be the ability to ship up and down through the gears without having to move my foot back to shift.

Try to PM Wheels he must know about some device for that

·
Registered
111 Posts

Check out the Pingle system: http://www.pingelonline.com/eshifter_goldwing.htm

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Mike there are a couple of shifters out there that work good but the Pingle is the best. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
In the video he's not using the clutch, that looks awful hard on the tranny.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most of these shifters will cut the motor long enough to make the shift. Takes the pressure off the gears for that instant.

If you notice in the video, he never moves the throttle except when doing the down shifts.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
In the video he's not using the clutch, that looks awful hard on the tranny.
Any motorcycle, or standard shift auto can be shifted WITHOUT the use of the clutch with NO damage to anything as long as you know how, I rarely use mine on the hwy at all.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Don't forget to add an alarm clock so the bike can wake you up when you reach your destination.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow... now all you need is an automatic clutch and you have a full auto transmission!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Wow... now all you need is an automatic clutch and you have a full auto transmission!
They already make one of those... it's called a Civic....

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Any motorcycle, or standard shift auto can be shifted WITHOUT the use of the clutch with NO damage to anything as long as you know how, I rarely use mine on the hwy at all.
With all the problems Honda has with the poorly hardened shifter forks this is not a good habit to get into. I use to shift smaller bikes this way years ago, but the Gold Wing has too much power and too much weight to do this with out eventually damaging the tranny.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
With all the problems Honda has with the poorly hardened shifter forks this is not a good habit to get into. I use to shift smaller bikes this way years ago, but the Gold Wing has too much power and too much weight to do this with out eventually damaging the tranny.
I agree

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,206 Posts
I agree, shifting the 1800 without using the clutch is like going to the zoo and poking the gorilla with a stick, sooner or later he is gonna' tear your arm off and beat you with it. I know it can be done, the question is why would you push your luck with a tranny that barely tolerates shifting with the clutch disengaged. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I've looked around my house and don't seem to have an extra $3500 laying around for a tranny rebuild.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts