GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever converted a gl1800 to a trike using the rear end / differential of a car ? If so I would like your input on what you used & how it worked out Thank you. Larry Koenig of Las Vegas, Nv.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I could be wrong (happens frequently) but I believe that the Ford Mustang rear end has been used quite a bit but I'm sure others that are more knowledgeable in your question will chime in.

·
Vendor
16,070 Posts
Most GL1800 trike kits use a car differential. Many are altered. For example, on solid axel trikes, some kit manufactures will separate the axle tubes from the pumpkin, shorten the tubs, and reassemble them. The shafts then need altered too, but for that use google (custom axle shafts). There are many rumors about which kits come with which axle assemblies. The brands I've heard used are Mitsubishi, Toyota, Ford, and VW. Hopefully that info helps.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I believe my trike kit is from a Volkswagen shaft and brakes....

·
Registered
31 Posts
The GL1500 (Motor Trike, Solid Axle) Trike that I had a few years ago, used the mid 80's Ford Mustang 7.5" Differential.
Motor Trike confirmed my initial suspicions when I asked them which brake shoes I needed as replacements.
Yes, as was stated, it had been shortened, but the center and both ends were Ford parts.

Allan

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
they also off-set them to the right to line up with the output shaft. My brothers is an independent rear suspension using inner and outer c/v joints and sway bars for a smooth ride and handling over road irregularities. I couldn’t imagine saving any money or time reinventing the trike rear axle being sold by the trike companies. I would be picking one from them.

·
Registered
840 Posts
When I picked my RS trike up at dealer I was told that for parts, rotors, brake pads etc, to get VW parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts