GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 GL1800 Non Abs and I just purchased a volt meter that is a plug-n-play. It replaces the right shelter panel that you put the key in to open the right pocket. I was reading the instructions and it says to connect it to the nearest unused 12 volt connector. Can someone tell me where that might be??? It there one behind that panel ??? Thanks for any and all help....Larry

·
Registered
250 Posts
From your description, it sounds like you have the meter made by "AirRider", aka Ooltewah Manufacturing, tel # 800-251-6040, website address www.airider.com

AirRider makes 2 models: Voltmeter plus transmission Gear Indicator, or Voltmeter alone. These models filled the entire rectangular area in the right side trim panel that was designed to hold the heated grip controls on older model Wings if so equipped. The meter's lens cover was almost opaque-black-looking until powered on with the digital readout appearing in red numerals. The lens cover also bore the name "AirRider" on it in cursive script lettering. (Sorry I don't have a pic available).

I had the VOLTMETER ONLY model which I installed on my former '03 GL1800. With the right side upper fairing pocket removed, you should see a bundle of wires with connector plugs. The AirRider VOLTMETER connection plug plugs into the matching green 3-prong OEM connection plug underneath the right pockey area. You may have to look around real close for that 3-prong plug. Can't recall in detail but the green plug may be hiding inside one of those flexible rubber protective open-ended cover "boots". On my bike that green factory harness plug was situated slightly forward of the midpoint of the pocket opening, slightly towards the front of the bike.

If you have the VOLTMETER PLUS GEAR INDICATOR MODEL, there will be an an ADDITIONAL plug on the meter which is a SIX-PIN CONNECTOR PLUG with ONLY 5 WIRES attached to it.

That 6-pin, five-wire plug gets plugged into a factory harness plug located on the left (clutch) side of the bike, which you have to access from in front of the bike reaching up to the region of the front fork triple-tree, from underneath the center opening of the front of the main fairing. Full info beyond the scope of this medium.

I still have the 4-page manufacturer's installation instruction pamphlet that came with the meter used on my old '03 GW. If all else fails, and this info and / or the manufacturer can't give you info you need, I could scan the 4-page pamplet and email it to you in a PDF file format.

That would take a little bit o' time and I'm very busy, so please save this option for "last resort" only.

If it ends up that you do need the pamphlet itself, send me a pvt message so advising me, along with your regular non-forum email address.

Since your post is about a week old, I'll I'll be pasting / copying this reply into a pvt message to you, if your forum settings are enabled to receive PMs.

Hope this info helps !

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Lewis at EC has a nice connector thats plug and play if ya want a lot on right side also maybe get the fused splitter here is EC link, also the connector on Right side was eliminated by Honda
http://www.electricalconnection.com/

splitter to go over to right side from left side
http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl18_06_accy.htm

splitter-fused
http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-gl18_y.htm

most wiring stuff Lewis is great, also has connectors to make all your own wiring using Hitachi connector's which is what the wing has

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The connector that you are looking for is up under the pocket, and more than likely just off to the inside a little. You will have to take the pocket out to get to it easily, or as easily as one can. This connector can be a little elusive.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
On the '03-'05 models, the heated grip power connector is located in the rubber boot right behind the key access panel that you'll be removing to install your meter.

Dig inside this boot and you should find this three-conductor plug with wires feeding the two outer positions.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Sorry I was wrong yes it was eliminated starting in 06, on the right side anyhow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Volt Meter

:bow:Thanks for all the great info. I guess I should have said what meter I have. It is the Honda volt gauge that I bought it off e-bay. It's all ready installed in the panel. I guess my next question is- How does that plastic trim strip come off ??? I need to take it off so I can get to the screw that holds the panel in place..... Thanks again for all the good info.........Larry :lol:

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Start on the bottom fingernail under it and jiggle it back and forth side to side pull EASILY there is tab at the top that holds in on also don't break it , back on by starting at top work down mildly pushing in and jiggling back and forth.
screws must go back in same location there all different, I number them with a small marker 1 at top and work down

·
Registered
110 Posts
How does that plastic trim strip come off ???

Start at bottom and from the inside pull towards you, then work your way up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts