GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a picture of the 3 pin aux connector that is under the left pocket? I have to make an adapter for someone, and can't use my bike as a guide because I cut mine off years ago when it went bad.

I know the colors, but don't know which position in the connector each color goes. The manual doesn't go into enough detail for that.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is actually the wrong end that I was looking for, but now that I think about it, I can translate those colors to the correct colors by using the service manual since it shows both ends.

That will do the trick. Thanks.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Found this one:

auxplug.jpg

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty much the same colors posted earlier, but it at least confirms that the previous connector is correct. Nothing seems to show the colors on the back side of the white connector. Honda used an off the shelf audio cable for the short headphone connector cable. Red, white and black are standard stereo cable colors. But it doesn't match the colors Honda uses in the bike's wiring harness. No matter. I think I have enough info now. I just have to hope the manual is correct.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The colors on the back side of the connector match the front side. They go straight through, there's no back/front ambiguity, personally confirmed but no pic handy. Key off the side with the latch.

As to whether they stick to the audio industry norm for Left, Right, Ground, I haven't personally validated but the smart money says they do.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The colors on the back side of the connector match the front side. They go straight through, there's no back/front ambiguity, personally confirmed but no pic handy. Key off the side with the latch.

As to whether they stick to the audio industry norm for Left, Right, Ground, I haven't personally validated but the smart money says they do.
Sorry, but they are not the same. The colors on the back side of the White connector, (bike side), are white, black, and green. They match up with the phone plug connector as white<>white, red<>black, and black<> green.

I knew what the colors were on the back side. I just didn't know what their position in the connector was. The pictures posted here gave the the clues I needed to figure it out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Just don't let the Magic Smoke out Larry M......!!! :eek:4:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
D'oh. What was I drinking when I looked at the back of the second jumper out to check, rather than the real plug back? Oh my. Thanks for the gentlemanly mild correction rather than the mighty dope slap I desreved!

I put most of my bike back together yesterday and may be in for some surprises down the road if that attention to detail carried through. Flash headlights to change radio band, etc...

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No problem. We all have our 15 minutes of shame. I'm up to about 25 hours by now, but who's counting.

There is one little correction to the colors I posted. On some bikes, that green ground wire is actually a bare shield that has been covered in black shrink tubing. So it is actually white, black, and black. You have to look really close to see which black wire is the insulated ground shield. One of the manuals, (2008 I think,) even shows the colors that way, which makes it really confusing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very useful. Now, does anyone know which of the three colored wires (white,red,black) match which of the three metal contacts of the cable plug (going to the mp3 player)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts