GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie to this board, but I'm sure happy to be able to use it now. Just bought an '06 Prem Audio and really love it. Had an '86 SEI before this and what a difference!
My question is this:
Inside the fuse box in the upper left corner, the manual says the two screw type terminals are AUX contacts and both are fused. The top one is a 30 amp fuse and the other just below it is a 5 amp fuse. On my bike only the top terminal is hot at all (acc. position) which is the 30 amp fuse. The second terminal under this one is not hot at all (5 amp). Is this correct or could there be another blown fuse somewhere else controlling the lower terminal?
Thanks in advance for all your help.
Dave :?:
'06 'Gold'

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Those two screws are the ACC terminals and are fused for 5A. The top screw is the Positive terminal and the bottom screw is the negative terminal.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jon. That makes sense. I guess I'm surprised, Honda sure didn't provide a neg terminal on the '86. They didn't even provide an ACC terminal at all!
From what I've read, you are the GPS expert on this board. I'll be needing your expertise soon when I go to hook up my Garmin 2820.
Again, Thanks for the info.
Dave :D

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Jon, How big of a fuse do you think that circuit could handle. Lets say somebody wanted to put a 15 or 20 amp fuse in there? I dont use mine at all, I was just wondering why Honda made it so small. I know it all depends on the wire gauge and etc, but I bet Honda uses the same wiring gauge for most of all thier runs, except for the obviuos things that take a whole lot more current.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
dadg01 said:
Thanks, Jon. That makes sense. I guess I'm surprised, Honda sure didn't provide a neg terminal on the '86. They didn't even provide an ACC terminal at all!
From what I've read, you are the GPS expert on this board. I'll be needing your expertise soon when I go to hook up my Garmin 2820.
Again, Thanks for the info.
Dave :D
Dave,
You might also check the GPS Passion forum. Some good info to be had there too.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/foru ... ORUM_ID=86

Good Luck with the 2820; still using the antiquated 2610 here. :wink:

·
Registered
755 Posts
Toyo said:
Jon, How big of a fuse do you think that circuit could handle. Lets say somebody wanted to put a 15 or 20 amp fuse in there? I dont use mine at all, I was just wondering why Honda made it so small. I know it all depends on the wire gauge and etc, but I bet Honda uses the same wiring gauge for most of all thier runs, except for the obviuos things that take a whole lot more current.
I believe the weak point in this circuit is the the wiring used for the ground terminal. If you do step up the fuse rating I would not use this ground terminal. Go directly to a frame ground.

Jon can likely say whether or not he thinks the current "+" side will handle a current upgrade. I don't think I would jump to a 20.

I really believe that these aux terminals are best used as the switch circuit for a relay. Then you can go to 15, 20, or 30 if you want. Connect the relay directly to the battery terminals and control it using this circuit.

JMHO

Good luck...

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
(Assuming there was no major changes from the earlier models)

The assumption by some is that since those terminals are on the fuse block that there is some sort of high-capacity solid bus that feeds them. The wiring to those terminals (both + & -) are not sized to handle larger loads - the positive terminal is fed through the ACC relay under the seat, which is powered through the 15A Audio/ACC fuse #21.

Don't oversize any fuse in any fuse block or holder - fuses need to be sized to protect the ampacity of the cable attached to them, which should be sized for the device load. Just increasing the fuse size is asking for an overload and possibly a fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts