GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a extension to go from the Aux cable in the left fairing compartment to my XM. The only ones I have been able to find are way bigger then the one that came with the bike.
Why didn't Honda make these things longer to begin with?
Does anyone know where to find one of these things?

Thx Wht Lightning

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
White Lightnig said:
I need a extension to go from the Aux cable in the left fairing compartment to my XM. The only ones I have been able to find are way bigger then the one that came with the bike.
Why didn't Honda make these things longer to begin with?
Does anyone know where to find one of these things?

Thx Wht Lightning
I got one from radio shack ...
It has a "male" connecter on one end and a "female" connecter on the other end.
I wanted a 3 ft one but they only had a 6 foot one.

Next time I have the pocket off I'll tuck the extra underneath.

Dennis

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
walmart has them for less than $5, but they are 6 feet long with straight ends

look or ask for 3.5 mm, they are in the section with MP3 player stuff around here

·
Registered
606 Posts
Extensions are nice but you'll always have to worry about the plugs detaching or corroding.
I've found the best thing to do is buy a longer aux extension cord so there are no connections to worry about.
Harold Smotherman at [email protected] makes not only the best ones out there but he's also a nice guy. (and I'm not on his payroll either! :)).

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you want to make sure they stay plugged together and don't corrode just put a piece of shrink tube over the connection. Once plugged together and the tape is heated it will be good for life.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
WL,

I have a 6' aux extension that actually plugs in to the harness where your existing cable plugs in with a 3.5mm plug on the end. Also, you will find that there is an intolerable amount of alternator whine due to the extension. For this you will want a Kennedy "IsoSet GL1800". You can see a complete description here: http://www.cellset.com/isoset.html

It so happens that I have both of these items for sale due to reconfiguring my aux on my Goldwing. I just sent you a PM or feel free to drop me an email if you are interested.

Merry Christmas!! :xmas1:

BAT

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
BAT1800 said:
Also, you will find that there is an intolerable amount of alternator whine due to the extension.
I do not expericne any whine on my 07 with a six foot extension running to an MP3 player mounted just below the ignition key.

When I installed my CB it came with 3 filters that I had to install.
... one under the seat and one each on each side of the fairing.

The CB sounds great.
The MP3 player sounds great too.

Could those filters have also eliminated any whine in my MP3 player?

I never hooked up the MP3 player until AFTER I installed the CB so I don't have any "before" experience with it.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I actually had the darn pocket out looking for where to plug the thing in...since you all know, is it somewhere I'm overlooking? I searched a while and put it all back together again and ran the XM off the FM radio thing (hate it, long rides make you need to switch channels).

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
ScooterK said:
I actually had the darn pocket out looking for where to plug the thing in...since you all know, is it somewhere I'm overlooking? I searched a while and put it all back together again and ran the XM off the FM radio thing (hate it, long rides make you need to switch channels).
The instructions in your Owner's Manual should be all you need. In my '02 manual it's on page 94.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
You'll find the AUX input connector in the black rubber boot at the forward LH side of the Left Pocket area. The AUX connector is the White one and the OEM pigtail will plug into that.

The alternator whine/ignition noise comes from connecting a bike-powered device (most, anyway) to the AUX input. It doesn't matter whether there is an extension involved or not.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Jon, I wonder; if he were to connect directly to the battery for his power would that eliminate the whine? :?: or :idea:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Jon said:
You'll find the AUX input connector in the black rubber boot at the forward LH side of the Left Pocket area. The AUX connector is the White one and the OEM pigtail will plug into that.

The alternator whine/ignition noise comes from connecting a bike-powered device (most, anyway) to the AUX input. It doesn't matter whether there is an extension involved or not.
Thanks, will look tomorrow. That will make life easier! Jeez I'm so techno-challenged I scare myself sometimes (I did get the pocket off though, guess that's something.... :oops: )

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
wing ryder said:
Jon, I wonder; if he were to connect directly to the battery for his power would that eliminate the whine? :?: or :idea:
99% no. You are still using the same electrical system as the power source. Most whine is introduced when you get into reducing voltage...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Interesting...I went to the owner's manual and now I know why it wasn't helpful the first time. It make NO REFERENCE to the supplied cable with the white thingy, rather refers to the whole cable being cable tied inside the boot. I wonder if they changed that shortly after and redid the book for newer models etc. I'm in the first couple hundred 1800's in 2001. That said, with the help of the great picture, I'm good to do this tomorrow (got lazy today) so we can listen to the Bears beat the Pack on Sunday while we ride back from Cortez.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts