GL1800Riders Forums banner

how many miles do you get between gas fill ups?

• 200 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200 to 300 miles

• 300-350 miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find an aux. fuel cell to add to our bike? I have found several places on the web that make them for the GL1800, but all of them mount on the passenger seat. I want to be able to mount it some place else so my wife can still ride with me. Anyone know of anything like this? Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Sampson can make custom cells that will do what you want. The link to their site is:

http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/custom_fuel_cells.html

Only problem with this type of cell is the need to add a fuel pump...
but if you want to take a passenger along, doesn't leave you much of a choice.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
126 Posts
Champion sidecars made a aux fuel cell that fit into a saddlebag, but I haven't seen their product for the 1800.
The Feb 'Rider' magazine has an ST1100 that had a aux tank that replaced the rear fender. The nice thing about this setup was that the top was below the top of the ST1100 tank, and the bottom was above the bottom of the main tank, so that it filled and drained automatically.
(Yeah, I know, it wouldn't work for the 1800 because of the tank placement, but it's still good engineering!).
I'd like a cell that was tolerant of crash conditions (like not exploding), rather than just a tank, required a minimum of rider attention, and didn't
mess up my bikes looks. So far hadn't found one that met even two of those requirements, much less three!
The sampson site looks promising, although the tank shown uses the passenger seat and that doesn't really meet my requirements (unless I'm missing something. Hey, it happens.). Do you have experience with them?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Sampson for the GL1800 does not use a fule pump, it is
gravity feed. (According to the spec, never seen one).

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've emailed Sampson

I hope to hear from them soon. I want something like the one in Rider mag, that fits on the rear of the bike and leaves the passenger seat free for my wife to sit on. I don't know if I could come up with the design for someone to make it for me..... lots of engineering has to go into it to come up with the right size, shape and capacity. I'd like to try a few Iron Butt rides but I find that when we are covering a long distance, and I am not sure where the next gas station will be, I tend to stop and fill up at abour 150-200 miles, fuel gauge is at 1/3 to 1/4 at that time. The bike is getting 35-40 MPG so I know I can go farther, but I get worried about finding gas, so if I see a place , I pull in and fill up. I won't make good time in any distance rally doing that. I have found lots of aux cells that fit on the passenger seat. That doesn't work for me. Someone must have done this before me, just hope I can tap into that. :wink:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Perhaps I am not a true "Iron-butter" but I have found that after 200 miles (even on a wing) that I am ready to get off and stretch my legs for just a few minutes. :oops:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: I've emailed Sampson

Rick M said:
I don't know if I could come up with the design for someone to make it for me..... lots of engineering
Not sure that I agree. Not much engineering there. Only challenge is finding a place on the bike to hang it, with minimal impact on your ride.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote="VA Rider]

Not sure that I agree. Not much engineering there. Only challenge is finding a place on the bike to hang it, with minimal impact on your ride.[/quote]

Finding a place to hang it, with minimal impact on your ride :idea: sounds like engineering to me. :wink: Not only that, but the Iron Butt group has a rule that the total capacity must not be greater than 11.5 US gal. So ... find a place to hang it, then come up with a size and shape that would give a total capacity of not more than 11.5 gals. I'm not an engineer :? (but I do have a son that is) :lol: and that stuff is out of my area of expertise. But as I said, I'm hoping that someone has already done that work and I can get the info. :wink:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Mike #5060 said:
The Sampson for the GL1800 does not use a fule pump, it is
gravity feed. (According to the spec, never seen one).
Mike,
The "standard" Sampson GL1800 fuel cell that mounts to the passenger seat. But if he were to get a custom cell, that uses a reciever hitch mount (rear between saddlebags) it would be below the fuel tank and gravity wouldn't work.

Gravity is the preffered method, just because having a fuel pump is one more part that can fail... but shouldn't be a huge worry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Something about having a tank hanging off the back with
a gas pipe running to the main tank makes me feel
vulnerable...but it is something to think about.

Send email to Champion sidecar people, their tank looks
pretty nice but seems like it's tailored for the older bikes.

T

·
0 Posts
How far are you trying to go, for a LONG RIDE, as you say? I have ridden in many "iron butt rides" and I can make 1000 miles in 18 hours, not 24 which seem to be the norm. I did not use a fuel cell and like the others have said, you need to stop even if it's only for fuel stops. They take about 10 minutes and then you can press on.
Save your money for the snacks and the needed fuel. You can plan your fuel stops, if you do some pre-planning. Only fools don't do that! LOL
You found a woman that will ride like the wind? You better keep her! Most don't even want to get on one for that long. LOL
Ride Safe & Ride Free,

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Trikeman said:
How far are you trying to go, for a LONG RIDE, as you say? I have ridden in many "iron butt rides" and I can make 1000 miles in 18 hours, not 24 which seem to be the norm. I did not use a fuel cell and like the others have said, you need to stop even if it's only for fuel stops. They take about 10 minutes and then you can press on.
Save your money for the snacks and the needed fuel. You can plan your fuel stops, if you do some pre-planning. Only fools don't do that! LOL
You found a woman that will ride like the wind? You better keep her! Most don't even want to get on one for that long. LOL
Ride Safe & Ride Free,
We agree on one thing... 1000 miles in a day is simple, but add the 2nd day, and the 3rd... or 10th.

For the casual "LD rider" who is happy with getting a SS1K cert and calling it good, that is great advice. But start doing multi day endurance riding, especially across areas where fuel may not be so prevelant, and a fuel cell becomes an important piece of equipment.

That and I tend to not get the greatest mileage (mostly "self-induced") and find myself lucky if I get 200 miles on a tank. Makes for a long multi-day ride, having to stop every 200 miles.

I want to have the freedom to not have to stop when I need to, but rather to be able to choose when I stop (or when I am really on a roll, when the IBA dictates I must stop at least every 350 miles).

I'll agree, a fuel cell is not a necessity for the average rider. But most serious riders have one. And sure, there are great LD riders who don't.

To me it is about freedom and adding another tool to make my LD rides more comfortable and give me more control.

To each his own...

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Spare fuel supply

With regards to the need for a fuel pump. I added a fuel tank to the bottom rear of my Escapade trailer. Used a outboard fuel quick disconnect to get the fuel from the trailer to the bike. Originaly there was a fuel pump installed. But later I found that the Gl 1200 pump was strong enough to pull the fuel all the way from the rear of the trailer. Used it that way for years and loved the extra 100 miles it provided.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Aux Fuel Tank/Cell

I do not use a fuel cell because of several reasons. One, you should exercise your legs during a long day to prevent blood pooling in your legs. You can do this on the motorcycle, which I do, but you need to stop and walk around at those gas stops. The other problem is Gold Wingers go to all extemes with flashing and pulsating lights to show someone they are stopping. If being rear ended on a motorcycle is a problem, then why would you want to hang a gas container on the rear of the motorcycle. Also, the IBA rules say you must document corners, so that requires a stop at that point. IMHO the aux tank is not needed.

Ed Jenkins, Pawnee, Il
01, 100,000 miles, IBA 16990

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[quote="IB Mike

For the casual "LD rider" who is happy with getting a SS1K cert and calling it good, that is great advice. But start doing multi day endurance riding, especially across areas where fuel may not be so prevelant, and a fuel cell becomes an important piece of equipment.

I'll agree, a fuel cell is not a necessity for the average rider. But most serious riders have one. And sure, there are great LD riders who don't.

To me it is about freedom and adding another tool to make my LD rides more comfortable and give me more control.
To each his own...[/quote]

Thanks IB Mike, :wink: we share the same feelings about this. The wife and I did a 7000 plus trip from our home in Ohio to SanDiego,Ca and back a few months ago and being in unfamilar to us and not knowing :? where the next fuel stop was going to be was a bit of a worry :cry: at times whenb we were out west. I'd like to have that extra fuel so I can stop when and where I want and not feel uneasy when I pass a gas station and have 200 miles on that tank of gas already. Plus we'll be able to do some LD rallies and such.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts