GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you out there mounted an auxilary fuel tank? If so, can you share details about how you taped into the existing fuel system? I'm trying to come up with a way to make a connection I can remove easily.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have mounted several Fuel Cells on my GL1500 and now my GL1800 wing.
I have the first one which is a 4.8 gal, my tail dragger 5.5 gal, and now my 17.5 gal tank. The 4.8 gal and the now 17.5 gal set on the back set where the passinger sets.

I am not sure I can explain it that easly but I can try. But it is to big for this site

·
Registered
725 Posts
short and sweet, My tanks have an out side fuel pump that pumps the gas in the the OEM tank and you use one fuel gauge.
Take set off:
Looking at the of the tank the metal rounf part that is closet to the front of the bike.
Take that out and drill a hole in it and put an elboe connector either weld or JB weld will work.

Run your hoses and your done connect your out side fuel pump to a switch and you ready to go.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Can you share details about how you taped into the existing fuel system? I'm trying to come up with a way to make a connection I can remove easily.
You can tap right into the fuel tank cover under the seat. I used a length of fuel rated hose. One end has a quick disconnect that goes to the aux tank, the other end is attached to an elbow that was simply tapped into the fuel tank cover located under the seat. Tight fit but it works fine.

This is the tank I use. Very happy with it:

http://www.dayledesigns.com/qt/

·
Registered
581 Posts
Whatever you use for an Aux fuel tank be VERY CAREFUL when you first install one and I'd even suggest pressure testing with a non-flammable liquid (water?) in the tank beforehand to avoid having gasoline leaking all over your seat!! (DAMHIKT!! :22yikes:)
It is NOT fun to be goin' 70 mph (or so) down the interstate and smelling gasoline behind you!

Also make sure to do a "test run" instead of trying an interstate run with a never before used tank - not a good idea!! LOL

Dave

·
Registered
725 Posts
I agree with LD_rider, I have no idea why D_Epler seem to think you would not check for leaks before you used it.:eek:4:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Have any of you out there mounted an auxilary fuel tank? If so, can you share details about how you taped into the existing fuel system? I'm trying to come up with a way to make a connection I can remove easily.
Hmrepairs,

Too bad I've been forced to be here in California, this winter, riding! While you've been able to perform winter maintenance/modifications to your bike & have it ready for spring.
If I was there, I'd ride on over to Mitchell & show you my Aux fuel cell, plumbing etc.

Most people that have added Aux fuel cells use the method described above. By adding a bulkhead fitting to the plate on top of the tank.

Sleddog

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heres a tank manufacture that is a whole lot less expensive

http://www.tourtank.com/tourtanks.html
Loren:
Exactly what I was looking for! The only thing better would have been a rubber bladder type fuel cell but the round aluminum beer keg style will do just fine.

I'm thinking of mounting a 12"X20" (10 gal if it fits) in the rear luggage box and gravity feed to a fitting on top of the OEM tank. 1/4" vent line from filler neck snaked out the bottom and several hundred miles to a tankful should be no problem. Anyone have any experience on gravity feeding from the rear luggage compartment? Since I pull a trailer I can afford the loss of the main luggage compartment. I'd rather do this than lose the rear seating area. Although, 60-70 lbs. might be a tad heavy for the rear box. Comments on any experienced problems would be appreciated...

Oh, sorry for the semi-hijack of this thread but I think any/all comments to my Q's may further help the OP.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
yes that is too much weight for the trunk

it would work on the seat

maybe a 5-6 gallon would work in the trunk

also note, this company sells a duffel bag cover for their tanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree with LD_rider, I have no idea why D_Epler seem to think you would not check for leaks before you used it.:eek:4:
Dusty,
I had MEANT to check everything out 100% but got behind...I had checked all the plumbing, but it was my TANK that leaked at a weld. I had thought it would be ok and only my FITTINGS would perhaps be an issue.

Serves me right for not doing a test run before hitting the highway - ALL MY FAULT!!!

Dave

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
This is about the most cost efficient bladder type of auxilary tank.
www.justgastanks.com
The costs for fittings for the plumbing set up reflect the quality which you use.
http://www.tourtank.com/parts.html has a good selection i/c quick disconnects.
Here is a step by step build for a Jaz 4 US gallon tank
http://www.jazproducts.com/econo_fuel_cells.html

http://www.flippedbit.net/Cycle-Sled/images/Goldwing/Fuel_cell/Fuel_Cells.htm
This is the tank that I went with for my build.
The downside is that the trunk opening is limited to about 6" with the tank in place.
{If you loosen the mounting bolts and slide the entire unit foreward the trunk will completely open.}
After it is all said and done, it is hard to beat the tank made by Quickdraw @ http://www.dayledesigns.biz/qt/HowTo.htm

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good info here. I had thought about using my trunk area too, but decided it's too much weight up too high. About the only time I would use an aux tank is when pulling the trailer so here was my idea. Locate aux tank in the rear of the trailer, with filler extending outside. Plumb to some sort of quick disconnect located at the rear of the bike. Locate small fuel pump in the trailer, switched from the bike, so you basically transfer fuel while going down the road.

I had planned on using a 10 gallon spun aluminum tank, (about 80 lbs full). The benefit I can see is you still have a completely useable (trunk, bags, back seat) bike when you get where your going if your unhooking the trailer. Drawbacks of course are leaks and added weight.

Love hearing different ideas.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
:wrong: Half the fun is stopping in small towns or small stores on the side of the road to get the local feeling. i would rather do that than add an extra tank

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
:wrong: Half the fun is stopping in small towns or small stores on the side of the road to get the local feeling. i would rather do that than add an extra tank
you mean the little dump towns with the old stations,prepay and no card readers, outside-locked toilets that havent been cleaned in 20 some years, and they only charge 50 cents over the normal rate per gallon

i dont have a extra tank, now i may need to think about one if i can avoid those places

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Half the fun is stopping in small towns or small stores on the side of the road to get the local feeling. i would rather do that than add an extra tank
Far as I know, there is no law forbidding anyone with an aux fuel tank from stopping in small stores or the side of the road to get the <local feeling> ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good info here. I had thought about using my trunk area too, but decided it's too much weight up too high. About the only time I would use an aux tank is when pulling the trailer so here was my idea. Locate aux tank in the rear of the trailer, with filler extending outside...
Love hearing different ideas.
You would do better putting that kind of weight over the wheels and opening the lid for fueling. That much weight aft of the wheels would have to have a counter weight up front when pulling an empty trailer or it might get squirrly without sufficient tongue weight.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You would do better putting that kind of weight over the wheels and opening the lid for fueling. That much weight aft of the wheels would have to have a counter weight up front when pulling an empty trailer or it might get squirrly without sufficient tongue weight.
Point well taken. Do you know of some sort of quick connect that would work in this application? I keep coming back to pressure washer couplings, but they won't be leak-proof.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I don't have a picture handy, but I had a 4 gallon tank made to use on my Bunkhouse & Cyclemate trailers.
It's 24" wide 12" deep & 4" tall....I mounted it on the tongue of the trailer where most people mount their coolers. I attached rails across the top for a cooler to set on.

Hmrepairs, PM me...I have a brother that lives in Mt. Vernon. He has a tank like mine. you could take a look at. Unfortunatly he rides a Kawasaki Voyager....:wrong: I tell him he can't ride a GW cause they don't let A*&%holes ride 'wings:lol:

Sleddog

1 - 20 of 39 Posts