GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems early to me to be working on next winter's update list, but here goes anyway. I am wanting to improve my lighting.

Currently I have:
E/C LED low beams
E/C LED high beams
E/C LED high output cowl lights
ADVMonster Model 30 10 degree 10 W driving lights mounted on PIAA mounts under the headlights

The only thing I'm dissatisfied with is the driving lights. I am considering the Denali D4 lights mounted underneath my mirrors with the SoCal bracket and I would use them in hybrid mode. I would completely remove the ADVMonster lights.

Has anyone used the Denali D4s? They seem to be a relatively inexpensive high output LED light that can provide both a spot pattern and a flood pattern.

I looked at a couple of models from LEDRider but they seem to be somewhat more expensive for similar light output. LEDRider also seems to publish less information about the light patterns from their lights.

I briefly looked at the Clearwater lights but they seem to be in a completely different category and I did not think I needed that much light.

Opinions?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I do not ride at night if I can help it. If you like the D4s, you should consider the D7s. only slightly larger (about 1/2"), but 2X the lumens.

I would consider them, especially since they can be wired with your head lamp for low/high beams.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not ride at night if I can help it. If you like the D4s, you should consider the D7s. only slightly larger (about 1/2"), but 2X the lumens.
I would consider them, especially since they can be wired with your head lamp for low/high beams.
They are 50% more expensive for double the light. However, I'm skeptical of their weight on the SoCal mounting bracket. How much will the bracket flex hanging down with that much weight on it? What would they look like to an oncoming driver who just pops up over a hill and comes face to face with the D7s? Will it blind them completely? Will they be so bright that I have to leave them off most of the time? I don't know the answers to these questions. I also have not been able to find a light pattern from TwistedThrottle for the D7s either. I have seen some Clearwater lights I thought were so bright they could nearly blind drivers in the day time. I'm wanting to avoid that.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Clearwater lights (at least the Darlas I had on my '14 BMW R1200RT) are dimmable in 10-percent increments.

As I understand it, not all LED lights are capable of being dimmed.

As an aside, the OEM aux lights on my '19 Gold Wing DCT Tour are good, but nowhere near as good as the Clearwaters. But I chose the OEM option because I bought the Wing new and didn't want to mess around with aftermarket wiring on a new bike that is under new vehicle warranty. So I accepted the compromise.

If I had an out of warranty bike, no question I would choose the aftermarket route.

Tim

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just looked at Clearwater lights. They are even more. To get equivalent to Denali D7s, the cost is in excess of $1,000. The size appears similar

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Denali D4s - 8700 lumens per lamp.

I have the LEDRider LX5's - at 5000 lumens per lamp, I bring a 1/4 mile of daylight with me when they are on at 100% :nojoke:

I'd found NOS original PIAA brackets (74181) for the lights years ago; zero issues.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Choices

Denali D4s - 8700 lumens per lamp.

I have the LEDRider LX5's - at 5000 lumens per lamp, I bring a 1/4 mile of daylight with me when they are on at 100% :nojoke:

I'd found NOS original PIAA brackets (74181) for the lights years ago; zero issues.
Thanks for the input

I sent mail to the sales guy at LEDRider and he said that the LD5s were similar to the LX5s in light output, just not as pretty mounted on the bike. However, the LD5s are very inexpensive at $130 each. The 74181 is essentially not available any more but SoCalMoto and Foxcreek both have brackets that will work on my pre 2018 bike. I will put my lights under the bracket so I can keep the National wind wings under my mirrors.

It appears that the Denali lights are better documented as to how they perform but the LEDRider lights (especially the LD5s) seem to be better in terms of price performance. The LEDrider lights also have a more flexible dimmer than Denali does.

I've seen a comparison with the D4s off and on with a normal motorcycle headlight and they do not seem to be insanely bright, but they do seem to have a pretty wide beam while covering a significant distance. I am wondering how effective the D4s would be at replacing the light from my E/C cowl lights when I'm on high beams. I would like to at least appear legal and only have 4 forward facing white lights and still be able to see well. Currently I have 6 lights on when I turn on my high beams.

I am thinking that any of these lights would be a huge upgrade in comparison to my current $80 - 10W ADVMonster model 30 lights.

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Thanks for the input

I sent mail to the sales guy at LEDRider...
It's a small operation - Jason does a fine job, but he also has other irons in the fire...like riding motorcycles and running rallies.

The LEDrider lights also have a more flexible dimmer than Denali does.
Yeah, the Skene controller is cool. My wiring setup was recommended by another rider here. I have a relay between the controller and the aux lights. This gives me the ability to run low & high beam without the need for the aux lights.

Skene allows me to run 20% with low beams - which can be more than enough conspicuity light at times during the day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts