GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the EC aux power outlet to use with my '06 ABS to power my XM radio. Everyone on this board assured me that the power plug under the left pocket was available in my bike. It was too, except for one minor detail. When I took the pocket out and looked for the marked X on the front face, there was none to be found. It finally dawned on me that the reason there is no mark is that the aux power port won't fit without interfering with the lever and cable that moves the foot warmer doors.

Hmmm, there does not seem to be any available room anywhere else either. Any ideas?

Ed'06 ABS

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
You can't go left, right, up or down on the front wall of the box to clear the cable(s)? :? It's jsut a single cable there isn't it? I haven't had a '06 w/comfort apart so I'm just making possible suggestions. You're the first that has mentioned it being a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Look in front. strait down and forward all the way.thats where I found mine. :twisted:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I drilled my hole in the back wall (towards the front of the bike) then realized I screwed up. No room for the guts of the plug because of said cable assembly (foot warmers).
There is now black duct tape over the hole until I can find a suitable plug. I did drill a hole 1-1/8" in the right front narrow wall (call it Northeast) and down a little below half way from the top. It fits, but it is a little tight for my fat fingers.....only place I could find for the plug. The trunk is next!

Eric

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Don't know exactly what the "marked X" is all about. You're trying to install a 12vdc power outlet like a cigarette adaptor right. I think that goes inthe panmel under the left fairing poicket where the shock pre-load switches are. Is this what you're talking about?

When I ran power to my Sirius I used the 12vdc plug (inthe rubber boot behind the left fairing pocket) and ranthe wire under all the shelter and up the handle bar to the radio mounted ona Hoon mount on the clutch resevoir. I think you're talking about using the cigarette type plug to plug in the cable that comes with the radio. That is fine (if you can find a place tomount it) but it's much cleanre without that big ugly plug and wired straight to the Honda type connector that plugs straight into the bikes connector.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Location, location, location

What Nightrider57 said, will work just fine.
Dennis

·
Registered
405 Posts
I encountered the same problem. An earlier post gave me the correct answer. On the '06 it can be installed on the angled surface between the right side and the front wall of the pocket. In other words, the wall of the pocket that is a little wider than the outlet itself. There was a photo on the earlier post, but if I've not been clear in describing the position for the outlet let me know and I'll post a photo.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I installed the plug in my 06 to the right of front in the box....works great. Straight ahead will not work....not enought room for the stuff due to the cables but to the right it works.

freddy

·
Registered
589 Posts
Once you have the pocket out look under a good light. As posted here on the upper right hand side (angled corner) there is a X. Use a pilot bit with a hole saw and center the pilot bit on the X. It will be perfect at this point if you match up the hole size with the power outlet. The ''X'' will be on the OUTSIDE of the pocket.

Good luck I had a hard time myself seeing it until I got the pocket in good light.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have an 06 with the full package and I just finished doing this install. I was not able to find a place to put the plug in the front of the box. I looked high and low for the X. could not find that. What I ended up doing was cutting the hole in the front of the box big enough for the plug. Then I used a rubber plug from a phone box that was the exact size of the hole. I then installed a plug with a short wire on it that I ran through the rubber plug. It takes up a little more room in the pocket, but it works. For power to the plug I installed a relay and wired it directly to the battery. That way I can use a 12 volt air pump off this connection. I have it wired so that the plug goes dead when the key is off.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Mike, Freddy, and Doug are right! It goes in the upper right side of the pocket on the angled wall. There is an X marked on the outside of the box. The installation is simple.

Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts