GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aux quit sending to my helmet. Everything seems to be in order, wires, ect. Is there a fuse or something I am overlooking. This is plugged into my GPS and worked fine until the GPS went out. I bought a new one like I had (Tomtom Go 730) now nothing. Any solutions :shrug:
Anything to look at, music will go to helmet...puzzled about this one.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Try spraying the aux plug with some contact cleaner and run it into the hole a few times. Sometimes the holes just need to be cleaned out a bit. That was the case with my phone when I tried to connect it to the aux plug. It works fine now. YMMV

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Most likely the micro plug that plugs into the GPS. Wiggle it around a bit, see it if works, sometimes that plug does not line up just right.

Or a loose connector in the area it plug in under the little storage box. That comes loose sometimes.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try spraying the aux plug with some contact cleaner and run it into the hole a few times. Sometimes the holes just need to be cleaned out a bit. That was the case with my phone when I tried to connect it to the aux plug. It works fine now. YMMV
Cleaned contact points last night...still nothing.:thumbup:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely the micro plug that plugs into the GPS. Wiggle it around a bit, see it if works, sometimes that plug does not line up just right.

Or a loose connector in the area it plug in under the little storage box. That comes loose sometimes.
Kit, I did all the wiggleing I could think of...top where GPS is and under the box. I do get some static from the GPS unit when I wiggle the pin at the gps. I may just go to Radio shak and get another cord and try that. This is not good...frustrating.

By the way...the GPS does talk, just wont come through the aux to my helmet.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Kit, I did all the wiggleing I could think of...top where GPS is and under the box. I do get some static from the GPS unit when I wiggle the pin at the gps. I may just go to Radio shak and get another cord and try that. This is not good...frustrating.

By the way...the GPS does talk, just wont come through the aux to my helmet.
Something else you can do to eliminate the GPS is stop at a Dollar store and get a real cheap set of headphones. Or if you have a grand kid with a head set, with the same size plug, plug that into the GPS, if you can hear it is not the GPS or the plug and could in fact be the AUX button.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something else you can do to eliminate the GPS is stop at a Dollar store and get a real cheap set of headphones. Or if you have a grand kid with a head set, with the same size plug, plug that into the GPS, if you can hear it is not the GPS or the plug and could in fact be the AUX button.

:thumbup: Good idea, will try that this evening.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Dumb question. Do you have the volume turned up on the GPS.

Did you try substituing another source, like an mp3 player into the aux input?

Although not impossible, it is unlikely to be a problem in the radio. It is either a problem with the GPS or the cable. If you have a Ground Loop Isolator, that could be the problem too.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dumb question. Do you have the volume turned up on the GPS.

Did you try substituing another source, like an mp3 player into the aux input?

Although not impossible, it is unlikely to be a problem in the radio. It is either a problem with the GPS or the cable. If you have a Ground Loop Isolator, that could be the problem too.

No such thing as dumb question when troubleshooting Larry...I did find my problem and corrected. All works...yeaaa.

There was something I needed to select inside the GPS in order for it to go through the external cord. I guess my other one came selected cause it worked from day one. Anyway ...thanks to all for helping. At least one thing, my connectors are good and clean...:):thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
No such thing as dumb question when troubleshooting Larry...I did find my problem and corrected. All works...yeaaa.

There was something I needed to select inside the GPS in order for it to go through the external cord. I guess my other one came selected cause it worked from day one. Anyway ...thanks to all for helping. At least one thing, my connectors are good and clean...:):thumbup:
Just for that go clean them again. :roll:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
That's great. I figured it was something similar to that. That is why I asked those questions. Thanks for letting us know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts