GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Plumbing in my aux fuel cell today and I have a few questions about the GL1800 tank venting system.

I used AN fittings and bulkhead seals from Jeg's/Earls and that went well.

When I blow through the 1/4" line to test it it appears the tank gets slightly pressurized and will "blow back" some of the air I blew in.

I am assuming there is a spring loaded poppet valve as part of the tank venting system?

My aux tank is where the passenger sits. Will the slight head pressure be able to overcome this?

Is there a slight vacuum pulled on the tank when the engine is running as part of the EVAP emissions controls?

I plan on doing a test ride this evening. Through a 1/4" line I fully expect it to take 30-45 minutes to drain the aux tank fully (4.7 gallons).

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Andy

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I use a gravity fed aux tank plumbed into the top of the fuel pump plate. It takes about 15 minutes to empty the aux tank. One caution, you must keep the aux tank valve closed until you are at about and 1/8 of a tank. If you open the aux tank too soon, it will over flow the main tank escaping via the charcoal filter tank behind the front wheel. When that happens the engine will run very rough and probably stall. Once you have saturated the charcoal filter tank it can take up to 30 minutes to clear itself before the bike will idle correctly.

If I remember correctly there is a vacuum operated valve which vents via the charcoal filter tank. That charcoal filter tank collects and holds fumes until the bike is started then vents itself clean into the intake system.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Hello,

Plumbing in my aux fuel cell today and I have a few questions about the GL1800 tank venting system.

I used AN fittings and bulkhead seals from Jeg's/Earls and that went well.
Make sure that the O-ring that you use for a seal at the fuel pump plate is rated for gasoline.

gramps

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure that the O-ring that you use for a seal at the fuel pump plate is rated for gasoline.

gramps

I used an Earl's Stat-O Seal which appears to be a Viton O-Ring which is as fuel resistant as anything.

Thanks for the heads up.

When full, the sending unit plate is definitely submerged in fuel...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts