GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. I am in the early stages of evlauating the various manufacturers of auxiliary fuel cells for the GW1800. I'm familiar with Sampson's cell. Can anyone suggest other possible venders? If possible, I need a tank that will allow the use of Kury passenger armrests and Kury driver backrest while using the tank.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Bruce, looking myself. Have seen the Sampson online, but a little pricey. Check out ,,,,, tourtank.com ,,, and ,,, BLM-accessories.com ,,, Emailed BLM yesterday, but no reply yet.. Saw a tank that fits inside saddlebag, but person/persons are no longer making them. Placed ad on the forum, but no feedback so far. Had saddlebag tank on my 1500 and loved it.
Let me know if you see anything, will do the same here.

Take care & be well,

RiderUSA

50 States on MC

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Bruce - it all depends upon your budget and what you want to spend for the auxiliary fuel cell on the 1800. Over the years there have been several styles that have been made for our model of Wing and of course some individuals have improvised with either custom built tanks or used a pre-made auxiliary fuel cell and adapted that to the bike.

Ron Smith was one of the original designers of a Goldwing fuel cell and although he regretably passed away his tank design can still be purchased through the Sampson site and his partner who still makes them. You can also contact Quickdraw through this site and get information on his tank design and find out about the availability and cost (I have that tank and have used mine for about 1 1/2 years with a great amount of satisfaction). One adantage of our fuel cell over Ron's design is the ability to fully open the rear trunk, whereas with the Sampson tank you can only open the trunk partially.

Another option could be to use a Summiit Racing 4 gallon aluminum fuel cell (RCI equivalent) and add a safe way to mount it to the rear seat along with the necessary adaptors, valves and lines. I explored that option early on (along with a custom built tank), but the opportunity came up to get one of the last tanks of the first batch of tanks from Quickdraw so I jumped on it. I still think the Summit 4 gallon tank would make a great fuel cell for the 1800 if you could have a mounting mechanizm made that would work to both hold it and remove it easily when you wanted (you also need two quick disconnects (Sampson's work best) for the fuel line and vent line).

A good well designed auxiliary fuel cell is a great thing to have if you do a lot of traveling and put a lot of miles on your Wing.

Good Luck,

DaleC

P.S. Some have used the plastic Jasco tank on a variety of motorcycles, but I'm not that impressed with the construction quality in the event of an accident. That's just my own opinion and preference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RiderUSA said:
Bruce, looking myself. Have seen the Sampson online, but a little pricey. Check out ,,,,, tourtank.com ,,, and ,,, BLM-accessories.com ,,, Emailed BLM yesterday, but no reply yet.. Saw a tank that fits inside saddlebag, but person/persons are no longer making them. Placed ad on the forum, but no feedback so far. Had saddlebag tank on my 1500 and loved it.
Let me know if you see anything, will do the same here.

Take care & be well,

RiderUSA

50 States on MC[/quote

Thanks for the leads and reply Mr. Rider. I emailed BLM and he responded that he made a 'taildragger' designed tank for the GW; which I did not prefer. It looks like I'll either go with the Sampson or Mr. Quickdraw's tank as posted by DaleC in the post below. Thanks again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaleC said:
Bruce - it all depends upon your budget and what you want to spend for the auxiliary fuel cell on the 1800. Over the years there have been several styles that have been made for our model of Wing and of course some individuals have improvised with either custom built tanks or used a pre-made auxiliary fuel cell and adapted that to the bike.

Ron Smith was one of the original designers of a Goldwing fuel cell and although he regretably passed away his tank design can still be purchased through the Sampson site and his partner who still makes them. You can also contact Quickdraw through this site and get information on his tank design and find out about the availability and cost (I have that tank and have used mine for about 1 1/2 years with a great amount of satisfaction). One adantage of our fuel cell over Ron's design is the ability to fully open the rear trunk, whereas with the Sampson tank you can only open the trunk partially.

Another option could be to use a Summiit Racing 4 gallon aluminum fuel cell (RCI equivalent) and add a safe way to mount it to the rear seat along with the necessary adaptors, valves and lines. I explored that option early on (along with a custom built tank), but the opportunity came up to get one of the last tanks of the first batch of tanks from Quickdraw so I jumped on it. I still think the Summit 4 gallon tank would make a great fuel cell for the 1800 if you could have a mounting mechanizm made that would work to both hold it and remove it easily when you wanted (you also need two quick disconnects (Sampson's work best) for the fuel line and vent line).

A good well designed auxiliary fuel cell is a great thing to have if you do a lot of traveling and put a lot of miles on your Wing.

Good Luck,

DaleC

Thank you Dale for your infomation. I have/had Quickdraw's website listed as a 'favorite' and tried to access it last night without success. Can you put me in touch with him? IIRC, his tank was somewhere near $1000 and Sampson is ~$600 or so. I like the appearance and design features of your tank; just not sure I can justify the additional expense for something that I would use very little. I've planned a significant IBA ride this coming September and an auxiliary tank would almost be mandantory for a successful ride and finish. Thank you again for sharing your knowlegdge and pictures with me, I appreciate it!

P.S. Some have used the plastic Jasco tank on a variety of motorcycles, but I'm not that impressed with the construction quality in the event of an accident. That's just my own opinion and preference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have built a couple of tanks. I just built one that will hold about 4.5 gal. It will either set on the tongue of my trailer, where a cooler would set. or I can move it up and put in on my receiver hitch. I put a switch inside the door to the stock tank that turns on a small fuel pump and the fuel is pumped into the main tank. I have run a tank like this for several years, and it has worked fine. It only held 2.5 gal, and was made of steel, so I made this one of alum. and larger.

Hope this helps or gives ya some ideas

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Neatest install I have ever seen is one from Firecreek. Replaced the rear fender, and you have to look twice to even know its there. Maybe Redeye or Tom will post a picture. If you don't care about giving up the back seat, the one DaleC has made by Quickdraw is very functional.

·
Registered
307 Posts
RiderUSA said:
Bruce, looking myself. Have seen the Sampson online, but a little pricey. Check out ,,,,, tourtank.com ,,, and ,,, BLM-accessories.com ,,, Emailed BLM yesterday, but no reply yet.. Saw a tank that fits inside saddlebag, but person/persons are no longer making them. Placed ad on the forum, but no feedback so far.
50 States on MC
here's what you need.
I have one and it works great. It did not come cheap. Let me know how much you are willing to spend and I can get you some more info. I am not sure that the fellow that makes them is still willing to do it, as it was costly . Email me at rickpatatusadotcom (replace the word "at" with @ and the "dot" with "." as I do not check in here very often.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to everyone who responded!

Rick M said:
RiderUSA said:
Bruce, looking myself. Have seen the Sampson online, but a little pricey. Check out ,,,,, tourtank.com ,,, and ,,, BLM-accessories.com ,,, Emailed BLM yesterday, but no reply yet.. Saw a tank that fits inside saddlebag, but person/persons are no longer making them. Placed ad on the forum, but no feedback so far.
50 States on MC
here's what you need.
I have one and it works great. It did not come cheap. Let me know how much you are willing to spend and I can get you some more info. I am not sure that the fellow that makes them is still willing to do it, as it was costly . Email me at rickpatatusadotcom (replace the word "at" with @ and the "dot" with "." as I do not check in here very often.
Just wanted to say "Thank You" to each of you who responded to my question. I've made arrangements to purchase a used Jaz 4 gallon tank with all necessary mounting hardware from a fellow Iron Butt rider. I will not have it installed until the third week in March; at which time I'll post pictures and later on my thoughts on it's performance.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
IR Harry said:
Neatest install I have ever seen is one from Firecreek. Replaced the rear fender, and you have to look twice to even know its there. Maybe Redeye or Tom will post a picture. If you don't care about giving up the back seat, the one DaleC has made by Quickdraw is very functional.
Harry - I have a few photos of Tom's incredible auxiliary fuel cell. I'd echo Harry's praise of the custom job that Tom did on this fuel cell that sits right behind the rear wheel. Perfect for a rider that does a lot of 2 up riding. In this case, since the fuel cell is much lower that the one I have resting on the rear seat, it requires a fuel pump to send the fuel up to the main tank. A great job, but as Tom told me, a lot of work to design and make it too.

DaleC

P.S. As I recall it was about 3.75 gallons.

·
Registered
19,316 Posts
Talk about a slick setup :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
That one takes the cake!!!!! If you were not looking real close you would never notice it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Where are you guys going that you need an extra fuel tank? I am not being a smart A$$ but gas stations aren't that far apart. The gas tank that sits on the back seat looks like a bomb waiting to go off, and where does the SO ride with this set up? The tank is the left bag is also a bomb ready to blow you up if hit in the side. Man what are you guys thinking :oops: ?

If you need extra gas wouldn't a plastic gas can make more sense? $20.00 is a small price compared to the crazy prices you guys are paying for a couple of extra gallons of gas.

Pap

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pap said:
Where are you guys going that you need an extra fuel tank? I am not being a smart A$$ but gas stations aren't that far apart. The gas tank that sits on the back seat looks like a bomb waiting to go off, and where does the SO ride with this set up? The tank is the left bag is also a bomb ready to blow you up if hit in the side. Man what are you guys thinking :oops: ? Pap
Pap,

Maybe this will help you out.

Many of us who ride long distances, compete in Endurance Rallies or travel at night in the boonies or are trying to maximze efficiancy use fule cells.

There are certain specifications and safety requirements that these cells must meet in order to be allowed into these events.

Most of us ride solo and the tanks over the rear seat allow some mass centralization. Tail draggers are for a different set of needs (often 2 up riding) and are more complex - requiring a pumping fuel transfer system as opposed to simple gravity feed.

Most LD riders run a fuel cell and try to carry as close to possible to the allowed 11.5 US Gallons. These are a specialized accesory for a small sub group of riders.

I can count a few times pulling up besides an out of gas rider alone in Grizzly country and being able to give them a few gallons. It is a very interesting feeling starting fuel transfer and watching your empty light go out and the needle rise.

Riding in the Bja or the artic with a fuel cell equipped bike makes the ride less tense and I do like the 350 + mile range

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I agree with pap

Looks like riding with a stick of dynamite with you on the back seat.

My distance riding is governed by my smallish bladder, and stiffening

joints. It is a relief to buy gas and walk around and stretch a bit and

possibly smell the roses. To each his own.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Don't forget us commuters... I drive 75 miles per day just for work. It's a pain in the butt stopping for gas every other day.

Pete

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pap said:
Where are you guys going that you need an extra fuel tank? I am not being a smart A$$ but gas stations aren't that far apart. The gas tank that sits on the back seat looks like a bomb waiting to go off, and where does the SO ride with this set up? The tank is the left bag is also a bomb ready to blow you up if hit in the side. Man what are you guys thinking :oops: ?

If you need extra gas wouldn't a plastic gas can make more sense? $20.00 is a small price compared to the crazy prices you guys are paying for a couple of extra gallons of gas.

Pap
Pap:

I plan to participate in an IBA ride this coming September sponsered by the Motorcycle Tourers Forum; www.mctourer.com It's called the 50CC Quest; not to be confused with a standard (Jax, Fl-San Diego, Ca.) 50CC. This ride from NYC to San Fransisco is almost 3,000 miles and is required to be run in 50 hours or less leaving precious little time for gas stops. For me, the auxiliary gas tank is a means to save time and complete the ride requirements.
Hope my explanation, along with other's helps you understand the need for an auxiliary tank on occasion.

Sincerely,

·
Registered
379 Posts
I didn't realise you guys were doing that kind of long rides!! Man I would never be able to ride that long and far without breaks. I knew there was a good reason for the tanks, I just couldn't figure out what it was. Now I know. Thanks
Pap

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Where are you guys going that you need an extra fuel tank? I am not being a smart A$$ but gas stations aren't that far apart.
Come way out west. If you leave Lakeview OR on the way southeast down the only highway that goes that direction, it is 102 miles to the only gas station on the route. If you get there between 6PM and 8AM, they will be closed, and the next station is Winnemucca, NV for a total of 209 miles. Or leave the same Lakeview going north, sign outside of town says next service 122 miles. Or try the Columbia Icefield Parkway - about 100 miles between gas stations. There is a gas station on every corner crossing Death Valley, only problem is no corners for a bundle of miles. Seen the same thing in Utah, Arizona, Vancouver Island and Idaho. At night on US 101 in Oregon, there is nothing open between Crescent City, CA and Coos Bay, OR.

Not all these touring bikes run up and down crowded east coast freeways. Some actually take the lessor traveled roads. I have learned even with the wing and its long range that, in some areas, you never pass an open gas station.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts