GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

This question is particularly addressed to those of you who tend towards the Iron Butt side of things. I live in the heart of deer country in the Ozarks of rural Missouri. I try not to ride excessively after dark, but sometimes it becomes necessary. I am interested in running auxiliary lights that I have seen some of you mount to the edge of your fairings or directly underneath the mirrors. Brand or exact mounting style is not important, but the ability to throw some serious light down the road is. Am not so interested in something that increases my visibility, but in something that will throw a lot of light down the edges of the roadway and into the ditches, especially where the woods come right up to the road. Would wire them so they are only on with my high beams. What do people know about this (besides the comments about its legality)? Are there good LED options that can generate some serious light? HID? Halogen? Fred Harmon will probably be doing the work for me, and since he was not sure about it himself (and I am not a mechanic in any sense of the word), he suggested I ask the Iron Butt guys on the board. Thanks in advance as I will be gone much of today and this evening (unfortunately not on the Wing).

Sincerely,
Russ Schierling

·
Registered
347 Posts
Russ,

There are lots of choices for aux lighting. I currently run Future Vision HID's mounted on the PIAA under the mirror mounts. They throw a tremendous amount of light and I have them adjusted to watch the ditches. They are wired with a relay triggered by the high beams but are also on a separate switch so I can either have them on or turn them off depending on traffic.

Clearwater lights makes LED's that are very popular especially with their low current draw. The Kristas seem to be the weapon of choice right now.

http://www.clearwaterlights.com/products2_pp.html

The advantage to LED's is their instant on ability coupled with low current draw. HID's take a short amount of time to warm up and you have to deal with mounting the ballasts.

Either option will provide you with more than enough light to accomplish your mission.

If you have specific questions - just ask.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Wow. Those are pricey.

I'm interested in the same thing as the OP, particularly for a leg up on deer spotting. I like the PIAA under mirror mount, particularly now that Eureka Boy has shown that it will work with Baker hand wings with a little trimming. It's $60 from Amazon. I'm not sure what lights to get, but I see spending a lot less than $700 on them.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I went the LED route this year all from Amazon with the PIAA mirror mounts. I have less than $200 tied up in everything. I put 2-10W CREE LED's on top for running lights and 2-27W LED Tuff lights on bottom. I love them!! Each set are on independent switches from Electrical connection.

Here are some pics. Don't have any of the light from behind yet.
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/dosxxs_photos/slideshow/Goldwing LED lighting

Here are the lights I ordered. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CQDQJQ/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AVZ15EE/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Check bikemp3 they have new brite ones that go in lower cowl

·
Registered
574 Posts
During daytime riding, I turn off the headlights, and use the Krista's at their lowest setting. Great coverage at night.

·
Love The DCT
11,778 Posts
Hello everyone,

This question is particularly addressed to those of you who tend towards the Iron Butt side of things. I live in the heart of deer country in the Ozarks of rural Missouri. I try not to ride excessively after dark, but sometimes it becomes necessary. I am interested in running auxiliary lights that I have seen some of you mount to the edge of your fairings or directly underneath the mirrors. Brand or exact mounting style is not important, but the ability to throw some serious light down the road is. Am not so interested in something that increases my visibility, but in something that will throw a lot of light down the edges of the roadway and into the ditches, especially where the woods come right up to the road. Would wire them so they are only on with my high beams. What do people know about this (besides the comments about its legality)? Are there good LED options that can generate some serious light? HID? Halogen? Fred Harmon will probably be doing the work for me, and since he was not sure about it himself (and I am not a mechanic in any sense of the word), he suggested I ask the Iron Butt guys on the board. Thanks in advance as I will be gone much of today and this evening (unfortunately not on the Wing).

Sincerely,
Russ Schierling
They are pricey, but if you want some serious LED lighting, the Clearwater Erica LED lights are the way to go, 6,000 lumens. On the high setting, your looking at 60 watts per light. :doorag:

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
:roll::roll::roll: $925.00 :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4::eek:4: WOW !

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I also bought a pair of the RIGID LED lights like FlyGuy except I got mine in the SPOT version. I also run the PIAA mounts and have the Rigid mounted just under the mirrors on top of the mounts. I then bought a pair of self contained HID in a 5 inch housing with ballast enclosed in housing. There is NO WAY you will outrun these lights. These mount to the underside of the light mounts and both are on separate relay switches. I bought the HID lights off ebay and have had one exchanged with no problems. They do pull some volts briefly until they get warmed up but then they are not an issue. I did the IBA ride in Dallas this year and running these lights SWEEPING the ditches were great. My friend Zackybilly runs 2 pair of Kristas and he has no problems seeing also. My pockets were not that deep.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
:agree: I can attest to EarnhardtSportsmans lights - they are good. Looks even better now that he cleaned up his wiring job... :tongue::lol:

PA313498.jpg

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'm familiar with the under-mirror mount in the second link - PIAA 74181, BTW $61 at Amazon and prime eligible.

What about the first one, the PIAA 74008? Is that the under cowl bracket? I've tried searching for installed photos but can only find the bracket by itself.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I did some research? LOL I am not the sharpest tack in the box like my wife says. From what I could find out all HID lights are made in CHINA and then reboxed. The same brand and light HID I bought was sold locally at O'Reilly Auto for $160.00 EACH. I found the same light on ebay with a good warranty for $57.00 and free shipping. Not the most eye appealing but these lights SHINE. I have all ran into a fuse box and relays and after they warm up they shine. The rigid lights were bought locally at $200 per pair.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
But are there any that look half way decent? I can "see" why you want more light to see at night, but the square saddlebags on the 2012 and newer or a MoShade are beautiful. :lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone sell the brackets to mount aux lights under the front headlights? I see the piaa light package on a few websites that mount under the front headlights but haven't found just the brackets for sale.

Also so whats the opinion on mounting under the headlights... Would there be any clearance issues with the front fender at full fork compression?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Does anyone sell the brackets to mount aux lights under the front headlights? I see the piaa light package on a few websites that mount under the front headlights but haven't found just the brackets for sale.

Also so whats the opinion on mounting under the headlights... Would there be any clearance issues with the front fender at full fork compression?
PIAA sells some brackets that you speak of but I think they only come with their lights.
Yes there are clearance problems. I believe anything over a 2" diameter light depending on mounting bracket will hit the top of the fender. A lot of guys fabricate their own brackets for that location.
If you want pretty then get the cowl mounted lights to suit your budget.
If you want function then there are lots of options.
I can replace my CHINESE lights 8 times if need be for the cost of some of these lights.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dirtrider go to cli-maxridinggear.com they sell the PIAA brackets only. Just type in the name and they should come up, Ray

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts